PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Arnie is on our side after all?

freonr22
10-12-2009, 9:15 AM
Is it possible Arnie signed it because he knew of the Federal reasons it wont work, and that way prevents it in the future?

chickenfried
10-12-2009, 9:15 AM
uhhh no.

woodsman
10-12-2009, 9:16 AM
More likely that his staff just isn't aware.

wash
no chance

freonr22
that was a fast response

xm177
10-12-2009, 9:18 AM
I would say no. Supported .50 cal ban & microstamping.

berto
10-12-2009, 9:33 AM
Signing bad law so we have to spend money and time in court is not the act of a guy on our side.

lewdogg21
10-12-2009, 9:35 AM
He wouldn't think that far into an issue imo. It was more like "hmm, this will keep criminals from using guns so let's sign it" imo.

hawk1
10-12-2009, 9:36 AM
Thats too funny. :rolleyes:

As Governor, I have sought the appropriate balance between public safety and the right to keep and bear arms. I have signed important public safety measures to regulate the sale and transfer of .50 caliber rifles, instituted the California Firearms License Check program, and promoted the use of microstamping technology in handguns. I have also vetoed many pieces of legislation that sought to place unreasonable restrictions and burdens on firearms dealers and ammunition vendors. Assembly Bill 962 reasonably regulates access to ammunition and improves public safety without placing undue burdens on consumers.
For these reasons, I am pleased to sign this bill.

spitkiss
10-12-2009, 9:36 AM
wishful thinking

POLICESTATE
10-12-2009, 9:37 AM
Yeah there is no point in signing a law that will get shot down in court, especially if it will cost more money to defend it. Unless the point is to waste the court's time and the peoples' money. Which is entirely possible in this state.

theseacow
10-12-2009, 9:37 AM
"da greatest feeling u can have in da gym is da pump...."

Like hell he new. Good grief.

bodger
10-12-2009, 9:38 AM
Signing statement written by staffers. Arnie never read the bill is my opinion.

All he had to do to be on our side and the side of logic was to veto the damn thing. He SIGNED it.

I just hope the next time he wants to make millions on a movie, the gunny who rents guns to the film refuses to allow any of his guns, props or real, to be placed in the hands of this traitorous RINO girly man.

jkchan83
10-12-2009, 9:40 AM
Policestate got here faster:

How about vetoing bills that are un-Constitutional? Standing up for something?

Instead, now the state and gun rights activists will have to challenge in court. That means the activists will spend money to sue, the state will spend money to defend the law, and the feds will spend money to hold the hearings. Since I'm a taxpayer, I am paying for the state and fed bills. Since I'm an activist, my donations will go to getting rid of this useless, illegal law.

xxdabroxx
10-12-2009, 9:42 AM
He is not that dumb. Just doesn't really like guns.

HondaMasterTech
10-12-2009, 9:45 AM
That would be a strange way to support gun rights.

bwiese
10-12-2009, 9:54 AM
To the OP: No.

Significant efforts were made from "qualified people" to let Arnie & staff know there were Fed problems with 962. Whether it got into decision layer of staff who are dealing with a ton of other things is unknown.

I believe there was just a circus at the end for bill signings/vetoes - certain staff probably thought "2 outta 3 is prob OK for the gun guys". I'd bet there were parallel situations last night for the save-the-whales crowd as well as other focus groups fro all political walks. I'm thinking it was just a legislative pig's breakfast and we saw sausage being made.

secretasianman
10-12-2009, 9:57 AM
I like his movies, he seems like a likeable guy, I voted for him, but on this issue he screwed us. No need to make excuses for him.

Turo
10-12-2009, 10:00 AM

I'm sure he does like guns. But like all other gun control bills, this one seeks control rather than showing someone's opinion of guns.

hoozaru
10-12-2009, 10:04 AM

http://content6.flixster.com/photo/41/26/43/4126432_gal.jpghttp://content8.flixster.com/photo/97/28/37/9728370_gal.jpg

BigDogatPlay
10-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Yeah there is no point in signing a law that will get shot down in court, especially if it will cost more money to defend it.

You've met Gavin Newsom then? ;)

gbp
10-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Well after all he did veto AB 2567
As far as gun issues go he just throws us a few bones then takes the plate of food away

Super Spy
10-12-2009, 10:21 AM
ROFLMAO......yeah sure......on our side.......that's why he keeps signing gun control legislation.

BHPFan
10-12-2009, 10:43 AM
To the original OP, what makes you think he does?

U2BassAce
10-12-2009, 10:50 AM
More likely that his staff just isn't aware.

+1

Once this law is blown out they will come up with a version stripping out the mail order ban.

dakobster81
10-12-2009, 10:56 AM
"da greatest feeling u can have in da gym is da pump...."

Like hell he new. Good grief.

lol, he didn't know squat

I think it's time we go to sacramento and protest:

:iagree::rockon::useless::kest::ban::krkplk:

theseacow
10-12-2009, 10:59 AM
the smiley holding the krinker plinker sign always cracks me up.

Cal-Irish
10-12-2009, 11:48 AM
If CGF get AB 962 overturned. I will love them longtime.

hawk1
10-12-2009, 12:33 PM
To the OP: No.

Significant efforts were made from "qualified people" to let Arnie & staff know there were Fed problems with 962. Whether it got into decision layer of staff who are dealing with a ton of other things is unknown.

I believe there was just a circus at the end for bill signings/vetoes - certain staff probably thought "2 outta 3 is prob OK for the gun guys". I'd bet there were parallel situations last night for the save-the-whales crowd as well as other focus groups fro all political walks. I'm thinking it was just a legislative pig's breakfast and we saw sausage being made.

Agreed. That also means there's not a damn thing you or the Calguns Foundation will be able to claim as a hard fought victory based on sound law or rights with this government. You might get lucky and then again you might not. Why support that with money?...:mad:

Yeah I'm mad. Mad enough to spit nails. :mad:

RRangel
10-12-2009, 12:44 PM
The governor being on "our side" is not likely given the effort it takes to implement an AB 962 and the like when he's claiming due diligence in legislative priorities. Why create an all around bad situation in where the state gets sued? That doesn't make sense when he can veto.

yellowfin
10-12-2009, 1:51 PM
To look on the bright side, perhaps the precedent generated by overturning it in court might be useful for striking down more bad laws.

GuyW
10-12-2009, 1:58 PM
Arnie is on ARNIE's side, and ONLY on Arnie's side.....well, maybe a little Kennedy love thrown in too....

M.45
10-12-2009, 2:02 PM
Arnie is not on our side. Remember that when he tries to run for prez.

(yes I know about the constitiutional doohickY)

devildog999
10-12-2009, 3:27 PM
No way, he wouldn't have written that long explanation either if that were the case

orangeusa
10-12-2009, 3:49 PM
I think you are way overthinking this. He's fighting the water battle, and held all 700 bills for the last day. The messages were pre-prepared, decisions pre-made, and he most probably used this as a bargaining chip.

It's small potatos to him, IMHO. His staff advised on this, made a decision.

But the thing I'm still baffled by is the blatant disregard for the phone line, fax, email inputs on this and other bills. I guess it's just to appease us, so he can do what he danged well pleases to do, yet allow us to feel like we're part of the process....

But I could be wrong - I have been a few times!!! :)

CALboy
10-12-2009, 6:15 PM
Arnie still works for cyberdyne, they are controlling him. He is planning for a ammo free future so they can take over.

Meplat
10-12-2009, 6:16 PM
I'm thinking he wants to be a senator.

swerv512
10-12-2009, 6:21 PM
Yeah there is no point in signing a law that will get shot down in court, especially if it will cost more money to defend it. Unless the point is to waste the court's time and the peoples' money. Which is entirely possible in this state.

^^^
+100...

Meplat
10-12-2009, 6:21 PM
I think he likes guns but he is a bizillionair what is a couple bucks a round to the right people?:rolleyes:

Well after all he did veto AB 2567
As far as gun issues go he just throws us a few bones then takes the plate of food away

Seesm
10-12-2009, 6:52 PM
Hahha yeah NO.

tonelar
10-12-2009, 6:58 PM
Arnold subscribes to the European model of democracy. Where the government grants its citizens' rights.

He's a F$&@tard.

freonr22
10-12-2009, 6:59 PM
Well All, It WAS a thought, I was hoping for wishful thinking i guess

JTecalo
10-12-2009, 7:01 PM
Arnie is not on our side. Remember that when he tries to run for prez.

(yes I know about the constitiutional doohickY)

He was born in Austin, TX, not Austria, so there would be no "constitiutional doohickY"

:D

ErikTheRed
10-12-2009, 8:17 PM
He was born in Austin, TX, not Austria, so there would be no "constitiutional doohickY"

:D

If Austin is to Austria as Hawaii is to Kenya, then all is well for Arnie. :rolleyes:

advocatusdiaboli
10-12-2009, 8:19 PM
I admit I had such a fleeting hope as well--it isn't unprecedented for a politician to let a bill pass they disagree with in order to force a challenge in the courts that will kill it dead forever. I know I know of a few--just cannot recall them at this moment.

So did the governor con a rep by signing his bill and getting what he wants only for the rep to find out later he got conned because his bill is nullified? Cut to the end scene in black and white with DeLeon crumpled over in the pouring rain rim-lit on the top of a building overlooking the San Francisco Embarcadero wringing his hands and sobbing "Damn you! I trusted you you bastard! Damn you!". Fade to black... How I wish...

But life is not a Scott Turow legal thriller and Mr Bodybuilder, while smart, ain't that clever--no one is outside of the Hollywood fantasy world where everything comes to together perfectly. The reality is that there are too many variables. Nope. It's simple, Arnie needed some votes on the water issue (so he can be the big hero in the limelight and adoring media crowd) and he engaged in the time honored practice of vote shopping and trading. He threw us under the bus for something bigger so it's: "Sorry Cal hangunners--those tread marks fade after a bit--don't worry. Ah remeba on the set of Predator, Just when Ah wuz...oh look at da time..Vell I gotta go. I'll be baaak. Vote for Meg darlings!".