PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Gun Show

imported_11Z50
04-18-2005, 7:59 PM
I'm going to the "Nations Gun Show" in Chantilly VA this weekend. On the website, it says non-VA residents <span class="ev_code_RED">MAY</span>I say again <span class="ev_code_RED">MAY</span>purchase longarms cash and carry, with ID and instant check! Just to exercise my freedoms, I may consider the purchase of a new shotgun or something just because I can. VA does require that I am complying with the laws of my home state. This obviously means no AW's, but if I see a good buy on something I want to pick it up. Flying with a gun might be a big-time hassle though. I'm not sure what's up with UPS, but can I ups myself a longarm? Any ideas?

imported_11Z50
04-18-2005, 7:59 PM
I'm going to the "Nations Gun Show" in Chantilly VA this weekend. On the website, it says non-VA residents <span class="ev_code_RED">MAY</span>I say again <span class="ev_code_RED">MAY</span>purchase longarms cash and carry, with ID and instant check! Just to exercise my freedoms, I may consider the purchase of a new shotgun or something just because I can. VA does require that I am complying with the laws of my home state. This obviously means no AW's, but if I see a good buy on something I want to pick it up. Flying with a gun might be a big-time hassle though. I'm not sure what's up with UPS, but can I ups myself a longarm? Any ideas?

Mssr. Eleganté
04-18-2005, 10:54 PM
Federal law says you can buy long guns in another state, but only if you buy them from and FFL in that state. It sounds like that's what the website you looked at is trying to say, but they should have specified that you can only buy from an FFL and not from a private party.

Federal law also says the purchase has to be legal in both your state of residence and the state of purchase.

Some people interpret this to mean, as you said, no California assault weapons or destructive devices. Others interpret this to mean having to go through a California FFL Dealer and do the DROS and waiting period, which would be impossible.

Cal DOJ had told me both ways over the phone, and I've seen a letter from Cal DOJ that followed the less restrictive interpretation.

If you want to buy a long gun that is over 50 years old from an FFL in Virginia then you are OK no matter which interpretation you follow, as long as the FFL is not a California FFL Dealer.

UPS will only accept firearms shipments going from an FFL to an FFL, or from a non-FFL to a gunsmith or to the factory.

However, you can use the US Postal Service to mail a long gun to yourself.

Taking a gun with you as checked baggage is not that big a hassle. You just need an airline approved locking case. But I guess you'd have to either take an empty one with you or buy one in Virginia, so that might be a hassle after all.

imported_EOD Guy
04-19-2005, 7:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
UPS will only accept firearms shipments going from an FFL to an FFL, or from a non-FFL to a gunsmith or to the factory
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true. UPS will ship firearms for any legal purpose. Here is their tariff on shipping firearms.

Firearms will be transported between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers and licensed collectors, as defined in the United States Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90-618, enacted October 22, 1968), as amended by the Firearms Owners' Protection Act (P.L. 99-308, approved May 19, 1986, and a subsequent amendment thereto, P.L. 99-360, approved July 8, 1986)("the acts"). law enforcement agencies of the United States or of any department or agency thereof, and law enforcement agencies of any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof, and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state, or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local law. The shipper must affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery to each package containing a firerm. Adult means a person 21 years of age or older. UPS, in its sole discretion, may require the shipper to select a UPS Next Day Air Service for any shipment containing a firearm. Handguns, as defined by the Acts, will only be accepted for transportation via UPS Next Day Air Services, but will not be accepted for transportation via UPS Drop Boxes, Internet Shipping, or in response to a request for On-Call Pickup Service. Firearms, including handguns, will not be accepted when presented for shipment at locations of The UPS Store or any Third Party Retailer (as described in Item 1090).

ivanimal
04-19-2005, 9:28 PM
Hey check out the prices on jerky for me Toby! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Mssr. Eleganté
04-19-2005, 9:37 PM
EOD Guy, thanks for the clarification. Do you know if UPS changed their rules recently?

The quote from the tariff that you posted is exactly how I remember it being the first time I read it a few years ago. But I could swear that one or two years ago UPS changed the wording to exclude non-FFL's from shipping firearms. There was a big hubbub about it on all the gun boards. I distinctly remember the phrase "to a gunsmith for customization or repair". I even remember posting links to UPS's tariff to show other people and quoting the section exactly from the UPS tariff when posting on other forums.

Now it looks like UPS has changed back to the original wording. Or did I just imagine the whole thing?

Either way, it is good news.

Mssr. Eleganté
04-19-2005, 9:54 PM
OK, I just did some research and I'm not losing my mind.

In the 2003 UPS tariff, unlicensed people were only allowed to ship firearms to a gunsmith or manufacturer for customization or repair. Check out Item 425...
http://www.ups.com/media/en/Tariff_2003.pdf

But under the latest UPS tariff, anybody can ship a firearm as long as all laws are followed, as EOD Guy pointed out.

This is great news. I wonder if the NRA or the National Shooting Sports Foundation asked UPS to change their rules back.