PDA

View Full Version : I now beleive that "contacting" the gov's office is pointless

theseacow
10-12-2009, 8:41 AM
I did everything they told us to do. I hit the phone hard for a month. We managed to keep their phones constantly busy non-stop. Their mail was flooded. Their email was flooded.

No consideration of this was even taken and arnold is supposedly inclined to "listen" to the conservative opinion.

Can someone explain to me the point since apparently it accomplishes nothing?

GJC
10-12-2009, 8:44 AM
Agreed, My next cell phone bill is not going to be cheap. Why Do I even bother?

yellowfin
10-12-2009, 8:51 AM
Start calling the unions who push this stuff and letting them experience 10,000 calls a day over this stuff. They may not be beholden to the people but they should hear about it since it's their fault this stuff happens.

Crazed_SS
10-12-2009, 8:56 AM
I did everything they told us to do. I hit the phone hard for a month. We managed to keep their phones constantly busy non-stop. Their mail was flooded. Their email was flooded.

No consideration of this was even taken and arnold is supposedly inclined to "listen" to the conservative opinion.

I look at it like this.. This bill went through the legislative process. It was passed by elected officials that are there because the people of California voted for them. If Arnold had veto'd it simply because a bunch of gunnies called, emailed, and faxed, then he'd basically be ignoring the true will of the people which is theortically represented by the legislators who passed the bill.

Centurion_D
10-12-2009, 9:00 AM
I look at it like this.. This bill went through the legislative process. It was passed by elected officials that are there because the people of California voted for them. If Arnold had veto'd it simply because a bunch of gunnies called, emailed, and faxed, then he'd basically be ignoring the true will of the people which is theortically represented by the legislators who passed the bill.

You've gotta be kidding me..Right?

freonr22
10-12-2009, 9:02 AM
I agree, We vote them in.. we tolerate their raping of our tax dollars, what did we expect?

Pvt. Cowboy
10-12-2009, 9:02 AM

You make a good case for completely eliminating CA ballot propositions at the same time, I suppose.

woodsman
10-12-2009, 9:03 AM
Without any feedback the calls seem useless. We don't know what the truth is.

8-Ball
10-12-2009, 9:05 AM
actually, we voted for the lies they all tell us during their campaigns...

Gator Monroe
10-12-2009, 9:06 AM

Democrat posters here will be in denial for a while as usuial , but givin them a pass is gettin weak.

10-12-2009, 9:10 AM

No, he is not kidding. He is right.
This bill should have never landed on the Governator's desk in the first place.

Crazed_SS
10-12-2009, 9:10 AM

No, Im serious. You have to look at the big picture. The legistlators are there because the people of California voted them in. Maybe you didnt personally vote for them, but collectively, we (Californians) put them there.

If simply calling, emailing, and faxing was all that was need to get bills passed or veto'd, what would be the point of having bills go through the legislative process at all?

MudCamper
10-12-2009, 9:12 AM

This is exactly what I thought the last time round, microstamping et al. But I keep calling anyway. Not sure why.

1859sharps
10-12-2009, 9:14 AM
your forgetting about the concept of checks and balances.

just because the people/legislature want something does not make it right. and that is why the governor can veto or the judicial can overturn.

logic and reason failed us this time. But it happens. that is reality. even in the so called "free" states.

wellerjohn
10-12-2009, 9:19 AM
Just wait until Dianne Feinstein is governor:confused:

jdberger
10-12-2009, 9:19 AM

Please see SB 585.

Anyway, this isn't over. It never is. If you want change, you have to make it yourself.

You're going to have to walk precincts come election day. You're going to have to ask strangers to sign petitions. You're going to have to continue to show up when asked, distribute materials when needed. Donate time and energy, blood and sweat when called upon

This Revolution is happening. AB 962 is a minor setback.

ripcurlksm
10-12-2009, 9:27 AM
keep your chin up

jdberger
10-12-2009, 9:38 AM
We have to call the hobbiests/Democrat posters here out some time , weather this is the time it's up to Kes & Sage & Ivan.

How do you plan on calling them out?

Are you and .454 going to wave your relentless dedication to the cause in their faces? Are you planning on regaling them with stories of all the flyers you distributed? The hours you stood in the door of your local range/gun shop handing out literature and educating the public? The time you took from your work and families? The expenses you personally incurred?

Our success is measured in the number of people we mobilize.

Not by the ones who do simply kvetch. :mad:

rolo
10-12-2009, 9:41 AM
Please see SB 585.

Anyway, this isn't over. It never is. If you want change, you have to make it yourself.

You're going to have to walk precincts come election day. You're going to have to ask strangers to sign petitions. You're going to have to continue to show up when asked, distribute materials when needed. Donate time and energy, blood and sweat when called upon

This Revolution is happening. AB 962 is a minor setback.

This can't be said enough.

7222 Hawker
10-12-2009, 9:57 AM
How do you plan on calling them out?

Are you and .454 going to wave your relentless dedication to the cause in their faces? Are you planning on regaling them with stories of all the flyers you distributed? The hours you stood in the door of your local range/gun shop handing out literature and educating the public? The time you took from your work and families? The expenses you personally incurred?

Our success is measured in the number of people we mobilize.

Not by the ones who do simply kvetch. :mad:

I agree. I saw a whole bunch of new posters last night though.

AggregatVier
10-12-2009, 10:03 AM
We had a bunch of people calling hundreds of times. In effect they were trying to stuff an imaginary ballot box like this was some sort of internet poll. Their tying up the lines prevented other citizens from making their one call. Once they pulled up the reports showing how many calls were "unique" and how many were "repeaters" it was then easy to spin this off as non-representative. The real solution is to not elect the same types of politicians over again.

RaceDay
10-12-2009, 10:10 AM
No, Im serious. You have to look at the big picture. The legistlators are there because the people of California voted them in. Maybe you didnt personally vote for them, but collectively, we (Californians) put them there.

If simply calling, emailing, and faxing was all that was need to get bills passed or veto'd, what would be the point of having bills go through the legislative process at all?

But how can this really get changed. More of the voters are liberal. The districts are gerrymandered. A good portion of the voting population is just looking for more free stuff and couldn't give a rip about rights of the citizenry.

We have too many idiot voters who either have only their self-interest at heart or they haven't even bothered to understand who/what they are voting for. Look at how many bills get passed with deceptive/misleading titles. The term limit bill for LA county actually extended the maximum number of terms that the incumbents can serve.

I didn't put these clowns in office. I vote every election and its just a drop in the ocean. This state and its legislature simply do not represent me.

freonr22
10-12-2009, 10:12 AM
We had a bunch of people calling hundreds of times. In effect they were trying to stuff an imaginary ballot box like this was some sort of internet poll. Their tying up the lines prevented other citizens from making their one call. Once they pulled up the reports showing how many calls were "unique" and how many were "repeaters" it was then easy to spin this off as non-representative. The real solution is to not elect the same types of politicians over again.

According to Bill, I disagree

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3198209

They don't. It's an old PBX. The state is broke. They don't have programming support to process the SMDR records - or they're gathered somewhere on a disk file that can be looked at in emergency. Nobody's real-time monitoring this data for trends, etc. Remember, this is a gov't operation.

Threats such as you outlined would be handled separately. Tracking who dialled whom for the bill opposition voice response number ain't happening.

jrr
10-12-2009, 10:14 AM
I guess we will see what, if any, effect the new districting laws will have at the next state elections. I thought that passed, does anyone know when they go into effect?

One things for sure, not voting for people like Arnold is not enough. You have to educate people, make sure they know they shouldn't vote for him either. Swiftboat his butt in other words. :devil:

Crazed_SS
10-12-2009, 10:21 AM
But how can this really get changed. More of the voters are liberal....

Like you said, most of the voters here are "liberal".. I've always suggested that we seperate guns from a conservative ideology. As long as guns come as a package deal with conservativism, guns will be a losing battle in CA. I have no idea how to accomplish this, however.

theseacow
10-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Like you said, most of the voters here are "liberal".. I've always suggested that we seperate guns from a conservative ideology. As long as guns come as a package deal with conservativism, guns will be a losing battle in CA. I have no idea how to accomplish this, however.

Owning guns IS a conservative ideology. It would be better to separate it from the word Republican. Liberals as well as a lot of Republicans want to pick and choose the freedoms that they support, and most will blindly follow their parties lead (as well as blindly go against the other party). That isn't liberty. Remove the word Republican from the equation and it will work out better.

wildhawker
10-12-2009, 11:32 AM
To repost a few important points from another thread:

Charlie,

I understand how today's news might cause one to feel extraordinarily frustrated and hurt. This group, especially, but all those who personally jumped into the trenches to fight this thing wanted to see it go down in flames. After what I can honestly say was the best we could do, it didn't happen.

So, now what? We have some personal choices to make. However, I'd suggest that we make them later, after the dust has settled and we've gained back our perspective. Calguns Foundation is on top of the issue, and I doubt this law ever sees the light of day. As I'm sure you know from your management experience, one must learn to simply accept it when the "other side" takes one every so often (that's not to say that you do not derive data and experience from it, but that to foster and promulgate an emotional response isn't a prudent course of action). When you have a zero-value loss (when they have a zero-value win), you shake your head, say "awe, shucks" and let them believe they won something. It's not often that we can say that in this realm, and it's important to recognize our positioning and focus on the future.

I can see that you needed a place to vent, somewhere you felt there would be a sympathetic ear, but you found little here. That, sir, is encouraging to me. Not because we've failed in hearing you out, but because this group is beginning to rally around one of its own, an organization that is making a comeback. Yes, I speak of the CRPA. It wasn't long ago that your post would have incited a riot in Fullerton; now, well, "the times, they are a-changin'". I'm proud to be here see it.

We're going to *win*. That the CRPA (and NRA, etc.) did not invest substantial resources into this (these) issue(s) was both telling and savvy, and I'm sure you understand why. If we knew that the outcome which did, in fact, come to fruition was highly probable (based on politics), and if we knew there were a means to mitigate the damage before any occured, would you invest tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands or millions into the challenge or take your first loss and leverage your resources where it counts?

Please understand that we're all disappointed with the outcome of AB962. Also understand that we're going to be fine, and that we have some great and wonderful things on the horizon. We need everyone to take a step back, take a deep breath, regroup and prepare to march on.

Knowing what I do about the nature of the men and women who make up the volunteer corp here, they are already looking forward to the next opportunity.

leelaw
10-12-2009, 12:04 PM
We have to call the hobbiests/Democrat posters here out some time , weather this is the time it's up to Kes & Sage & Ivan.

No, we don't have to.

No, you may not.

orangeusa
10-12-2009, 12:56 PM
IMHO - SB585 was throwing a bone to "the gun nuts". I find it hard to believe the Governor's statement that he vetoed it for financial reasons.

6172crew
10-12-2009, 1:10 PM
No, we don't have to.

No, you may not.

Id also like to ad that baiting members here will get you time off. I deleted 2 posts, if yours is missing then you have been warned.:chris:

jdberger
10-12-2009, 1:38 PM
But how can this really get changed. More of the voters are liberal. The districts are gerrymandered. A good portion of the voting population is just looking for more free stuff and couldn't give a rip about rights of the citizenry.

We have too many idiot voters who either have only their self-interest at heart or they haven't even bothered to understand who/what they are voting for. Look at how many bills get passed with deceptive/misleading titles. The term limit bill for LA county actually extended the maximum number of terms that the incumbents can serve.

I didn't put these clowns in office. I vote every election and its just a drop in the ocean. This state and its legislature simply do not represent me.

Easy.

Get out and do something.

Wrap your head around this for a second.

Of eligible voters in California, only about 70% are registered to vote. That's about 17,000,000 people.

Of that 17 million, 13 million voted in the November 4 general election. That's less than 60% of eligible voters.

What if you could tap that other 40%?

If by walking precincts, you could rally the vote of 10 million people, would you? Would you volunteer?

Midterm elections are coming up.

There were quite a few Assemblymen and Senators who responded favorably when contacted about AB 962 and SB 585. Are you willing to help them get re-elected?

There were quite a few who responded negatively. Are you willing to help get their opponents elected?

Politicians aren't stupid. They realize that "public service" is much better than actually having to work for a living. They'll do what it takes to get re-elected. And once they realize that Calguns.net isn't just an internet forum, but a collection of angry motivated gunnies, they'll do what they can to escape our wrath.

But still, you have to take that first step.

Are you willing?

Harrison_Bergeron
10-12-2009, 1:55 PM
I guess we will see what, if any, effect the new districting laws will have at the next state elections. I thought that passed, does anyone know when they go into effect?

Prop 11 will not have an effect until after the 2010 census, so probably not until the 2012 elections.

I agree with Crazed SS, it is Arnold's decision whether or not he thinks that his constituents want or need a bill signed. He's a lame duck( I think that term applies her) so it is not like he even signed it to get votes in the next election. We live in a Republic, we basically elect people to vote their opinion and take our own collective opinion into consideration when it is proven to be substantially different. Just because the phones were busy does not mean that all the calls were pro-gunners against AB962.

When the open primary measure gets on the ballot in 2010 vote yes, so that the representatives in Sacramento will become closer to center instead of all being radicals like they are now.

10-12-2009, 1:57 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/10/12/harvey.milk/index.html
The legislation has been divisive, with the governor's office receiving more than 100,000 phone calls and e-mails, most of them in opposition, spokeswoman Andrea McCarthy said last month.

Regardless of that piece of legislation, it kind of brings home the perceived futility of contacting the Governor's office.

Did we have 100,000 calls and emails? How many would it take if 100,000 isn't enough?

IMO, it drives home the fact that we need to get rid of legislators who vote these bills in, and not hope that we can get a reprieve from the Governor's office.

Blackhawk556
10-12-2009, 2:15 PM
Just wait until Dianne Feinstein is governor:confused:

ok now i'm definitely kicking my grandma :mad:

freonr22
10-12-2009, 2:26 PM
Your message

To: assembly090531@muzzleenergy.com
Subject: ab962
Sent: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:33:21 -0700

was deleted without being read on Mon, 12 Oct 2009 14:13:46 -0700

How many of these did you get back? I received maybe 10-30

mmartin
10-12-2009, 2:32 PM
We had a bunch of people calling hundreds of times. In effect they were trying to stuff an imaginary ballot box like this was some sort of internet poll. Their tying up the lines prevented other citizens from making their one call. Once they pulled up the reports showing how many calls were "unique" and how many were "repeaters" it was then easy to spin this off as non-representative.

wondered when we were going to get to that.
as long as they can tell that it's repeat callers, even the meaning of the individual callers is diminished. baby out with the bath water.
megan

Gun_Fanatic
10-12-2009, 2:39 PM
well we still have mcdonald vs chicago, if that goes our way then many anti gun laws will be shot down. The second amendment will finally be applied to states and these bills may no longer be an issue.

bodger
10-12-2009, 2:46 PM
Easy.

Get out and do something.

Wrap your head around this for a second.

Of eligible voters in California, only about 70% are registered to vote. That's about 17,000,000 people.

Of that 17 million, 13 million voted in the November 4 general election. That's less than 60% of eligible voters.

What if you could tap that other 40%?

If by walking precincts, you could rally the vote of 10 million people, would you? Would you volunteer?

Midterm elections are coming up.

There were quite a few Assemblymen and Senators who responded favorably when contacted about AB 962 and SB 585. Are you willing to help them get re-elected?

There were quite a few who responded negatively. Are you willing to help get their opponents elected?

Politicians aren't stupid. They realize that "public service" is much better than actually having to work for a living. They'll do what it takes to get re-elected. And once they realize that Calguns.net isn't just an internet forum, but a collection of angry motivated gunnies, they'll do what they can to escape our wrath.

But still, you have to take that first step.

Are you willing?

I would be willing to help get their opponents elected, especially in the case of Feuer and DeLeon. The problem seems to be finding a candidate that isn't worse for the 2A than some of these sitting morons.

A 2A candidate that declares himself or herself as such in this state isn't going to get elected anyway.

bssybeep
10-12-2009, 3:57 PM

I feel the same regarding the "Harvey Milk Day". I read the emails/faxes/phone calls were 4 to 1 against Milk, yet he still signed it, wtf??

Rob454
10-12-2009, 4:05 PM
actually, we voted for the lies they all tell us during their campaigns...

Then we need to have a simpler recall procedure. Dude I hope that within the next 3-4 years I can get the hell out of this state. me and my wife own three houses here and Im about ready to sell them all and GTFO.
unfortunately i cant right now but hopefully in 4 years i can.
Rob

devildog999
10-12-2009, 4:26 PM
I would agree with the OP. God knows the number of vetoes he got had to be one of the highest in history (that could be a bit of a overstatment)