PDA

View Full Version : The 10% Challenge

Dr Rockso
10-12-2009, 10:02 AM
(Not Wes "TenPercentFirearms" related)

Alright, so we just got kicked in the teeth with regards to AB962. It's become clear that the winning strategy for RKBA in California is a route through the courts, and we all know that costs money.

Now for the challenge. From now on I'm pledging to donate ten percent of any firearms related purchase - guns, ammo, accessories, etc... - to CGF, SAF, CRPA, or NRA. If I can't afford the extra 10% then I can't afford the item, simple as that. First check is now inbound to CGF, retroactive for some purchases made over the last couple of months. If you can afford to be a gun-owner in CA, you can afford to do at least this.

mmartin
10-12-2009, 1:58 PM
ok, so I'll meet your 10% on firearms purchases and raise you 10% of my bellydance income.

megan

tiki
10-12-2009, 2:03 PM
Sweet! I'll take a belly dance. :)

Dr Rockso
10-12-2009, 2:07 PM
ok, so I'll meet your 10% on firearms purchases and raise you 10% of my bellydance income.

megan

Fine, I'll donate 100% of my bellydance income :chris:

mmartin
10-12-2009, 2:36 PM
Sweet! I'll take a belly dance. :)

no problem, make the check payable to CGF...
megan.
a.k.a. aziza sa'id

Fat_Rat
10-12-2009, 2:40 PM

Ill take one of those. :eek:

HAHA :p

mosinnagantm9130
10-12-2009, 2:45 PM

:eek: ROTFLOL

1859sharps
10-12-2009, 2:54 PM
this isn't a half bad idea. But it can be even simpler.

NRA in years past tried to get the membership to imaging what could be done if once a year ALL members contributed the cost of 1 box of ammo to fight legal/legislation battles.

I have seen it posted here that calguns is up to 30,000 members. what would happen if we all donated the cost of 1 box of ammo. this is a $10 - $20 donation on average. split the difference

15 x 30,000 = $450,000.

Now, it isn't reasonable to expect regular donations from everyone since everyone's financial situation is different. But if you can squeeze out even 1 trip to the range a year, you can squeeze out at least 1 contribution a year of 10, 20, or 25 dollars. Or the equal of 1 box of ammo.

just a thought.

fullrearview
10-12-2009, 2:57 PM

If that is the only money CGF brings in......We are screwed!:D

SwissFluCase
10-12-2009, 3:08 PM

megan

I worked in performaing arts for years and stage managed many bellydance shows. I met a few, but not a lot, of pro-2A bellydancers.

That said, I'm still shopping for a SIG P210. I'll donate 10% of the price of that! :D

Regards,

SwissFluCase

Dr Rockso
10-12-2009, 3:20 PM
this isn't a half bad idea. But it can be even simpler.

NRA in years past tried to get the membership to imaging what could be done if once a year ALL members contributed the cost of 1 box of ammo to fight legal/legislation battles.

I have seen it posted here that calguns is up to 30,000 members. what would happen if we all donated the cost of 1 box of ammo. this is a $10 - $20 donation on average. split the difference

15 x 30,000 = $450,000.

Now, it isn't reasonable to expect regular donations from everyone since everyone's financial situation is different. But if you can squeeze out even 1 trip to the range a year, you can squeeze out at least 1 contribution a year of 10, 20, or 25 dollars. Or the equal of 1 box of ammo.

just a thought.

I think that's a great thought, but there should be a distinction between the gun enthusiasts on Calguns and maybe someone who owns a deer rifle or keeps a handgun in his sock drawer. It would be great if the latter would donate a $20, or just join the NRA (polls show that over 20 million Americans claim to be NRA members, whereas the actual number is 4 million).

If you're posting on Calguns it's likely that you're more heavily invested in your guns than the other group, meaning that you should also be more heavily invested in protecting gun rights. I think that the percentage idea scales very well in that regard.

mmartin
10-12-2009, 4:08 PM
I worked in performaing arts for years and stage managed many bellydance shows. I met a few, but not a lot, of pro-2A bellydancers.
SwissFluCase
we're out there. more now that the gothic group has discovered the art.
you can usually spot us because we're the ones in camo colored costumes.:D

I've actually got about 20 of my students ready to go shooting for the first time... woohoo! bellydancers go shooting.
maybe I'll make CGF donation part of the the entry ticket...
megan

dchang0
10-12-2009, 4:17 PM
I wonder if there's a way to set up California retailers with a clone of the NRA's "Round Up Program," to benefit CGF... Of course, we'd have to round up more than just to the nearest dollar with fewer members/shoppers than the entire country... Maybe a Round Up to the Nearest $5 choice in all Calif. gun shops...

SwissFluCase
10-12-2009, 7:09 PM
I've actually got about 20 of my students ready to go shooting for the first time... woohoo! bellydancers go shooting.

Wow! Good job. Please let me know how that goes. I am always trying to get new shooters into the game and I would love to know hwo it goes.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

mexrunner
10-12-2009, 7:48 PM
gothic bellydancers, who shoot thats awesome.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
10-12-2009, 8:18 PM
Now for the challenge. From now on I'm pledging to donate ten percent of any firearms related purchase - guns, ammo, accessories, etc... - to CGF, SAF, CRPA, or NRA. If I can't afford the extra 10% then I can't afford the item, simple as that. First check is now inbound to CGF, retroactive for some purchases made over the last couple of months. If you can afford to be a gun-owner in CA, you can afford to do at least this.

This is a good idea. I also think it would be a GREAT IDEA at gun shows, people determine 10% of what they purchased at the gun show, and came by the Calguns booth and made the donation there!

RP1911
10-12-2009, 8:56 PM
I usually donate $s after I sell stuff or I auction items off to raise $s for CGF.

Electricboy
10-13-2009, 12:34 AM
That puts things in a different light. Just $1 for five pro-gun groups per month. CGN, CGF, SAF, CRPA, or NRA. $60 per year.

Ok, my daughter cant have my change any more.... its going in my new pro-gun bucket.

Ofcourse my family law lawyer cost me a sniper rifle. :censored:

mmartin
10-13-2009, 9:21 AM
Wow! Good job. Please let me know how that goes. I am always trying to get new shooters into the game and I would love to know hwo it goes.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

oh I'm certain you'll hear about it! in a good way. most likely because I'll be posting it here...

haven't decided if we're going to wear sparkly bits to the range or not... but probably we will.
megan

Rick530
10-13-2009, 9:41 AM
Donated this AM.

POLICESTATE
10-13-2009, 9:56 AM

Gothic bellydancers? Isn't that just like gothic ballet? I shudder to think about it.

Phil3
10-13-2009, 10:11 AM
I will donate, but also want more people to know that firearms ARE part of California, that we are not some extreme group, and also add more members.

It seems to me, the more positive exposure CGF has, the better. To that end, I am buying some CalGuns clothing, as well as bumper stickers for both cars. I have been to the range many times, and I have not once, EVER seen CalGuns anything, anywhere. I was at the tea party in Pleasanton, CA, where there were about 1,500 people at any one time, and I saw several NRA hats and shirts, but nothing CalGuns.

Maybe, someone, seeing me wearing the CGF shirt, will ask me about it and become a donating member. My wife also agreed to wear the shirt, which will elicit negative reaction from some, but not all, and may open some doors to new members. I have good success getting my letters to the local paper printed, and will mention CalGuns there as well. Why not stick flyers under the wipers of cars at the range. Include the name of the site to get clothing and bumper stickers?

Like I said, I will donate, but better if we can have more people donate.

mmartin
10-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Gothic bellydancers? Isn't that just like gothic ballet? I shudder to think about it.

I'm more of a traditional style myself, but these ladies can be exceedingly cool... remarkable movement, exotic costumes, lots of tattoos and a large many of them are not afraid of shooting. if you're interested, pop on to youtube and search Rachel Brice.
megan

Aptos
10-13-2009, 2:46 PM
RE: 10% Challenge

A great idea!

I already donate 10 percent of what I pay for firearms to the NRA or CRPA.

It's like pulling teath to get others to donate though. Even though a donation may be no more than sacrificing one glass of beer a month at the pub, people simply don't want to give their money away.

I've had some luck getting others to donate by explaining the 10% Challenge.

I've also generated interest by explaining that it's cheaper to donate money to a pro-firearm organization than to bear the burden of anti-gun legislation which raises the costs of firearms use and ownership.

zeleny
11-01-2009, 8:46 PM
I'm still shopping for a SIG P210.RIA's December sale has a bunch of older, importable Neuhausens.

Seesm
11-01-2009, 10:18 PM
I think this is great and something we all should donate to... We should have been already like some are but lets push more for this. Good stuff OP.

wildhawker
11-01-2009, 10:37 PM
I've long held that a 2A "tithe" is necessary.

Very soon, Calguns will be ready and able to facilitate many forms of financial support.

hamster
11-02-2009, 11:50 AM

that's what i was thinking!

aileron
11-02-2009, 2:03 PM
I'm more of a traditional style myself, but these ladies can be exceedingly cool... remarkable movement, exotic costumes, lots of tattoos and a large many of them are not afraid of shooting. if you're interested, pop on to youtube and search Rachel Brice.
megan

So now we know what a gothic belly dancer looks like.

Wow. Trippy; in a good way.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/122/314242508_edcf976324_o.jpg

Who'd a thunk...

Macadelic4
11-02-2009, 2:12 PM
if you're interested, pop on to youtube and search Rachel Brice.
megan

I saw Rachel Brice perform live, and she's very talented. Is she pro-gun???

If so, I think we have a new demographic we could bring on board.

Foulball
11-02-2009, 8:29 PM
RE: Even though a donation may be no more than sacrificing one glass of beer a month at the pub, people simply don't want to give their money away.

Whoa, hold up there! Let's not get too carried away!:chris:

:43:

mmartin
11-03-2009, 6:58 AM
I saw Rachel Brice perform live, and she's very talented. Is she pro-gun???

If so, I think we have a new demographic we could bring on board.

I don't know what Rachel's gun stance is... next time I see her (which isn't often) I'll ask. but... many of the gothic / tribal / alternative syle dancers are good with guns.
megan