PDA

View Full Version : American-made AK47 barrels? Are they reliable?

lomalinda
10-10-2009, 9:50 PM
I'm considering a few kits missing barrels and would like to hear what people think about the offerings of US companies.

Is the major problem with US barrels the issue of head spacing and keyholing, or is it the lack of chroming?

tankerman
10-10-2009, 10:26 PM
What "major problem" are you talking about?

lomalinda
10-10-2009, 10:47 PM
I addressed the problems I've heard.

It sounds like you don't think the barrels cause those problems. Have you any experience with the US-made stuff? I hope so, and that it was good, because I'm stuck with the prospect of having to use one of these barrels if I want to complete some builds.

thedrickel
10-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Why don't you just buy kits w/ OEM bbls? They seem to be plentiful and very reasonably priced right now.

sspen003
10-10-2009, 10:50 PM
I havent had a problem with mine. Its accurate as hell too. Not chromed lined or anything but it gets the job done

bwiese
10-10-2009, 10:52 PM
I don't buy nonchromed bbls for my ARs, so I wouldn't for AKs, esp since an AK is designed for crap ammo.

Get an OEM chrome-lined barrel.

lomalinda
10-10-2009, 10:55 PM
There are East German kits without barrels. I'd love to have an EG AK and I'm trying to gauge whether or not this is a viable prospect. Seems like it will be OK provided that one builds it more for the purpose of collecting rather than shooting it.

Is it that the non-chromed barrels more likely to rust or is there something else that I'm not considering as a negative factor?

five.five-six
10-10-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm considering a few kits missing barrels and would like to hear what people think about the offerings of US companies.

Is the major problem with US barrels the issue of head spacing and keyholing, or is it the lack of chroming?

from what i understand, it is very easy to misaligne a new barrel, and if you do it is trashed

MadRiverArms
10-11-2009, 12:02 AM
You can send it out to someone like restoreit1 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=10849) and he will handle the extra work of doing a virgin barrel. Other than that I don't think there is an issue with them per se other than using corrosive ammo. Then again not all AKs had chrome lined barrels originally.

-G

Ruiner
10-11-2009, 12:32 AM
No issue with my Lancaster 74. It has a US made chrome lined barrel. I believe the issue you are talking about applied to the CAI made tantals. They had issues with the bore being out of spec, thus the problem with keyholing.

SJgunguy24
10-11-2009, 1:05 AM
I thought copes has a ton of romy barrels for sale, chrome lined.