PDA

View Full Version : Need help with SKS mag lock

Fot
10-11-2009, 1:55 PM
Went shooting yesterday with some friends yesterday. One of them broke out a newly purchased SKS that had a Tapco stock with a pistol grip and a detachable Mag. He's a new gun owner and wants to be legal so told him i would help him find what he needs to do so. But here is the kicker, after searching google, calguns and a SKS forum. I can't find anything on a mag lock. Any SKS guys out there can get me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks guys.

bronco1500
10-11-2009, 1:58 PM
your joking right?

Fot
10-11-2009, 2:00 PM
No not joking, but probably missing something huh?

StevieC
10-11-2009, 2:04 PM
good question
Here's what I read

SKS's with detachable magazines are named assault rifles in california
I don't think it's legal even with a bullet button

hope somebody can here can say for sure

Librarian
10-11-2009, 2:08 PM
If it's an actual SKS (not a Yugo/Zastava or other marking) and it has a removable magazine, it's a named California 'assault weapon'.

This is an extreme no-no.

See the CA AW ID Flowchart, page 2 - link in the top bar of the forum page in every forum.

Fot
10-11-2009, 2:18 PM
If it's an actual SKS (not a Yugo/Zastava or other marking) and it has a removable magazine, it's a named California 'assault weapon'.

See the CA AW ID Flowchart, page 2 - link in the top bar of the forum page in every forum.

The gun was purchased within the last two months from a local guns store with detachable mags, so I assume it's not listed. He did say it was yugoslavian made.

professorhard
10-11-2009, 2:20 PM
Get one of the Tapco 10/20 fixed mags and you're good to go.

JeffM
10-11-2009, 2:20 PM
good question
Here's what I read

SKS's with detachable magazines are named assault rifles in california
I don't think it's legal even with a bullet button

hope somebody can here can say for sure

Hmmmm.... anyone else see what I see?

The bullet button concept originated with the SKS...

Rob454
10-11-2009, 2:28 PM
Just use the factory 10 round non detachable mag. its really the best one IMO.

Hunter4life1990
10-11-2009, 2:33 PM
just fix the detachable mags yourself,stick aa metal pin through the rib in the mag where it locks into the rifle.works like a champ.

Jpach
10-11-2009, 2:38 PM
Hmmmm.... anyone else see what I see?

The bullet button concept originated with the SKS...

Yes it made me lol. Easy mistake though. A bullet button would make it a fixed mag setup, therefore elimination its detachable mag-ness

Fot
10-11-2009, 2:49 PM
Yes it made me lol. Easy mistake though. A bullet button would make it a fixed mag setup, therefore elimination its detachable mag-ness

So does any company make a BB for these? Or is it a make your or or don't convert it type of deal?

Fot
10-11-2009, 3:19 PM
your joking right?

Hey Bronco I know it's frustrating to see new guns owners asking questions and what not, but if you don't want to help out and answer the question. Why not refrain from responding at all.

To those that have responded thank you. I have been given enough info to help my buddy back to the legal side of the law.

skscj
10-11-2009, 3:34 PM
If he was to lose the pistol-grip stock, put on a original stock, will he be able to use detachable mags? That would make it like a M1 Carbine, correct?

JeffM
10-11-2009, 3:36 PM
If he was to lose the pistol-grip stock, put on a original stock, will he be able to use detachable mags? That would make it like a M1 Carbine, correct?

No.

"SKS with detachable magazine" is specifically listed as an assault weapon.

skscj
10-11-2009, 3:44 PM
Wow. They look more "purdy" in the original set-up anyhow:)

BrowningTBolt
10-11-2009, 4:33 PM
Hey Bronco I know it's frustrating to see new guns owners asking questions and what not, but if you don't want to help out and answer the question. Why not refrain from responding at all.

To those that have responded thank you. I have been given enough info to help my buddy back to the legal side of the law.

It has nothing to do with "frustration." You implicated your friend on a public forum known to be frequented by DOJ and LEA for creating/possessing an assault weapon. That is why he asked if you were joking :rolleyes:

Your friend needs to learn the basic laws before going and doing things like he did. It isn't that complicated; but he stepped in it this time.

Fot
10-11-2009, 6:36 PM
It has nothing to do with "frustration." You implicated your friend on a public forum known to be frequented by DOJ and LEA for creating/possessing an assault weapon. That is why he asked if you were joking

If that is the case then I apologize. I took his response as laughing at someone who didn't know an answer to a question he deemed simple or common knowledge.
As for implicating my friend. I never stated his name, location , shooting location/state. And under oath I couldn't say for sure if the rifle was a SKS with a tapco stock or a Ruger 10/22 with a Tapco stock, from a distance they look the same.

Your friend needs to learn the basic laws before going and doing things like he did. It isn't that complicated; but he stepped in it this time.

Gun was exactly the way it was purchased used from a local gun shop. No modification done from my friend.

skscj
10-12-2009, 2:41 PM
Its all good.

offrdmania
10-12-2009, 2:55 PM
So can this shop be liable if this guy gets caught with an AW? Im guessing that the SKS was modified sometime in its life to accept detachable mags. Maybe go back to the shop that it was bought from and either ask for your money back or have them pay for the modification to make it legal.

mydogsmonkey
10-12-2009, 7:53 PM
wait so yugos can be set up with an sks lock? and only those marked as SKS's can't have a detachable mag? so if i were to have a yugo 59/66, i can put a detachable 10 round mag on it?

Fot
10-12-2009, 10:23 PM
So can this shop be liable if this guy gets caught with an AW? Im guessing that the SKS was modified sometime in its life to accept detachable mags. Maybe go back to the shop that it was bought from and either ask for your money back or have them pay for the modification to make it legal.

I think that would fall into a he said/she said type of deal. Hard to prove what was or wasn't on a gun at time of purchase.

Jpach
10-12-2009, 11:09 PM

Hey brotha, sorry if we rubbed you the wrong way but in all honesty we were laughing at another guy who didnt quite catch on to something. (at least I was)

I dont know exactly how to make a BB for the SKS but as others have said, just use the original SKS fixed mag and it should be good to go. Hopefully others can/already have helped because I am interested in this too

Jpach
10-12-2009, 11:11 PM
wait so yugos can be set up with an sks lock? and only those marked as SKS's can't have a detachable mag? so if i were to have a yugo 59/66, i can put a detachable 10 round mag on it?

Since the Yugo isnt technically an SKS it is indeed legal to put a detachable mag on that baby, but it may not be the smartest thing to do. You know, all those uneducated LEOs and whatnot

dezertrat
10-13-2009, 8:52 PM
im pretty sure a yugo is considered an SKS http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

in fact the 59/66 is not legal to sell in CA unless it has the grenade launcher replaced with a muzzle break.

Most recommend leaving the fixed 10rd mag as it is the most reliable.

also see: http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html#_Toc167103931

BrowningTBolt
10-13-2009, 9:00 PM
im pretty sure a yugo is considered an SKS http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

in fact the 59/66 is not legal to sell in CA unless it has the grenade launcher replaced with a muzzle break.

It is an SKS type rifle but it is NOT an SKS. It is a Zastava M59/66 carbine. You can run detachable "duckbill" magazines on it provided you are running featureless.

Just like my Stag-15 is not an "AR-15." Rather, it is an AR-15 TYPE rifle.

What does that have to do with whether it is an "SKS" or not?! They can't be sold with the grenade launcher because it is a grenade launcher i.e. a DESTRUCTIVE DEVICE.

Jpach
10-14-2009, 12:19 AM
It is an SKS type rifle but it is NOT an SKS. It is a Zastava M59/66 carbine. You can run detachable "duckbill" magazines on it provided you are running featureless.

Just like my Stag-15 is not an "AR-15." Rather, it is an AR-15 TYPE rifle.

What does that have to do with whether it is an "SKS" or not?! They can't be sold with the grenade launcher because it is a grenade launcher i.e. a DESTRUCTIVE DEVICE.

Couldnt have said it better my friend, couldnt have said it better.

Dr. Peter Venkman
10-14-2009, 12:43 AM

It would be a no-no-, Yugo/Zastava or not, due to the pistol grip configuration.

Futurecollector
10-14-2009, 1:08 AM

IIRC a yugo could use preban 10< rder mags,

but and this is a big BUT... ITS A FINE VERY VERY FINE LINE...

aslong as the rifle is featureless, menaing no flash hider, pistol grip etc etc you shoudl be legally able to use 10< rd mags,

take this with a grain of slat, I did just down some "Tussin DM" and its 2AM :43::eek:

ElvenSoul
10-14-2009, 2:58 AM
If it is not Chinese made SKS....then you can just un-bubba it.

Until your friend can slam a fixed mag in place - disassemble the rifle.

Striper clips are faster than a BB any day. Why I love VZ58.

Oh if it is a Yugo SKS - make sure the grenade launcher is removed.

Lucky Scott
10-14-2009, 6:01 AM
The SKS is a great gun and I have a Yugo and really like it.
I am under the impression that any detachable magazine and any magazine that holds more than 10 rounds is not legal.

I use the original 10 rounders, and you can buy one here for about $25 bucks plus shipping.

http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=161

I dont think there is any other way to be 100% legal.

bronco1500
10-14-2009, 7:31 AM
To Mr. Fot
I meant no disrespect in my post about you being joking. Please dont interpret my comment as talking down to you or laughing at your expense.

Here is my understanding of the sks and zastava
1. All a.w. laws apply. Therefore pistol grip with detach mag is illegal.
2.Chinese aka norinco with detach mag is an a.w.
3. Yugo made Zastava sks clone is NOT a sks. Therefore original stock with detach mag and modified bolt is legal.OR Tapco stock with original fixed 10 round mag is legal.

hope this info helps you and your friend

bmell209
08-29-2013, 4:15 AM
iv been looking for a BB or mag lock for a sks and stumbled across this forum.

i felt the need to actually sign up just so i could comment, after reading this thread full of miss information and lack of information.

first of all a, removable magazine on a sks is NOT illegal and does NOT classified it as an A.W. in the state of California. A semi automatic rifle (in this case SKS) is only classified as AW when removable mag is accompanied by 1 or more of the fallowing :

pistol grip, telescoping or folding stock, forward pistol grip, thumb hole stock, grenade launcher or flare launcher and flash suppressor.

so.. u may have detachable mag on a stock sks or u can have all of the above without detachable mag

buuuuut.... a magazine is considered fixed (NOT removable) when magazine release is equipped with "bullet button" or BB. A BB is nothing but a magazine release cover that requires the shooter to use a tool (or bullet, hence the name) to access the mag release lever.

Why would somebody want said device attached to their gun? other than the fact that the stock sks mag just looks boring...? well their are many other reasons that don't need to be discussed, but the main reason is being 922r Compliant.

nobody talked about the federal 922r law...

i don't feel like posting a link but its easy to look up and learn about, i will try my best to explain.

basically once u modify a legally imported semi auto rifle or shotgun u must then make it American... why? i don't think anybody knows and yes it is dumb.

ATF made a list of the 20 main semi auto rifle and shotgun components. of these 20 parts you are only allowed to have 10 that are foreign, i.e. parts made by original manufacturer. if u have more than 10, and u will, u must replace the these extra foreign parts with USA made parts until u have only 10 foreign parts.

easiest things to change are stock, hand guard, piston and magazine. ALSO....the magazine is broken down into 3 separate parts : housing , floor plate and follower. so if u don't replace mag u will have to figure out 3 other parts to replace... just change the mag....

u cant just replace stock, or just add a detachable magazine. u are going to have to swap about 5-7 foreign parts for USA made parts (and yes u should make sure they are stamped USA)

Now lets face it if u have to replace stock why not put on a pistol grip and folding/ collapsible stock....?

now ware u run into trouble is making your gun both 922r compliant and cal legal at the same time....

if u put a removable mag on stock sks u are CA legal but not 992r compliant.
if u then change your stock amongst other parts( then add pistol grip... cuz u should) then u are 922r compliant but not CA legal... The only answer then is a BB or mag lock.

i guess u could just not put pistol grip or folding stock, and just have detachable mag with out mag lock and be compliant both ways.

if u just change stock, with no pistol grip or folding but stock, and don't change mag u will be forced to swap 3 other separate parts, i mean do u really want to keep fixed mag that bad? u might as well not even alter the gun...its just to easy to change mag.

anyways look it up your selves... cool

Librarian
08-29-2013, 11:25 AM
iv been looking for a BB or mag lock for a sks and stumbled across this forum.

i felt the need to actually sign up just so i could comment, after reading this thread full of miss information and lack of information.

first of all a, removable magazine on a sks is NOT illegal and does NOT classified it as an A.W. in the state of California. A semi automatic rifle (in this case SKS) is only classified as AW when removable mag is accompanied by 1 or more of the fallowing :

anyways look it up your selves... cool

We have, long ago.

You have missed current PC 30510 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/30510.html):30510. As used in this chapter and in Sections 16780, 17000, and
27555, "assault weapon" means the following designated semiautomatic
firearms:
(a) All of the following specified rifles:
(1) All AK series including, but not limited to, the models
identified as follows:
(A) Made in China AK, AKM, AKS, AK47, AK47S, 56, 56S, 84S, and
86S.
(B) Norinco 56, 56S, 84S, and 86S.
(C) Poly Technologies AKS and AK47.
(D) MAADI AK47 and ARM.
(2) UZI and Galil.
(3) Beretta AR-70.
(4) CETME Sporter.
(5) Colt AR-15 series.
(6) Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1, Max 2, AR 100, and AR 110C.
(7) Fabrique Nationale FAL, LAR, FNC, 308 Match, and Sporter.
(8) MAS 223.
(9) HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, and HK-PSG-1.
(10) The following MAC types:
(A) RPB Industries Inc. sM10 and sM11.
(B) SWD Incorporated M11.
(11) SKS with detachable magazine.

But, welcome to Calguns anyway.

Mossy Man
08-29-2013, 12:19 PM
I helped a friend pin a tapco 10/20 because his factory 10 was broken.

It was easy, but the problem is that stripper clips were hard to load, and it was difficult to clear malfunctions.

I think its a safety issue too since you cant easily empty the mag like in the factory version.

We ended up ordering a new follower for the factory mag and used that instead.