PDA

View Full Version : Opposition: Naive & Stupid or Deceivers?

Phil3
10-12-2009, 2:40 PM
When thinking of our opposition, what do you think are the REAL motivations behind these people's actions?

The oft stated position of not being against guns, we just want sensible gun laws, etc., all sounds good, but do these people actually believe such laws would really help anything? Can they be that naive?

Or, do they just hate guns, want to rid the world of them all, and just say the above, to make it sound more palatable? Essentially, lying.

Maybe there are both types out there. I just can't believe there are people stupid enough to believe these laws will achieve anything. But, maybe they are. God help us.

bwiese
10-12-2009, 2:45 PM
It's a mixture of both.

The deceivers lead the naive.

kf6tac
10-12-2009, 2:46 PM
The politicians: deceivers

The people who elect them and support their anti-gun bills: largely naive and stupid

bodger
10-12-2009, 2:46 PM
Ignorance mostly I think. All they know about guns is that they kill people and there is so much control or proposed control over them by the government that they must be as evil as they are reputed to be.

I've often wondered about that. Have guys like Feuer and DeLeon ever fired a gun? Or know anything about the sport/hobby aspects of firearms apart from self defense.

Self defense, by the way, seems to me to be something that many people think should be criminalized.

berto
10-12-2009, 2:47 PM
They're liars plain and simple. They know they can't get rid of guns in one swoop so it's baby steps. They retreat to "common sense" measures "for the children" but their end game is handguns and eventually all guns. Don't think for a second that if they got handguns they'd leave the "long tradition of hunting" alone with all the bunny huggers in their midst.

orangeusa
10-12-2009, 2:51 PM
Be gentle - I'm a relative noob to 2A subjects, but how in heck has DeLeon been so successful in passing this garb? LA and now the State!!!

Sorry if this history lesson takes this thread sideways - I'll bow out....

Peter W Bush
10-12-2009, 2:55 PM
Its the sheep that follow these wolves. Its the same people that own guns and value their rights to keep and bear arms who voted for Obama.

bodger
10-12-2009, 3:15 PM
Be gentle - I'm a relative noob to 2A subjects, but how in heck has DeLeon been so successful in passing this garb? LA and now the State!!!

Sorry if this history lesson takes this thread sideways - I'll bow out....

DeLeon is an abject lesson in the sheeple following what they think is for the good of all. he's from a district where there's a lot of gang crime and he plays right into that.

Damn near anyone can get elected by the base of LA voters as long as they are pro-sanctuary for the illegals and aniti-gun.

orangeusa
10-12-2009, 3:19 PM
Fear is a great motivator, too bad it was aimed towards the wrong solution.

Thanks for the info!!!

locosway
10-12-2009, 3:24 PM
The people who want all guns banned in their fantasy world are leading the naive. Most people have no idea, nor do they care to know how a gun works or the politics behind it.

Any educated person knows that removing the guns does not unlearn how they work. It does not unlearn the knowledge of violence. From the beginning of time man has been violent and murderous. It's part of life, which unfortunately can not be controlled. It's understandable for people to want complete control so they can understand what's going on. However in reality there are no absolutes other than death and taxes.

There will be violence, people will die, there will always be a criminal. Removing one medium from the equation does nothing but affect the law abiding. The only way to deal with this is to bring back the death penalty and ensure people serve their time and repay society for crimes commited.

Phil3
10-12-2009, 3:32 PM
DeLeon is an abject lesson in the sheeple following what they think is for the good of all. he's from a district where there's a lot of gang crime and he plays right into that.

Damn near anyone can get elected by the base of LA voters as long as they are pro-sanctuary for the illegals and aniti-gun.

Last data I can find is that De Leon's district (45th) is 58% Democratic, 12% Republican, a few Greens, and the rest (27%) unidentified. But, in the November 2008 election, De Leon got 82% of the vote. Republicans were something like 15%. De Leon is not going anywhere for a while, if ever.

- Phil

rc50cal
10-12-2009, 3:42 PM
The public is scared. Fear is it's primary motivator. Firearms can be used to kill and many people are panicked about violence so they will support anything that reduces the number of guns in society. Politicians are power hungry and also fearful.

GrizzlyGuy
10-12-2009, 4:01 PM
Part of the motivation is to strengthen their power, and cause a solidly blue state to turn even bluer at an ever increasing rate.

Each time they pass a new gun law, some gun owners get fed up and leave the state. Each time they raise taxes on the wealthy, some of the wealthy get fed up and leave the state. There are many other instances of increasing government control causing liberty-minded people to get fed up and leave (education, business, etc.).

The net effect is that the statists, who are already in power, strengthen their power base via attrition of their opponents. Not only that, but when you add in ongoing illegal immigration and the requirement to count all persons (legal or illegal) in the census to determine how many representatives each state gets the next time around... the California statists get an "amplifying effect" and increase their power nationally as well.

They are pursuing a repugnant strategy, but an effective one nonetheless.

Mute
10-12-2009, 4:04 PM
Liars! All!

tophatjones
10-12-2009, 4:13 PM
Most of the people who are anti gun are just so because they are ignorant.
They believe it is a very small issue for them because they don't shoot, when in fact it is their individual right taken away from them by the collective government. It is frustrating to deal with people as apathetic about their rights as these, but the good news is they can learn.

The truly anti gunners are out there but are the minority. These are the ones who may be pushing a secret political agenda and using the sob stories to manipulate. The others who are zealously anti gun but aren't doing it for personal gain may indeed have a psychological problem. See this article by Sarah Thompson, MD. My current sig is from this article.

http://www.nsanz.org.nz/docs/Sarah%20Thompson%20MD%20-%20Antigun%20Mentality.pdf