PDA

View Full Version : How many Calif. gun shops would help CGF?

dchang0
10-12-2009, 6:08 PM
Hey, how many of you local gun shops would be willing to participate in a clone of the NRA's "Round Up" program, allowing your customers to add a donation to Calguns Foundation on any purchase?

If the state is going to use you as a tax collector to make money off of our ammo purchases, why can't we use the same approach to collect donations to actually support gun owners?

Experts (not me) could weigh in here on the tax ramifications and paperwork requirements, etc., but I think this could be a huge way to help all gun owners in this state and thereby help yourselves stay in business.

wildhawker
10-12-2009, 6:15 PM
We know a number would, and the forthcoming ffl/vendor display co-venture of CGF and CGN should make for a modest revenue stream.

Jump into Calguns outreach and help us make it happen.

BigDogatPlay
10-12-2009, 6:41 PM
The reception I got from every FFL and ammo seller I delivered AB962 flyers to was overwhelmingly positive.

Even at Big 5.

Money drives politics, but it also trumps them. An attractive co-marketing effort.... who knows?

dchang0
10-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Jump into Calguns outreach and help us make it happen.

That's part of the plan. I'm gradually freeing myself from my other volunteer organizations so that I can devote all my volunteer hours to the pro-gun movement.

But I'm only one guy. We need to tap into the hundreds of thousands of gun owners in this state, especially if they don't have to give much time or much money. A Calguns Round-Up plan would raise a lot of money for our cause, mainly because anybody can typically spare a buck or two when they're at the cash register.

wildhawker
10-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Let me know where you are located and I'll get you hooked up with others who are working on the project.

dchang0
10-13-2009, 1:31 AM
PM'ed you, wildhawker. Lookin' forward to joining the cause in a more substantial way than just sending donations.

leitung
10-13-2009, 4:14 AM
I know a few in the Sacramento area..

RCGE, JK Supply, Just Guns.. e.t.c.

artherd
10-13-2009, 4:27 AM
Great idea - tax wise the donation would not incur it's own taxes since CGF is both a federal and state nonprofit and what we're discussing would constitute a charitable contribution.

rkt88edmo
10-13-2009, 8:06 AM
I am guessing "round up" would be next to impossible for most shops to implement. Can you imagine having to add up 500 receipts for less than a dollar each each month? Unless they have an automated computerized sales/inventory system (which I don't think I've ever seen in a non-chain gunshop) it doesn't seem worth it.

Easier would be simple brochures or a nice copy of the flowchart (or ridiculous buttons ha ha) FS for $5. Shops could buy them upfront, or simply remit the receipts from sales if CGF provides them for free.

What is takes to make such a program successful is the buy in of the shop owners and managers because they have to get their employess excited about "making the sale" to the customer, generally, for these things to work.

Another plus about the brochures is that they can be on display and sell themselves, somewhat.

I work with a different small local group that has had some success selling memberships this way through shops that retail products critical to our sport.