PDA

View Full Version : Mag Coupler legality

brendog10
10-10-2009, 9:04 PM
So, I'm new to the AK scene (Just Bought a Saiga .223) . And have thus far been surprised to find many things I thought would be legal To in-fact not be. And I try to do my research when Guns are concerned. So I thought I would ask. Are Mag Couplers CA legal? :confused:

CSACANNONEER
10-10-2009, 9:09 PM
They are perfectly fine to use but, WHY? Do you really want to be looked at as a mall ninja?

Peter W Bush
10-10-2009, 9:53 PM
you have an AK. Your mag coupler is duct tape.

supermario
10-10-2009, 10:51 PM
They are perfectly fine to use but, WHY? Do you really want to be looked at as a mall ninja?

Just curious but why is that mall ninja.. What if you have a saiga for home defense becus you dont have to have a dumb bb on it and you just want to
have detachable mags and you also want a mag coupler for its convenience.. Mall ninja is having a flashlight, buis, red dot, forward grip, tons of rail and rail covers, a sling, and to top it off, a tool to remove your 10rnd mag:rolleyes: I dont think mag coupler are mall ninja, i dont have any either, just saying.

joelukehart
10-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Brendog is just being cautious about the stupid draconian gun laws in CA. Mag couplers are cool on detachable mag Saiga's but I would not have them on a fixed mag OLL. Better safe than sorry.

brendog10
10-11-2009, 8:21 AM
Thanks guy's. And that's exactly it. I want the ability to have a few extra rounds handy . Without the Bullet button and extreme Tactical rail thing going on. Not to say there is anything wrong with that. I just like the stock Saiga. Mainly I just want to make sure that if I go out to the range I won't be arrested for connecting two legal magazines.

CSACANNONEER
10-11-2009, 6:43 PM
Just curious but why is that mall ninja.. What if you have a saiga for home defense becus you dont have to have a dumb bb on it and you just want to
have detachable mags and you also want a mag coupler for its convenience.. Mall ninja is having a flashlight, buis, red dot, forward grip, tons of rail and rail covers, a sling, and to top it off, a tool to remove your 10rnd mag:rolleyes: I dont think mag coupler are mall ninja, i dont have any either, just saying.

I think it's definately more of a tacticool thing. If I had to use my Saiga for HD, I'd feel very comfortable with only one mag on the gun. If I needed more than 30 rounds, I probably should have learned to shoot better and never have gotten myself into the situation in the first place. Then again, if the OP doesn't have 30 round mags, I still don't see why anyone with a half assed idea of how to shoot a rifle would need more than 10 rounds. But, if the OP is planning on being invaded by zombies, I could see him wanting an extra mag close at hand.

tomd1584
10-11-2009, 7:36 PM
I think it's definately more of a tacticool thing. If I had to use my Saiga for HD, I'd feel very comfortable with only one mag on the gun. If I needed more than 30 rounds, I probably should have learned to shoot better and never have gotten myself into the situation in the first place. Then again, if the OP doesn't have 30 round mags, I still don't see why anyone with a half assed idea of how to shoot a rifle would need more than 10 rounds. But, if the OP is planning on being invaded by zombies, I could see him wanting an extra mag close at hand.

OR maybe he wants it for a carbine class?

supermario
10-11-2009, 9:32 PM

I understand your view, to each his own. Personally I prefer alotta ammo over precise shooting or larger caliber weapons:D I like to see things dance. JK:D:43: Some rather a 45. with 10rnds, i would rather a 9mm with preban 20rnds. Its all good!;)

CSACANNONEER
10-12-2009, 8:07 AM
I understand your view, to each his own. Personally I prefer alotta ammo over precise shooting or larger caliber weapons:D I like to see things dance. JK:D:43: Some rather a 45. with 10rnds, i would rather a 9mm with preban 20rnds. Its all good!;)

Lets just say that I have plenty of normal mags around. Years ago, I stopped carrying my 9mm with 15-17 round mags and instead carry a 1911 w/8+1 or a 5 shot revolver. I already know that I can hit what I aim at and, in a SD situation, I would rather carry a gun that I'm far more proficient and comfortable with than a gun with more ammo in it. In MOST SD shootings someone is either hit by the first round fired or, guns are emptied and everyone walks away unharmed. You can plan for Zombie attacks all you want. I'm talking on a more practical level. If you think I need to prepare for Zombies, don't worry, I have. I can put my 1919 into an A6 configuration in a matter of a minute, attach a 100 round can to it and have a "portable" gun with 100 rounds of .308. Or, if I'm not going to move, I've got a few 250 round belts for it. I've got drum mags etc. too. But, again it's a bit much for the average SD/HD situation. Of course, to each his own. BTW, didn't you notice that I said that if I had to use my Saiga, I'd use my 30 round mags. So, I might only have one mag but, I'd still have 50% more ammo than the OP with two ten round mags. I just don't see the need to go in front of a jury and try to explain that you bought and had mag couplers ready to go but, you were not planning on using them. The Jury may decide that you planned to kill some poor smuck the day you put the "evil" mag couplers with your rifle.

tombinghamthegreat
10-12-2009, 10:00 AM
you have an AK. Your mag coupler is duct tape.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=156400

Did someone say duct tape?