PDA

View Full Version : Please Show Appreciation to legislators on our side

CalNRA
10-12-2009, 11:42 AM
I am seeing more and more suggestions of "vote out the incumbent" from people who consider themselves to be independents.

I appreciate the sentiment, I am not a registered voter of any party, but I see that as a thinly veiled attack on Republican and Democratic legislators who voted against BS anti-gun bills. Why should we vote out incumbents who have been pro-gun, especially in California?

The last thing we should be doing is to alienate legislators who have been our friends on 2nd Amendment issues.

So before you get on your high horse, please show some appreciation to legislators who have been on our side all along.

Gator Monroe
10-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Ditto don't make GOP legislators think we will hold them responsable for AB962 when they held up their end with a straight up party line vote against. (We all know that this is a Democrat Bill )

bwiese
10-12-2009, 11:50 AM
I am seeing more and more suggestions of "vote out the incumbent" from people who consider themselves to be independents.

I appreciate the sentiment, I am not a registered voter of any party, but I see that as a thinly veiled attack on Republican and Democratic legislators who voted against BS anti-gun bills. Why should we vote out incumbents who have been pro-gun, especially in California?

The last thing we should be doing is to alienate legislators who have been our friends on 2nd Amendment issues.

So before you get on your high horse, please show some appreciation to legislators who have been on our side all along.

There is some merit to what you say. It's especially true for Dem legislators that may be "voting out of their skin" a bit - thank them profusely.

I will add, however, that quite a few, especially Republican legislators, think that voting "NO" is enough and take gunnies for granted.

We need legislators to carry a bunch of incremental pro-gun bills. They may or may not pass the first time out, but with repeated application we can get some hooks in separately from the courts doing work.

One legislator told our NRA/CRPA team this year that he "forgot" to carry a bill.

Look what the single-shot exemption passed in 2006 got us ;) Accumulating small changes like this can start snowballing.

Bud Fox
10-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Is there a list of people that voted for and against AB962? That could help us get started on throwing the voted FOR crowd out.

CalNRA
10-12-2009, 11:53 AM
there is a list in a different thread, but please don't generalize it on a party line basis.

Bud Fox
10-12-2009, 11:55 AM
there is a list in a different thread, but please don't generalize it on a party line basis.

Agreed, but I'd never do that. I'll try and find the list of how folks voted on AB962.

ripcurlksm
10-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Assembly Votes on AB962
UNOFFICIAL BALLOT
MEASURE: AB 962
AUTHOR: De Leon
TOPIC: Ammunition.
DATE: 09/11/2009
MOTION: AB 962 De Leon Concurrence in Senate Amendments
(AYES 43. NOES 33.) (PASS)

AYES

Ammiano Beall Block Blumenfield
Bradford Brownley Buchanan Charles Calderon
Carter Coto Davis De La Torre
De Leon Eng Evans Feuer
Fong Furutani Hayashi Hernandez
Hill Huffman Jones Krekorian
Lieu Bonnie Lowenthal Ma Mendoza
Monning Nava John A. Perez Portantino
Ruskin Salas Saldana Skinner
Solorio Swanson Torlakson Torres
Torrico Yamada Bass

NOES

Adams Anderson Arambula Bill Berryhill
Tom Berryhill Blakeslee Conway Cook
DeVore Emmerson Fletcher Fuller
Gaines Galgiani Garrick Gilmore
Hagman Hall Harkey Huber
Jeffries Knight Logue Miller
Nestande Niello Nielsen V. Manuel Perez
Silva Smyth Audra Strickland Tran
Villines

ABSENT, ABSTAINING, OR NOT VOTING

Caballero Chesbro Fuentes Vacancy

Senate votes on AB962

UNOFFICIAL BALLOT
MEASURE: AB 962
AUTHOR: De Leon
TOPIC: Ammunition.
DATE: 09/10/2009
MOTION: Assembly 3rd Reading AB962 De Leon By Cedillo
(AYES 21. NOES 18.) (PASS)

AYES

Alquist Calderon Cedillo Corbett
DeSaulnier Florez Hancock Kehoe
Leno Liu Lowenthal Oropeza
Padilla Pavley Price Romero
Simitian Steinberg Wiggins Wolk
Yee

NOES

Aanestad Ashburn Benoit Cogdill
Correa Cox Denham Ducheny
Dutton Hollingsworth Huff Maldonado
Negrete McLeod Runner Strickland Walters
Wright Wyland

ABSENT, ABSTAINING, OR NOT VOTING

Harman

CalNRA
10-12-2009, 11:58 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=230699

blackberg
10-12-2009, 12:22 PM
is there a recommended way to start working closer with our assemblymen and senators? both mine where noes.

-bb

bwiese
10-12-2009, 12:27 PM
is there a recommended way to start working closer with our assemblymen and senators? both mine where noes.

-bb

Thank them for their help.

Tell them that, however, that passive action only goes so far and you're tired as a gunnie of no *achievable, incremental* progun legislation being proposed/carried recently - and that you'd appreciate it if he'd talk with NRA CA Liaison Ed Worley or CRPA Liaison Tom Pedersen on how he can help and you'd like to hear a report back of specific action taken :)

inbox485
10-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Why should we vote out incumbents who have been pro-gun, especially in California?

Because there is more to politics than guns. When CA passed the largest tax increase in the nations history, there was not a single GOP member that stood against it in any meaningful way, and the press covered for them. They got together decided who would take the final hit on the vote, they voted for sections of the bill knowing that they would be amended later and in some cases just claimed ignorance to the details.

I don't want any more anti-gunners in the legislature either, but if any incumbent is opposed by somebody even remotely pro-gun, vote the back stabber out.

Gator Monroe
10-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Dont focus on "Just Democrats" & move along.

orangeusa
10-12-2009, 1:04 PM
I called a couple of assembly people only to find that I didn't have one !!!

But the one's I did call were VERY CLEAR what their positions were, and they voted just like they said they would. And they were from BOTH parties.

But the votes in Senate and the Assembly WERE pretty close. So there are a good lot of folks WE should thank.

That's the only thing I can do right now that will make me feel better. I'm just NUMB. But, it's my first shot at any political process and I'm 51 years old!!! Dust myself off,.... meh..... wait for the funk to go away.....