PDA

View Full Version : I need a safe for my ARs. I need your wisdom:)

hkusp9c
10-12-2009, 5:45 PM
I have an ADT alarm installed in my house. so I'm looking for something that's less than $400. Does anyone know any stores or websites that have really good deals going on? or should I wait till Thanksgiving?

Thanx

rubber duckie
10-12-2009, 5:49 PM
lowes or home depot. i have seen a couple going for 400

Desert_Rat
10-12-2009, 5:54 PM
A buddy got one at Costco last year. aroung 375 I think.It's pretty small and ugly,but It serves it's purpose.

IW378
10-12-2009, 5:56 PM
The alarm system will help thwart off would be burglars but it will offer no protection to your firearms in the event of a fire. Look for a safe with a good fire rating. I'd save a bit and buy a good one. You can never have too good of a safe.

HkUSP45
10-12-2009, 6:38 PM
I recommend getting a safe that can hold more then 11 rifles. My safe beginning to fill up fast.

Beelzy
10-12-2009, 6:38 PM
Save your dough for a real safe.

You're better off with a nice hiding spot than a box that holds all your guns,
ready to haul away.

Wulf
10-12-2009, 6:53 PM
Get a cheep locking sheet metal gun cabinet to tide you over while you save the rest of your money for a real fire safe. The cabinet will be useful for less valuable storage (cameras, ammo, mags, etc down the road).

220RR
10-12-2009, 6:58 PM
never go cheap on a safe.or to small.gotta think about future guns

1snotrocket
10-12-2009, 7:16 PM
My buddy got centurion safe at lowes i believe it's 12 guns.Pretty nice safe for under 400.00.I got a sentry model g1459c 14 gun safe.It cost 485.00 delivered i ordered it online.I like my buddys safe better.

IW378
10-12-2009, 8:15 PM
What is the fire rating on these 400 dollar safes ?

Unit74
10-12-2009, 8:26 PM
Costco... Look on the website too...

hkusp9c
10-12-2009, 8:27 PM
And on top of the Alarm system, I insured all the guns. I just really don't like my stuffs getting stolen.

sao
10-12-2009, 9:07 PM
I got a American Security Safe (http://www.amsecusa.com/gun-safes-TF-main.html) at Turners model TF5517. It was 399 IIRC. It fits the bill for me, small, well built, fire resistant. If you have the room or the coin def go bigger. Im no expert, but the Sentry Safes just seemed cheap to me, and their price reflects that. What ever you get, be sure to anchor it in to the floor.

AM9000
10-12-2009, 9:19 PM
I need a safe too...
Is it too much to ask, that you have a gun safe that you can move yourself?
I live in apartment. And don't plan on being here the rest of my life... If a friend and I can lift it, and it can be bolted to the wall or floor, isn't that good enough to deter theft? I only need one that holds about 6 rifles and the same amount of handguns.

Sorry for the thread jack...

HkUSP45
10-12-2009, 10:05 PM
I got that same one. Fire rating is 20 mins. I believe.

I got a American Security Safe (http://www.amsecusa.com/gun-safes-TF-main.html) at Turners model TF5517. It was 399 IIRC. It fits the bill for me, small, well built, fire resistant. If you have the room or the coin def go bigger. Im no expert, but the Sentry Safes just seemed cheap to me, and their price reflects that. What ever you get, be sure to anchor it in to the floor.

tileguy
10-12-2009, 10:07 PM
costco has a winchester 59"x29x22" i just bought one. 30 min. fire rated
499.00- 541.00 with tax. looks great works great. whieghts about 400lbs
great for the price ive seen the same safe for 900.00 online goog luck

slappomatt
10-12-2009, 11:10 PM
What is the fire rating on these 400 dollar safes ?

lol there isnt any. I have one of them and its ok for what I use it for but I am already to the point of needing a better $700+ one.

fcr
10-13-2009, 7:52 AM
Grant Boys in Costa Mesa has Mutual safes at a very good price. Much lower than other Mutual dealers.

akjunkie
10-13-2009, 7:54 AM
here's an interesting video on gunsafes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhOjWHbD6M

fliparch
10-13-2009, 8:21 AM
Check out Stack On gun safes at sportsauthority.com. Stack On also make lockers for the budget conscious gun owners. I don't recommend the lockers since they are not fireproof but a locker is better than none...just make sure you bolt the sucker down.

Lucky Scott
10-13-2009, 8:23 AM
Turners has a sale on them right now.

JagerTroop
10-13-2009, 9:26 AM
Last year I got a Sentry at Sports Auth. on thanksgiving day, for 30% off. A lot of places do the black friday thing, but S.A. does it on Thxgvg Day (the place was dead). They usually have a coupon online for 30% off anything(multiple items/1 purchase) but guns and ammo.

sao
10-13-2009, 10:09 AM
I got that same one. Fire rating is 20 mins. I believe.

The older ones have a 20min rating, the newer ones have a 30min rating. I have an older too :/

dot429
10-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Don't buy a cheap safe. Watch that video the forum member posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhOjWHbD6M

It's no joke. My first safe, a Liberty, $700 -on sale model, turned out to be a glorified ammo locker.

Why spend 700 bucks to protect thousands of dollars of investments?

I would suggest the Browning line made by Prosteel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CpZKMW51Qw

It hurts when you buy it, it really does, but once you have it home it feels so good.

Best,

Michael

Dragunov
10-13-2009, 11:17 AM
I need a safe too...
Is it too much to ask, that you have a gun safe that you can move yourself?
I live in apartment. And don't plan on being here the rest of my life... If a friend and I can lift it, and it can be bolted to the wall or floor, isn't that good enough to deter theft? I only need one that holds about 6 rifles and the same amount of handguns.

Sorry for the thread jack...

I have an old upright, insulated freezer with compressor removed. Bolted to the wall with a lock installed. It will hold 13 rifles and all supplies + about 3000rnds/ammo. It will hold 26 rifles, cleaning supplies and around 1000rnds/ammo in a pinch.

I paid nothing for it as the used appliance guy was glad to be rid of it. I got $20 worth of copper out of it. It keeps weapons and ammo at a constant temperature and humidity and is decently fire resistant.

But it's kinda' ugly.

EDR
10-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Spend the money and get a Fort Knox. Don't skimp when your talking about what may be 1000's of $$$ worth of gear. AND, you can use it for deeds, camera equip, photos, backups of computers, etc.

JTecalo
10-14-2009, 12:26 AM
I have the Lowe's 375 safe. Fire rating is 20 min, not a lot, but better than nothing.

jmf_tracy
10-14-2009, 12:31 AM
check out costco.com
heres your ticket for only $1000:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11487046&search=safe&Mo=32&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=safe&Ntt=safe&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Two Shots
10-14-2009, 3:55 PM
I just checked out a new safe dealer in Ceres right off Hwy99. The owner is super nice and has a good selection of safes he will get the right safe you want at a decent price.
If anyone is interested in a good safe in the Modesto area or anywhere U.S.A he can help with sales, relocation, Installs. I gave him the 411 on Calguns and hope he'll be stopping by.

The company is Bostelman Safe & Vault
www.bostelmansafe.com
209-538-8858

4D5auto
10-14-2009, 7:24 PM
Fort Knox! If I recall, mine weighs in at 2000lbs.+

lawaia
10-14-2009, 7:38 PM
If there's a Bass Pro Shop up there near the prison, you should take a look. They have really nice safes with high fire ratings for low $.

bombadillo
10-14-2009, 7:54 PM
Add a hundred and get the one from Costco for 499.99. They just upgraded the keypad on it and its a lot nicer than the other alternatives for the same price. Granite security products is the manufacturer and its a "24" long gun capacity safe. It'll hold about 12-15 scoped AR's though.

X-NewYawker
10-14-2009, 8:27 PM
Costco - get a Cannon.

WarEagle
10-14-2009, 9:42 PM
I like Cannon for a hefty, feature-rich safe in the $400-$600 range (if you find them on sale). Digital keypad, internal power outlet for dehumidifiers. I've seen them at Costco and Tractor Supply Co. I think the fire rating is 30-minutes and they weigh about 500lbs. empty. They are worth a look if you are on a budget.

4D5auto
10-15-2009, 3:10 PM
Remember, you get what you pay for! You wouldn't skimp on the type or brand of gun you like, or it's accessories, so why should skimp on a quality safe? A good one will cost about as much as a couple quality guns, with fire ratings well above the lessor cost brands. I have a Costco Cannon, as a secondary, lessor essiential safe, only to hold what is of lessor value to me, which is scopes, mags, parts etc. If you invest in a safe, invest in a good one! What I like about Fort Knox is, you can buy a Fort Knox today and upgrade to a better one years later, for only the cost difference between the two. I took them up on that and got the next size up. Was well worth the $650.00 difference!

http://www.ftknox.com/

http://www.ftknox.com/redesign/safes/index.htm

EDR
10-15-2009, 3:15 PM
What I like about Fort Knox is, you can buy a Fort Knox today and upgrade to a better one years later, for only the cost difference between the two. I took them up on that and got the next size up. Was well worth the $650.00 difference!

REALLY??!! I didn't know that!! Man, I've been hurting for space for a while now. Wife took half the safe and at the time I didn't complain too much as I only had the Glock 21 at the time.

Hmmm....

jyo
10-15-2009, 6:53 PM
Craigslist often has some gun safe listings at used prices---don't let the seller help deliver or know your address as they will know the combination to the safe. Often really good deals especially if they have to move. Be prepared to bring a crew and a large truck or rent a truck.

redcliff
10-15-2009, 10:24 PM
I've been thinking long and hard about a Bedbunker lately. http://www.bedgunsafe.com/

4D5auto
10-16-2009, 12:11 AM
REALLY??!! I didn't know that!! Man, I've been hurting for space for a while now. Wife took half the safe and at the time I didn't complain too much as I only had the Glock 21 at the time.

Hmmm....

Yes!

Remember, whatever size safe you may think you want or need, always get the next size up! trust me, you will not only see what I mean, but you will use it! Hopefully to buy more guns!:):)

EDR
10-16-2009, 9:05 AM
Yes!

Remember, whatever size safe you may think you want or need, always get the next size up! trust me, you will not only see what I mean, but you will use it! Hopefully to buy more guns!:):)

The sad thing is I DID get a size bigger than I thought I needed. I've got the Defender 31". Damn thing is 850lbs empty. I'd like to get the 41"er but that kicks it up to about 1250lbs.....EMPTY!

EDR
10-16-2009, 9:32 AM
Anyone have that biometric keypad? Anyone do the retrofit?

stix213
10-16-2009, 12:26 PM
I recommend getting a safe that can hold more then 11 rifles. My safe beginning to fill up fast.

I agree with that. Silly me got a 5 rifle safe, and now that I want to make another purchase I need to figure out how I can fit it in there! Going to have to start hanging guns on hooks in there I think :)

4D5auto
10-18-2009, 8:17 PM
The sad thing is I DID get a size bigger than I thought I needed. I've got the Defender 31". Damn thing is 850lbs empty. I'd like to get the 41"er but that kicks it up to about 1250lbs.....EMPTY!

The one I have now is about 2000+ lbs! I left it on the pallet it was deliverd on and rented a pallet jack to move it around.

WeekendWarrior
10-19-2009, 1:55 PM
WWRTW

badtrout
10-19-2009, 2:16 PM
Wifey and I just got a Cannon safe. about $1100 after tax and bolting to foundation. 12-24 rifles depending on how you configure it.
60 min fire rating @ 1200f
not cheap, but even the CFO (wife) agreed it was worth it. fits all important paperwork and, of course, at least 12 of the non-home defense weapons
save up the dough and spend a bit more for a good investment - it's like any other insurance - hopefully you'll never need it, but glad you have it

take pictures of all your gear for insurance: digital pictures you can email yourself (gmail is great) and always have if needed (when your computer/memory cards melt in the fire)

bombadillo
10-19-2009, 4:32 PM
BEWARE OF CHEAP SAFES! DONT LISTEN TO ANYONE TELLING YOU TO BUY A HOME DEPOT SAFE!

Cheap Safes can be pryed open in under two minutes by someone with a crowbar. You need to make sure the safe has 1/4" steel if you really want to protect your ARs. Those cheap safe's are only 1/8th inch can can easily be punctured and broken into with the most basic tools. Don't believe me?

Any professional Burglar will recognize a vulnerable safe if they see one. Check out this video demo.

nBhOjWHbD6M

The main problem I have with this video and its said over and over again, that nobody leaves their safe in the middle of a 20'x20' room not bolted to anything if they have half a brain. I leave the safe door opening side in the corner so you cannot get any pry room with a long breaker bar first of all. Its loaded with a heck of a lot more weight than one long gun, and if you're smart its anchored in at least 2 places so that nobody comes in and pushes it out of the way. I only have a 500 dollar costco winchester safe but its built heavy enough that only a REALLY dedicated thief would spend the time it took to unbolt it and try to get into it. I understand that most any safe can be broken into with enough time given, but they're used almost more as a deterrent than anything else.

badtrout
10-19-2009, 9:40 PM
The main problem I have with this video and its said over and over again, that nobody leaves their safe in the middle of a 20'x20' room not bolted to anything if they have half a brain. I leave the safe door opening side in the corner so you cannot get any pry room with a long breaker bar first of all. Its loaded with a heck of a lot more weight than one long gun, and if you're smart its anchored in at least 2 places so that nobody comes in and pushes it out of the way. I only have a 500 dollar costco winchester safe but its built heavy enough that only a REALLY dedicated thief would spend the time it took to unbolt it and try to get into it. I understand that most any safe can be broken into with enough time given, but they're used almost more as a deterrent than anything else.

Excellent point....