becaues everything will be bought and hoarded

I also changed my voter registration today from republican
to Independant

First John McCain ...

and the final straw....

Arny signing AB962

cortayack
10-12-2009, 8:52 AM
I've been Independent for awhile, but the Libertarian party might be a new home.......Two party system sucks!

glockman19
10-12-2009, 8:53 AM
The handgun ammo we have just appreciated 100%.

Want to buy 9mm, $20+ for 50. Want .45ACP, $30+ a box. .44mag, $40+ a box.

Legasat
10-12-2009, 9:25 AM
I suspect handgun ammo will go up even further for while, till this gets sorted out.

I have faith that Gene and his crew know what they are doing, and they say this law is already pre-empted.

It doesn't go into effect until Feb of 2011, so we have some time.

Acorn556
10-12-2009, 9:38 AM
I have a feeling they aren't going to know what to do with the fingerprinting for quite some time. Walmart figure something out? yeah that's right. Next thing will probably be "Well the machine is broken so we can't sell any"

Choptop
10-12-2009, 9:41 AM
So now that he signed it.

Are we going to see nothing on the selves at wal-mart
becaues everything will be bought and hoarded

I also changed my voter registration today from republican
to Independant

First John McCain ...

and the final straw....

Arny signing AB962

why would anyone hoard?

You can still buy all the handgun ammo you want in CA. you just have to do it in a store and sign on the dotted line.

jkchan83
10-12-2009, 9:43 AM
why would anyone hoard?

You can still buy all the handgun ammo you want in CA. you just have to do it in a store and sign on the dotted line. And give a fingerprint.

Fixed it for you.

woodsman
10-12-2009, 9:44 AM
why would anyone hoard?

You can still buy all the handgun ammo you want in CA. you just have to do it in a store and sign on the dotted line.

I'm not signing squat! I don't want them harrassing me when a gang banger is in a shooting and now they are checking out the local stores to see who bought what ammo, when they bought it and what did they do with it. If you think this law will not subject law abiding citizens to abuse you have been sleeping.

striker3
10-12-2009, 9:49 AM
why would anyone hoard?

And lose the last shred of privacy regarding firearms in this state. No thanks.

Plus, I cannot afford to shoot without being able to order ammo from out of state vendors. As it is, the local shops already mark up their ammo close to 200%, I can't afford the price gouging now, let alone when they have a monopoly.

spitkiss
10-12-2009, 9:51 AM
I'm not signing squat! I don't want them harrassing me when a gang banger is in a shooting and now they are checking out the local stores to see who bought what ammo, when they bought it and what did they do with it. If you think this law will not subject law abiding citizens to abuse you have been sleeping.

This is exactly what will happen. I don't think I'm being paranoid in thinking that these records will be used to question or detain people who have purchased ammo in an area where a crime occurred...

woodsman
10-12-2009, 9:53 AM
Unfortunately, it is the apathy of our own that deals the final blow.

Choptop
10-12-2009, 9:54 AM
And lose the last shred of privacy regarding firearms in this state. No thanks.

Plus, I cannot afford to shoot without being able to order ammo from out of state vendors. As it is, the local shops already mark up their ammo close to 200%, I can't afford the price gouging now, let alone when they have a monopoly.

Thats up to you. Again, no reason to hoard. Handgun ammo will still be widely available in CA. If you choose not to let the state know you are buying ammo, do it out of state. Not saying this is a "good" law.. its sucks monkey butt.. but there is no reason for hoarding.

Local shops marking up? Dont shop there. Frequent to ones that have decent prices. I do.

Hell, if nothing else there is a business opportunity there. Start an ammo only shop that undercuts the 200% mark-up competition in your area.

HondaMasterTech
10-12-2009, 9:55 AM
I might disable a couple of cylinders in my moving truck before I leave California. One last puff of "up-yours".

Choptop
10-12-2009, 9:57 AM
This is exactly what will happen. I don't think I'm being paranoid in thinking that these records will be used to question or detain people who have purchased ammo in an area where a crime occurred...

Seriously? Wow... I think you are being VERY paranoid.

Do you live in a town with 10 people? Come on. Any decent gun shop in anything but a tiny town sells LOTS of ammo, to LOTS of people. The correlation between buying a box of ammo, or buying 10,000 rounds and being questioned for a crime that was committed with the same type of ammo is more than just a stretch of the imagination.

bondmid003
10-12-2009, 9:59 AM
So this law seriously doesn't go into affect until 2011?

woodsman
10-12-2009, 10:01 AM

You are not paranoid.

I don't know what legal ramifications this type of law can have regarding warrants or searches . But I can see how it is ripe for abuse.

Choptop
10-12-2009, 10:03 AM
So this law seriously doesn't go into affect until 2011?

.....commencing July 1, 2010......

freakshow10mm
10-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Try February 1, 2011.

bondmid003
10-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks freakshow, well Walmart is going to be even more empty

5ohguy
10-12-2009, 10:06 AM
I spoke with a couple employees at a local walmart and they were saying that their particular store may get out of selling ammunition all together. They said behind the scenes talks were going on about the low volume of sales not being worth it with the new restrictions caused by AB962. The employees were very knowledgeable in the bill and this was months ago.

New training in taking records, fingerprinting, and not to mention a place to store all this crap. Extra overhead, potential fines, more required space, more paperwork...

I doubt many low volume sellers will continue to stay in the ammo market and low priced sellers like walmart and online purchases keep the price of ammo down at gun stores.

If they do stay in the market, prices will increase. If they don't prices will increase.

In addition to increased prices due to supply and demand, one thing is for sure, price gouging will take place at least for a while after feb 2011.

caiman
10-12-2009, 10:09 AM

This is what I don't understand. I buy 9mm at xx store. In a different part of town, there is a shooting. Will they go through all the purchases and how far of a radius? How far back? Do I need to retain all my brass? Do I need to report a lost round if I leave it at the range? Somehow, I really don't see it working... too many manhours being wasted.

spitkiss
10-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Seriously? Wow... I think you are being VERY paranoid.

Do you live in a town with 10 people? Come on. Any decent gun shop in anything but a tiny town sells LOTS of ammo, to LOTS of people. The correlation between buying a box of ammo, or buying 10,000 rounds and being questioned for a crime that was committed with the same type of ammo is more than just a stretch of the imagination.

Well learning more about history it's easy to undersrtand where this is headed. Specifically after reading the interview with David E Young, someone who has done a lot of research on the topic. There was a paragraph that really resonated with me:

taken from
http://waronguns.blogspot.com/2008/05/david-e-young-interview.html

The specific action underpinning Americans' modern distrust of gun control advocate inspired registration was the disarming of Bostonians after the Battles of Lexington and Concord. What started out as an agreement to turn in arms so people who desired to could depart from town with all of their other possessions soon unilaterally morphed on the part of the British into a decree that all were enemies of the King who possessed any. Anyone found afterwards with hidden arms in their house was put into prison for 75 days. It is interesting how those who have a monopoly or massive overplus of force have a habit of making everyone else do what they want, by force if necessary. There is no reason why the government needs a list of all firearms and owners other than to make it easy to seize such arms, an action giving those in control of the government a monopoly of force never intended, in fact, protected against under our Constitution. Registration of firearms and owners is not much different than registration of Jews or any other religion or sect. Why register those who exercise their rights?

You can still think it's paranoid but I still think this is exactly where these type of laws are going to lead

Choptop
10-12-2009, 10:14 AM
This is what I don't understand. I buy 9mm at xx store. In a different part of town, there is a shooting. Will they go through all the purchases and how far of a radius? How far back? Do I need to retain all my brass? Do I need to report a lost round if I leave it at the range? Somehow, I really don't see it working... too many manhours being wasted.

and this is why anyone who is afraid of being questioned for a crime that is committed with a similar type of ammo that they purchased is being paranoid.

Choptop
10-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Well learning more about history it's easy to undersrtand where this is headed. Specifically after reading the interview with David E Young, someone who has done a lot of research on the topic. There was a paragraph that really resonated with me:

taken from
http://waronguns.blogspot.com/2008/05/david-e-young-interview.html

You can still think it's paranoid but I still think this is exactly where these type of laws are going to lead

The realities of law enforcement and the usability of the knowledge of who bought what type of ammo in the investigation of a crime make this law a straw man.

The info gained by it is useless.

spitkiss
10-12-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm familiar with its history and the reason for its inception. I'm also well aware of the realities of law enforcement and the usability of the knowledge of who bought what type of ammo in the investigation of a crime.

Its useless.

I hope you're right!

thefurball
10-12-2009, 10:25 AM
I've been Independent for awhile, but the Libertarian party might be a new home.......Two party system sucks!

+1

I was registered Republican for 20 years but switched to Libertarian after reading the party platform and have voted a straight Libertarian ticket ever since.

I have been told repeatedly that I am throwing away my vote by not choosing one of the two major parties.

My response is that as long as you choose one of the two major parties absolutely nothing is going to change.

:patriot:

From the party platform (www.lp.org):

"... We affirm the right to keep and bear arms, and oppose the prosecution of individuals for exercising their rights of self-defense. We oppose all laws at any level of government requiring registration of, or restricting, the ownership, manufacture, or transfer or sale of firearms or ammunition."

Seems clear enough to me.

Ron-Solo
10-12-2009, 10:27 AM
The realities of law enforcement and the usability of the knowledge of who bought what type of ammo in the investigation of a crime make this law a straw man.

The info gained by it is useless.

As a 31 year law enforcement veteran, I believe this is the most accurate statement in this thread.

This law was designed by an anti-gun idiot who wants to make it as hard as possible for all of us to but ammo. It's got nothing to do with preventing crime.

BMC
10-12-2009, 10:34 AM
FYI, I mentioned all of this to my GF who is an assistant manager at a Wal-Mart (once worked the SG counter which is where I met her) and after telling her of what the potential law would require them to do, she laughed and said no they won't, they will just stop selling ammo. She is dead serious. If you think getting ammo at Walmart will be difficult, try impossible because like the selling of guns, the selling of ammo will be too difficult with too much red tape to continue. Watch.