PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense M4 Upper v. Building my own

BiggSean
10-11-2009, 5:42 PM
I'm torn between building my own upper assembly around a 16" WOA Stainless Steel barrel, VLTOR receiver, Daniel Defense Omega Rails, Pop Up sights, bolt + charging handle, etc, versus just taking advantage of this offer on the Daniel Defense M4 Upper:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Daniel-Defense-16-M4-Carbine-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/ddm4%20upper%20half%2016%2012.htm

I'm not into competitive shooting or anything, but I do want something that is going to be both reliable and accurate. I understand that theoretically I am giving up some accuracy by going over to a chrome lined steel barrel, but I would save a heck of a lot of money and get something that is VERY closely equipped to what I was considering building in the first place.

What say the community? Piece my own build together, or just order this upper and be done with it?

reidnez
10-11-2009, 5:46 PM
For your uses (and mine), that upper will be more than adequate. Build your own only if you want to and will enjoy it.

BiggSean
10-11-2009, 5:52 PM
That's what I'm thinking. I really think this would will save me a lot of time and aggravation of having to piece the entire thing together.

I can also save a good deal of money to put towards a quality stock and optics. Was thinking about getting a VLTOR Emod stock, and swapping out the fixed rear sight with a popup in anticipation of my eventual purchase of optics.

reidnez
10-11-2009, 6:01 PM
That's what I'm thinking. I really think this would will save me a lot of time and aggravation of having to piece the entire thing together.

I can also save a good deal of money to put towards a quality stock and optics. Was thinking about getting a VLTOR Emod stock, and swapping out the fixed rear sight with a popup in anticipation of my eventual purchase of optics.

You are really coming at this in the right way. :thumbsup: Good optics cost more than a good rifle, but they are worth it.

cal3gunner
10-11-2009, 6:55 PM

bondmid003
10-11-2009, 11:05 PM
That Daniel Defense upper is pretty sweet, thats what my vote is for at least