View Full Version : Recipe for Ammunition Vendor

10-12-2009, 9:34 AM
Ok as we know AB962 passed. My question is how many of us that own a commercial retail location want to add Ammo to my sign out front. I do and I want to know in a step by step format how to go about doing this. If I only sell ammo to me that is fine. What are the costs involved for licencing. Where would I find information specifically on ammo Mfg. or Dist.

10-12-2009, 9:57 AM
You will have to check with your local business or commerce department to see if there are any local license for selling ammunition. If you already have a sales tax license, that is usually what you need. Check locally first. Couple phone calls to city and county officials will take care of that. The federal government doesn't issue a license to sell ammunition, only to manufacture it.

To reach ammo manufacturers and distributors, just run an Internet search. Plenty will come up. Different manufacturers will have different internal requirements as to which customers they take. Some you have to be a brick and mortar others have to be related to the shooting industry. Get their contact information and ask what it takes to be a dealer with them. Once you submit your papers to them, they will usually send a price list.

The big guys usually don't go dealer direct, they sell to distributors who sell to dealers to sell at retail. Usually to be a distributor with a big guy you will need at least in the 500 cases of ammo per order or more. Smaller guys will have less of a threshold for dealer pricing and will most likely be more open to selling dealer direct.

I think there will be a lot of guys wanting to start up an ammo selling business, either as a part time thing or an appendix to their current business. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

10-12-2009, 10:12 AM
So if all Im going to do is sell components for ammo and factory ammo I do not need a federal licensing?

10-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Correct. There is no FFL to sell ammo, just to manufacture it. The only issues you have to worry about are the local things then getting on the dealer list with manufacturers and distributors.

For components I'd start off with bullets and brass so you don't run into any need for fireproofing, sprinklers, etc. Head out to ranges and buy from them. Get a small cement mixer or two to tumble it and then sort, bag, sell.

Keep overhead low, then give 'em hell.

10-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks, I will keep reserching this. I shoot IPSC and IDPA so Im a little worried about the future. I have money to start Id be willing to supply at matches. If all I need is record keeping and finger printing. I dont need any exotic calibers.

10-12-2009, 11:39 AM

Here is the muny code search. Ammunition brings up an exception for the definition of explosive excludes "small arms ammunition".

Secion 106.42.100(C)(2)(m) states this for home based businesses is prohibited:

Uses involving explosives or highly combustible or toxic materials, including ammunition reloading;

Search for firearms reveals a license is required to sell antique firearms, concealable firearms, and gun powder.

For just ammo and components excluding gun powder, it looks like you are fine for zoning and licensing at the city level. What county is that in? I'll see if there is stuff online I can check out.