PDA

View Full Version : Record Keeping ?'s

marxdspot
10-12-2009, 7:58 AM
Once receiving the 03FFL, will you need to keep every rifle (C&R) you receive on the bound book, even from a regular Joe, who doesn't have an 03FFL? Unlike the 03FFL holder, the regular Joe can do a cash & carry without having to deal with the hassel of entering the info on a bound book.

On another note, I've read that some individuals, after receiving their 03FFL, received a "Welcome Packet" a couple of weeks after receiving their license in the mail. My question is, what's in the "Welcome Packet" and if I haven't received mine yet, what should I do?

Thanks everyone for all your help!

5hundo
10-12-2009, 9:00 AM
This has been a topic for debate in the past. The consensus is that you should use due dilligence and CYA. I put all of my acquisitions, since my receipt of 03 FFL, in my bound book. Furthermore, when I sell a C&R that I had prior to my 03 FFL, I log it in my bound book and under "date received" I write "prior acquisition" instead of the date.

Better to have the ATF agent who inspects me say "you didn't need to do that" as opposed to him saying "put your hands behind your back"...

glennsche
10-12-2009, 9:34 AM
Once receiving the 03FFL, will you need to keep every rifle (C&R) you receive on the bound book, even from a regular Joe, who doesn't have an 03FFL? Unlike the 03FFL holder, the regular Joe can do a cash & carry without having to deal with the hassel of entering the info on a bound book.

On another note, I've read that some individuals, after receiving their 03FFL, received a "Welcome Packet" a couple of weeks after receiving their license in the mail. My question is, what's in the "Welcome Packet" and if I haven't received mine yet, what should I do?

Thanks everyone for all your help!

yep, regular joe can do cash carry w/out the "hassle of entering info into a bound book" (why is this a hassle? takes 10 secs...), but regular joes cant get C&R discounts and buy C&R guns from outta state and have them delivered in the mail. :cool2:

the welcome packet is useless, its a huge pile of ffl stuff i think the atf sends to everyone who has a license, regardless of type. its irrelevant if you're only c&r. at least that's how i remember it.

SVT-40
10-12-2009, 9:08 PM
The bound book entry requirements also extend to C&R pistols as well as rifles you acquire (buy) and or dispose of(sell).

joefrank64k
10-13-2009, 2:38 PM
yep, regular joe can do cash carry w/out the "hassle of entering info into a bound book" (why is this a hassle? takes 10 secs...), but regular joes cant get C&R discounts and buy C&R guns from outta state and have them delivered in the mail. :cool2:

the welcome packet is useless, its a huge pile of ffl stuff i think the atf sends to everyone who has a license, regardless of type. its irrelevant if you're only c&r. at least that's how i remember it.

+1...EVERY shooter who qualifies should have a C&R FFL, if for nothing else, the discounts!!! :D

reidnez
10-14-2009, 7:30 PM
The basic thing to remember is this: you don't "use" your license, you *are* licensed. The smart bet is to log everything. I even logged my C&R's which were acquired before my license was issued--I'm not saying that you have to do this, but why not? You won't get in trouble for being too thorough.

RaceDay
10-14-2009, 8:08 PM
The basic thing to remember is this: you don't "use" your license, you *are* licensed.

Log everything that you purchase that is C&R while you have your license. I just picked up a Polish Tokarev from the 1950's that I had to DROS at a FFL01 (thanks IAC). Even though I didn't use my license to purchase the Tokarev, it is a C&R and was logged.

I've sold a WWII Garand to a guy at work (regular Joe). Even though it was > 50 years old and we could do a FTF if we were both regular Joes, I had to get a copy of his DL and enter his info into my bound book.

So yes, there is a little more work with the license. Thats the cost of getting stuff shipped straight to your door.

Are they still doing the packet or is it all on CD now? I got a CD a year or so ago with all the latest info.

EOD Guy
10-15-2009, 6:39 AM

The packet contains a Federal regulations book, a State regulations book, and several forms that you may need in the future. The packet is far from irrelevant or useless.

sigfan91
10-15-2009, 9:41 AM
The packet contains a Federal regulations book, a State regulations book, and several forms that you may need in the future. The packet is far from irrelevant or useless.

Interesting...I never received that.

marxdspot
10-16-2009, 12:24 AM

Hmmm...sounds important. Who should I contact to get a copy ASAP?

marxdspot
10-16-2009, 12:27 AM
This brings up another question. If another 03FFL holder is selling something that I'd like to purchase, and let's say he lives up north and I'm down south, what would both parties need to do?

(Sorry, didn't want to start another thread.)

By the way, thanks for the great advice and help, everyone!

Mssr. Eleganté
10-16-2009, 12:41 AM
This brings up another question. If another 03FFL holder is selling something that I'd like to purchase, and let's say he lives up north and I'm down south, what would both parties need to do?

I'm assuming that your mean northern California when you say "up north".

If it is a C&R long gun that is at least 50 years old then you just send him a certified copy of your FFL and he ships the gun to you. He logs the gun out to you and you log the gun in from him.

If it is a C&R long gun that is younger than 50 years old or a C&R handgun of any age then you have your local Dealer send a copy of his FFL and the guy up north ships the gun to your local Dealer. After you pick up the gun from your local Dealer then you log the gun in as coming from your local Dealer. If you also have a COE then you can skip the 10 day wait, but you still have to DROS.