PDA

View Full Version : (10/12/09) It seems that the In-Ko-Pah shooting area is still open

DukeofSD
10-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Copied from http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=225634

(I started this thread just so that people see the new info)

It seems that the In-Ko-Pah shooting area is still open

I decided to take a drive up there on Saturday (10/10/09) to see what is going on for myself. The original Carrizo Creek Range area has no shooting signs and has had a thorough cleaning. All of the trash that was large enough to pick up was in a big blue dumpster waiting to be hauled away.

I continued to drive east on old hwy 80 until I reached the small Boarder Patrol check point (on hwy 80). I spoke with a BP agent and asked if there was an open shooting spot in the area. The BP agent said that the area off of the In-Ko-Pah road off ramp is still open for shooting. He told me to go to the visitors kiosk on the south side of old hwy 80 and take the dirt road to the west. He said told me to make sure that I went back in far enough to get off of the private property and to shoot at the rocky hill to the east. I was driving a car so I decided to come back on Sunday (10/11/09).

I took a group of 8 people in three vehicles up there on Sunday (10/11/09). I spoke with a BP agent at a gas station on Carrizo Gorge Rd. and he advised us to turn onto the dirt road as if we were going to the Carrizo Creek Range and to drive toward the boarder fence and to turn left at the boarder fence and follow the BP dirt road until it runs into the rocky hill to the east. He then said to turn to the left, find a spot, and shoot at the hill. I think his reasoning for the round-about way in was to keep us off of the private property. The other dirt road had several “private property – no shooting” signs, but it looks like the area closer to the boarder is open for shooting. We shot for 3-4 hours without any interruption from BP. They drove by on the main dirt road several times and didn’t seem to have any interest in us. We were one of about 5-10 groups of shooters out there on Sunday and didn’t have any problems with BP or BLM.

Recap of important info:

1. It seems that the In-Ko-Pah shooting area is still open.

2. The info has not yet been confirmed with BLM.
(it’s Columbus Day)

3. The info from BP was from agents not supervisors, but all 4 agents
(3 first day, 1 second day) were very nice and had no problem with
people legally shooting in that area.

4. Keep off of the private property. (I’m not sure if the dirt road to the
east is a private road or if the private property signs are referring to
the property next to the road.)

5. It seems that the BP considers the Airport Mesa area is just the hill
that was the backstop for the Carrizo Creek Range.

6. Be careful (You will be shooting at a big pile of rocks.)

7. CLEAN UP (The place is a mess.)

I hope this helps,

Duke of SD

DukeofSD
10-15-2009, 6:20 AM
I received a voice mail from David Briery (951-697-5220) at the BLM yesterday (10/14/09). He said that Daniel Stuart (760-352-0737) is the person that knows most about the Airport Mesa area. I called Mr. Stuart and received a voice mail back from him yesterday. He said that the In-Ko-Pah area is not affected by the Airport Mesa closer because that side of the valley is all privately owned land.

What I found out about In-Ko-Pah:

- BLM says it’s O.K. for shooting

- Boarder Patrol says it’s O.K. for shooting

- Land owner has “no trespassing – no shooting” signs up near the road, but I didn’t see any signs by the boarder

Good Luck,
Duke of SD

rumblebee
10-15-2009, 9:36 AM
Thanks D of SD.....the last sentance is a little confusing though:confused:

I received a voice mail from David Briery (951-697-5220) at the BLM yesterday (10/14/09). He said that Daniel Stuart (760-352-0737) is the person that knows most about the Airport Mesa area. I called Mr. Stuart and received a voice mail back from him yesterday. He said that the In-Ko-Pah area is not affected by the Airport Mesa closer because that side of the valley is all privately owned land.

What I found out about In-Ko-Pah:

- BLM says it’s O.K. for shooting

- Boarder Patrol says it’s O.K. for shooting

- Land owner has “no trespassing – no shooting” signs up near the road, but I didn’t see any signs by the boarder

Good Luck,
Duke of SD

DukeofSD
10-15-2009, 10:28 AM

the last sentance is a little confusing though:confused:

I put that in there because I don’t know who owns the property or where the property line ends. I assume that the owner put up the signs but doesn’t seem to be monitoring the area. I didn’t want to say that it was O.K. to shoot there and have someone get a ticket for trespassing. All I know is that the BLM and BP said that they didn’t mind and nobody bothered me when I went up there.

People should do what they are comfortable with and clean up after themselves and we will see what happens. If you are comfortable driving past no trespassing signs O.K. if not, that’s O.K. too. It would be nice to know who owns the property and where the property lines end.

I think that if you drive in at the Carrizo Creek area and follow the road along the boarder fence you miss the “private property - no shooting” signs. At least that way you could try to play dumb if anyone hassles you.

rumblebee
10-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Gotcha, thanks again. I can play dumb with the best of them ;)

I put that in there because I don’t know who owns the property or where the property line ends. I assume that the owner put up the signs but doesn’t seem to be monitoring the area. I didn’t want to say that it was O.K. to shoot there and have someone get a ticket for trespassing. All I know is that the BLM and BP said that they didn’t mind and nobody bothered me when I went up there.

People should do what they are comfortable with and clean up after themselves and we will see what happens. If you are comfortable driving past no trespassing signs O.K. if not, that’s O.K. too. It would be nice to know who owns the property and where the property lines end.

I think that if you drive in at the Carrizo Creek area and follow the road along the boarder fence you miss the “private property - no shooting” signs. At least that way you could try to play dumb if anyone hassles you.

DukeofSD
10-16-2009, 6:13 AM
BTT - for weekend shooters