PDA

View Full Version : tried my new Ruger 50th Anniversary Blackhawk (.357)

bwiese
03-27-2005, 8:57 PM
Well I am one of the lucky few that latched on to the new Ruger 50th Anniv. Blackhawk (in .357 Magnum).

For those that don't know this gun, it's based on the old mid-1950s "Flattop" frame/cylinder and has slightly smaller XR3 gripframe. Thus, its general form factor and contours are that of a Colt SAA. (Except for this model, regular Ruger Blackhawks & Super Blackhawks have a bigger/beefier frame than Colt SAAs.)

The New Vaquero shares this Colt SAA formfactor as well.

The really cool thing about the 50th Anniv. Blackhawk and the New Vaqueros is that, even with the transfer bar safety setup, there's a new detent setup so the cylinder indexes at just the right position to eject cases/insert cartridges - much better than regular Blackhawks and orig. Vaqueros.

I've just shot this puppy, and it's WONDERFUL. Accurate, feels great in my hand, etc.

Normally I'm a Ruger Bisley fan for the bigger-framed guns, but the orig XR3 Blackhawk grip - a la Colt SAA - is great and fits my hand very nicely.

Balance of this gun might improve if a larger caliber were available (say, .44Mag/.44Spl) since Rugers in a given line generally have same bbl diameters and just have bigger holes drilled in 'em.

My only slight complaint is that the gold text, "50th Anniversary...", emblazoned on top of the barrel is ever so slightly not aligned on the axis (i.e, slightly crooked if you spent enough time staring at it).

But the new grips, finish job, feel and shootability are GREAT.

I hope Ruger keeps this gun as a regular item and not just a 50th Anniv. special. It clearly needs to be released in a bigger bore too.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

bwiese
03-27-2005, 8:57 PM
Well I am one of the lucky few that latched on to the new Ruger 50th Anniv. Blackhawk (in .357 Magnum).

For those that don't know this gun, it's based on the old mid-1950s "Flattop" frame/cylinder and has slightly smaller XR3 gripframe. Thus, its general form factor and contours are that of a Colt SAA. (Except for this model, regular Ruger Blackhawks & Super Blackhawks have a bigger/beefier frame than Colt SAAs.)

The New Vaquero shares this Colt SAA formfactor as well.

The really cool thing about the 50th Anniv. Blackhawk and the New Vaqueros is that, even with the transfer bar safety setup, there's a new detent setup so the cylinder indexes at just the right position to eject cases/insert cartridges - much better than regular Blackhawks and orig. Vaqueros.

I've just shot this puppy, and it's WONDERFUL. Accurate, feels great in my hand, etc.

Normally I'm a Ruger Bisley fan for the bigger-framed guns, but the orig XR3 Blackhawk grip - a la Colt SAA - is great and fits my hand very nicely.

Balance of this gun might improve if a larger caliber were available (say, .44Mag/.44Spl) since Rugers in a given line generally have same bbl diameters and just have bigger holes drilled in 'em.

My only slight complaint is that the gold text, "50th Anniversary...", emblazoned on top of the barrel is ever so slightly not aligned on the axis (i.e, slightly crooked if you spent enough time staring at it).

But the new grips, finish job, feel and shootability are GREAT.

I hope Ruger keeps this gun as a regular item and not just a 50th Anniv. special. It clearly needs to be released in a bigger bore too.

Bill Wiese
San Jose