PDA

View Full Version : Creation of CSU Chico Gun Club

Norccer
10-12-2009, 2:22 PM
Hello,

I have discussed this with fellow peers at CSU Chico and we have created an unofficial gun club. If you attend CSU Chico and have interest in joining we would love to have you. We thought that it would be a good idea to create because four of us met each other in the same class. Based off of this it seems like there could be a large group of gun owners at CSU Chico.

Facebook group: CSU Chico Gun Club

We would also like to try to create an official club at CSU Chico if enough members join and we can create a sound structure for the club.

Cheers

Hunter4life1990
10-12-2009, 3:20 PM
how bout one for sac state? :)

Gregchico
10-12-2009, 4:27 PM
For what it is worth, we tried this about 10 years ago at Chico State. We even did a video and information booth/table at one of the club days in the quad. Not too many other people took it seriously and we received a lot of "Trench Coat Mafia" and "Columbine" comments. It was fun to get together and shoot, but did not last, due to lack of support.

I say this not to discourage you, just for information only.

Norccer
10-12-2009, 4:38 PM
For what it is worth, we tried this about 10 years ago at Chico State. We even did a video and information booth/table at one of the club days in the quad. Not too many other people took it seriously and we received a lot of "Trench Coat Mafia" and "Columbine" comments. It was fun to get together and shoot, but did not last, due to lack of support.

I believe that someone on campus told me this previously. Another key reason for the club is to get people together just for shoots and hanging out. The only way we would try to make it official is if we got a steady amount of members in the club that took it seriously.

I think that there are a lot of people with interests in owning a rifle right now because of the current times. Like I said, by just talking with a fellow calgunner in class a few weeks ago we met two people sitting right by us that shoot frequently.

I have past experience with being in high level positions in clubs so I believe that I know what it takes for a club to succeed (not saying that you guys did not). Also, since times are different perhaps we have a possibility in succeeding. If anything else we can still meet some new friends and have fun at the range!

It is also beneficial that I am exceedingly handsome so I will be a good public figure. :p Just playing!

hybridatsun350
10-12-2009, 4:41 PM
how bout one for sac state? :)

+1

I'd be in! :D

Young Version
10-12-2009, 8:29 PM

We appreciate the input.

Typically, I would agree with you. However, the political climate on campus has surprised me recently. A couple years ago, I rarely heard gun chatter, and the general opinion of the student body seemed to be that restrictions of their ownership were for the collective well-being. Lately, I'm hearing more and more small government, pro-gun sentiment.

It's impossible to gauge the feelings of the campus entirely accurately, and it's entirely possible that our approach may be myopic, but we figure it's worth a shot. At the very least, we can say we tried.

sao
10-12-2009, 8:41 PM
Can I be a member by proxy? CSULB!!!

Requiem
10-12-2009, 9:55 PM
solano community college? :D

berg
10-12-2009, 10:01 PM
We started one at the College of San Mateo:
http://www.heypete.com/csmrc/

At it's height a couple years ago it was the largest club on campus.

There is a simple process to start your own on your own campus. I encourage you to get organized and do some outreach to your fellow student gun enthusiasts.

Gregchico
10-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Again, I was not trying to pee in your Cheerios.

I think it is a great idea and admittedly the group we had back then was not as organised as it could have been or as charismatic as we could have been. With a little more support from the general population of the school (including teachers, good luck with that one) it could have worked.

Hopefully you guys will get it to work and start something great. Good luck.

Greg
(Graduated in 2001, Econ)

Crawfish141
10-12-2009, 11:07 PM
I'm a student and would be thrilled to join, however currently none of my guns are with me:(

Flying Bones
10-13-2009, 7:14 AM
I'm an alum....i'm in! Kinda. And you ^^^crawfish^^^ can shoot my 10/22!

chuckdc
10-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Once you get an official club started, then you can apply for ASB funding, too. That'd be a hoot. Make the ASB folks squirm as they try to figure out ways to deny it to you, so as not to be seen supporting shooting.

Barbarossa
10-13-2009, 12:28 PM
2000 - 2007 Alum here. (I blame Normal St. Bar!)

sspen003
10-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Good for you man. I was thinking about starting one here too but I think I would be chased off campus by a liberal mob throwing buckets of pigs blood at me

caveman1
10-13-2009, 7:22 PM
1995 Alum checking in.
+1 on the club.
Reddengray Pub got me!

GearHead
10-13-2009, 7:42 PM
I've been thinking about trying to start a club down here...but I doubt it would get approved. Private universities seem to be able to do whatever they want for no reason.

stomper4x4
10-14-2009, 8:42 PM
Joined the FB page :)

alangandy
10-15-2009, 9:19 PM
Great idea! Don't forget to solicit alumni support!

Class of '95

snaggletooth
10-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Any SF State folks out there?

berg
10-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Any SF State folks out there?

I go to SF State.

snaggletooth
10-16-2009, 12:18 AM
You ever think about starting a SFSU gun club?

osis32
10-16-2009, 10:24 AM
hahaha sfsu gun club that would never fly. san francisco is notoriously anti gun. twice theyve tried to ban handguns within the city limits.

berg
10-16-2009, 10:43 AM
You ever think about starting a SFSU gun club?

Not really. Besides I'm about to graduate. I'm on the D/L there, but I do have an Arfcom sticker on my laptop.

The problem with the club at CSM was we were not allowed to do any actual shooting as a club event. There was a liability issue. The school was not against a shooting event, per se, they just did not allow any club to conduct risky activities. This included the ski club going on ski trips, etc.