PDA

View Full Version : AB962: Called in 100 "OPPOSED" Votes This A.M.

Phil3
10-11-2009, 10:36 AM
It took about an hour and a half and well over 500 attempts, but managed to log 100 "opposed" votes on the AB 962, 916-445-2841 line this morning.

Now to the fax machine.

- Phil

natasha69
10-11-2009, 10:38 AM
i'll match your 100. going back to the phone right now. great commitment and work!

Sig357
10-11-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm in, I will match your 100. 99 to go.

goober
10-11-2009, 10:40 AM
good work guys. i'm on it too. but does anyone have any reliable information regrading whether multiple calls from the same outgoing line count? it would be tragic for folks to work so hard and only register a single "NO" vote...

SkatinJJ
10-11-2009, 10:40 AM
EXCELLENT!!!

Keep up the pressure!

Semper FI!!!

JJ

freonr22
10-11-2009, 10:44 AM
how many lines do you think they have?

StudioDison
10-11-2009, 10:46 AM
i made 700 calls yesterday from 4pm to 4am. got thru about 150. pressed
1-2-2-1. J/K 1-2-2-2
my fingers are cramped

jello2594
10-11-2009, 10:46 AM
good work guys. i'm on it too. but does anyone have any reliable information regrading whether multiple calls from the same outgoing line count? it would be tragic for folks to work so hard and only register a single "NO" vote...

If your number is blocked, and due to the fact that the number being dialed is NOT toll-free, then there is no way to trace back to the caller.

SkatinJJ
10-11-2009, 10:51 AM
i made 700 calls yesterday from 4pm to 4am. got thru about 150. pressed
1-2-2-1. J/K 1-2-2-2
my fingers are cramped

THANKS for picking me up!!!!

I had to work yesterday, so I couldn't do anything but wish.

Semper FI!!!

JJ

goober
10-11-2009, 10:51 AM
If your number is blocked, and due to the fact that the number being dialed is NOT toll-free, then there is no way to trace back to the caller.

if that is true, does it result in your call being tossed out (without telling you), or your vote being recorded?

Sig357
10-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Getting through to easy guys, keep calling!!!!

PonchoTA
10-11-2009, 10:56 AM
I've made about 100 calls so far this morning, gotten through ONCE.

I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but I'll keep dialing!

:cheers2:
Paul

spitkiss
10-11-2009, 10:58 AM
I hope you guys are using *67 to block your caller id before making each call.

Phil3
10-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Guys, thanks for your commitments! It IS a lot of work, but it helped to peruse www.calguns.net while dialing the phone. Maybe we should have started the Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze calling club, based on times the number was called.

The governor meets with the legislature at 10:30 am this morning over the water deal, so doubtful any decision has been made yet. Keep the calls, faxes, tweets, and e-mails coming! No one ever slows down at the finish line unless the outcome is already known. And we don't.

- Phil

Sig357
10-11-2009, 11:00 AM
my landline is blocked...but wifey is upset because she needs the phone.

I told her we're moving if Arnie doesn't veto...she frickin vetoed my move threat.

wildhawker
10-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Well done, all! Grab a gear and keep the pressure on!!

AggregatVier
10-11-2009, 11:20 AM
The irony would be those making multiple duplicate calls that will not be counted are blocking out folks who will only be calling once and then give up because the lines are jammed. This is not Chicago, people, and it's not a competition to see who can call the most often. You think this won't be spun to say the vast majority of calls were from robo-dialers instead of INDIVIDUAL concerned callers who will cast their ONE REAL VOTE later?

wildhawker
10-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Agg, there is more than one upside to high pressure on these issues. Further, there is no evidence to support your theory. I don't care how it's spun as long as we kill it.

Regulus
10-11-2009, 11:32 AM
I have to say I believe that the Gov knows the majority of people in the state, country and everywhere oppose this. Here is why:

Googled "Gov Schwarzenegger AB962" - not a single hit is support of this bill through 10 pages.

Googled "Gov Schwarzenegger please sign AB962" - only checked three pages, but no supporting hits.

Googled "Gov Schwarzenegger please sign AB962 children" - Finally got a hit on page 1 (7th hit (http://www.womenslegalresource.com/blog/archives/1273)).
Unfortunately, all three comments in reply disagree with her.

I do not believe it is possible that supporters could convince him they are the majority.

If he does not Veto this bill (and/or AB 585) it is not because he is uninformed.

Larua
10-11-2009, 11:34 AM

Not entirely true...there are ways to loop a call to a non-800 number through an 800 number which reveals caller ID (though I highly doubt Schwarzenegger's office is doing this).

if that is true, does it result in your call being tossed out (without telling you), or your vote being recorded?

I think it would look bad politically if it turned out that an elected official was ignoring calls from constituents simply because their phone numbers happened to be blocked (especially without some sort of public prior notification to this effect).

Phil3
10-11-2009, 11:36 AM
The irony would be those making multiple duplicate calls that will not be counted are blocking out folks who will only be calling once and then give up because the lines are jammed. This is not Chicago, people, and it's not a competition to see who can call the most often. You think this won't be spun to say the vast majority of calls were from robo-dialers instead of INDIVIDUAL concerned callers who will cast their ONE REAL VOTE later?

Do you know for sure if calls from the same number are not counted? I have not heard from anyone that such a policy exists. At best, I have heard speculation.

Even if the numbers are even being logged, is anyone going to the trouble to toss out duplicates? Nor do we know what the opposition is doing...are they robo-calling or...?

I have called many times without caller ID blocked and many times with it blocked, although the latter does not permit me to redial on the phone.

The safest approach is to remain diligent and patient, with a resolve to get X number of calls in, with caller ID blocked. It helped me to know that the busy signal was most likely due to my brethen here, doing the same thing. That's OK with me and will not soften my resolve to make my target number of calls. I hope all feel this way.

As an aside, I also call from work, as there are many outgoing lines, and it is random on which one is used. Some may be repeated, but not that often.

- Phil

gravedigger
10-11-2009, 12:09 PM

Don't think for a moment that the gu'mint doesn't have a way to override the caller ID blocking. Look up "ANI" (Automatic Number Identification)

Do you think that if someone called that number with a bomb threat or something, they'd say, "Gosh ... THAT sure sounded like a threat! Too bad we have no way of knowing who called..."

They know EXACTLY who called, how many times they called, and when they called. It doesn't matter. We can still vote, but I'm not about to assume that AT&T's Caller ID Blocking feature has more clout that the governor's office.

ugimports
10-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Don't forget to vote down the Cow Palace Gun Show Ban as well...I think it's option 3...

bwiese
10-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Don't think for a moment that the gu'mint doesn't have a way to override the caller ID blocking. Look up "ANI" (Automatic Number Identification)

Do you think that if someone called that number with a bomb threat or something, they'd say, "Gosh ... THAT sure sounded like a threat! Too bad we have no way of knowing who called..."

They know EXACTLY who called, how many times they called, and when they called. It doesn't matter. We can still vote, but I'm not about to assume that AT&T's Caller ID Blocking feature has more clout that the governor's office.

They don't. It's an old PBX. The state is broke. They don't have programming support to process the SMDR records - or they're gathered somewhere on a disk file that can be looked at in emergency. Nobody's real-time monitoring this data for trends, etc. Remember, this is a gov't operation.

Threats such as you outlined would be handled separately. Tracking who dialled whom for the bill opposition voice response number ain't happening.

jello2594
10-11-2009, 12:26 PM

It means each call should be considered as a separate vote.

6172crew
10-11-2009, 12:37 PM
It took about an hour and a half and well over 500 attempts, but managed to log 100 "opposed" votes on the AB 962, 916-445-2841 line this morning.

Now to the fax machine.

- Phil
:rockon::King::patriot::25::82::tank::

goober
10-11-2009, 12:41 PM
It means each call should be considered as a separate vote.

just seems that we are all speculating at this point. i'm all for making our voices heard, and just in case it actually helps, i have voted 20 or more times via various outgoing lines... but as was pointed out, it would be good to know if there is a down side to this multiple voting activity... if multi-votes don't count, then at best we are shooting ourselves in the foot by tying up the lines & preventing votes that WILL count from being cast... at worst, a preponderance of known multi-votes could cast the entire process into question and actually hurt our cause, when the results are interpreted.
once again, this is all speculation. i'm not saying any of the above scenarios are occurring, i'm merely hoping that someone will have some kind of definitive, authoritative answer to these questions.
and
EVERYONE SHOULD VOTE (at least) ONCE FROM EVERY OUTGOING LINE TO WHICH THEY HAVE ACCESS.

Dr Rockso
10-11-2009, 12:45 PM
I don't have a fax machine, but there are free services (http://gotfreefax.com) which you can upload a .pdf or word file and have it sent to a fax machine. I hope everyone without a fax machine can do the same. If you're worried about spam email use a junk email account (don't use a fake one, you have to confirm the email account before the fax will send).

Fax: 916-558-3160

AggregatVier
10-12-2009, 9:32 AM
None of the calls ever "counted" - he signed it anyway. This was never some sort of internet poll where you can stuff the box and take pleasure in lop sidded counts because your side "won". Even American Idol is on to this tired, old, uncreative tactic. All that matters is how the courts rule and CGF is already down that path. Next time, write a letter. Mail is real, phone polls are a click-deleted palative.

djbooya
10-12-2009, 10:52 AM
None of the calls ever "counted" - he signed it anyway. This was never some sort of internet poll where you can stuff the box and take pleasure in lop sidded counts because your side "won". Even American Idol is on to this tired, old, uncreative tactic. All that matters is how the courts rule and CGF is already down that path. Next time, write a letter. Mail is real, phone polls are a click-deleted palative.

How is mail any more real then the phone survey? If he's going to throw out any counts on the phone survey why would you assume he would count each piece of mail coming in? Honestly, if the phone was not being used for any purpose they wouldn't even offer it.