View Full Version : Shot my Tikka 28/76 in a match today

10-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Today - Sunday Oct 11 - I used my 28/76 to shoot the first and second stages of a 3x600 yard High Power prone match. The wind was on the mild side today, only had to make a couple half centimeter corrections during the 20 shot string of fire.

The first stage didn't go real great. After about 10 rounds my hand stop started slipping in the rail and I didn't figure out what was going wrong till I had shot a 9,8,7,7,9, all straight out the bottom at 6 o'clock. I finished the first stage with a 185 (possible 200). I forget what the X count was.

The second stage went MUCH better. I shot a 195-7X. I had only dropped 2 points through 18 shots, then shot another 9, and a really ugly 8 out the top. But I was thrilled. The old rifle still shoots and I managed a second place in the Master class.

While the sights aren't quite the same as modern aperture sights, they worked well enough for the light conditions we had today. But I LOVE the stock. It's like it was custom made to fit me.

Sierra 175 SMK
46.5gr Reloader 15
CCI 200 Primer
2.98" COL (2.400 to the ogive using a Stoney Point gauge)

Since our targets are glued on on I couldn't bring the target home, but I was plotting my shots and transferred them from my log book to a jpg of the same target face. The 600 yard MR target with 6 inch X ring.

10-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Good shooting Hoss. :) Just say if that was a bad guy 600 yards way, I think he wouldn't be breathing anymore.;)

Dr. Peter Venkman
10-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Show a picture of that awesome Tikka!

10-12-2009, 4:09 PM
Show a picture of that awesome Tikka!

10-12-2009, 5:54 PM
I don't have a picture of mine yet, but it looks just like this one. Picture is from Empire Arms.

Lucky Scott
10-12-2009, 6:42 PM
Wow, I have seen those for sale but never heard from someone that shoots one.

10-17-2009, 6:21 PM
And to top things off, today I won the vintage military rifle silhouette match at Sac Valley. Finished in a 3 way tie for first in the open class (military rifles with target sights or scopes), and then won the shoot off!

10-17-2009, 6:59 PM
Wow, that's pretty sweet :)

I'm too much of a chicken to bring my CG-63 out there. The Elite rear sight is like having an analog knob for elevation.

10-17-2009, 7:26 PM
Wow, that's pretty sweet :)

I'm too much of a chicken to bring my CG-63 out there. The Elite rear sight is like having an analog knob for elevation.

Lots of people have used CG63 rifles and done very well. The Elite sight is better than most of them, except maybe for the Busk. It adjusts fine enough for this match.

Did I mention I won the open class with target sights against 11 other rifles - all with scopes :)

Com'on Ernest, you know you want to do this match. Tom Murphy comes to all of them.

10-20-2009, 8:50 PM
nicely done! that's why i love these old guns. even the modern stuff without the right shooter won't work like this. apox on them! i'm working on a mosin sporter that i hope will be a winner, i've got a swede sporter that is disgusting, although i haven't punched paper with it in a long time, got a couple others in progress, including an argentine mauser scout rifle, and a persian sporter in 8mm-06. updates to come...love your rifle and report. keep it alive!!