PDA

View Full Version : The Governor is Softening on Veto Threat

Phil3
10-10-2009, 4:56 PM
From RealClearMarkets, October 10.

Excerpts from

http://www.realclearmarkets.com/news/ap/finance_business/2009/Oct/10/california_governor__lawmakers_push_for_water_deal .html

Emphasis in following text is mine. - Phil

------------------------

"...Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger had said Friday that legislators were on the verge of a historic breakthrough on water, but talks broke up with about a dozens issues yet to be resolved...".

Lawmakers are trying to draft a plan to upgrade California's water system, which is failing to provide for farmers, cities and wildlife.

Earlier this week, Schwarzenegger had threatened to veto "a lot" of bills unless lawmakers agreed to a comprehensive water deal. The governor has until midnight Sunday to sign or veto about 700 bills, but Schwarzenegger on Friday said he was tired of waiting and a water deal would happen by the end of the day.

After the talks ended Friday, Schwarzenegger spokesman Aaron McLear said the governor felt lawmakers had made good progress and suggested Schwarzenegger might be willing to rethink his veto threat.

"If we're far enough along on a water deal, and he feels confident that we're in a good place, it's far less likely that we do the vetoes," McLear said...".

----------------------

Keep calling and faxing. I am finding as of this writing, the phone 916-445-2841 is much less busy than normal (I get through 45% of the time). Either the opposition is calling less, or we are. Please keep calling!

- Phil

Legasat
10-10-2009, 5:00 PM
What a wimp! If you're not willing to follow through, don't say it!

SickofSoCal
10-10-2009, 5:01 PM
*is very angry today*

Lone_Gunman
10-10-2009, 5:10 PM
Well crap. I've been calling and calling but at this point I have very little faith in Arnold.

HowardW56
10-10-2009, 5:11 PM
Well crap. I've been calling and calling but at this point I have very little faith in Arnold.

I'm afraid that I feel the same way....

lomalinda
10-10-2009, 5:22 PM
I watched a bit of "Commando" the other day. He shot AKs that never ran out of ammo. He used a SAW that fired all day long, never running out of the half-belt of ammo he started with.

The man's made millions setting up the antis' and the know-nothings' side of the story for guns in CA. Hell, he even allowed the 50 BMG ban.

In other words, expecting him to save our asses here is probably a bit far-fetched. Once de Leon dropped that turd into the win box, we were hosed.

*hopes he's proven wrong but ain't holding his breath*

GrizzlyGuy
10-10-2009, 5:32 PM
Tweet Arnold, that's the next best thing to calling him on his personal cell phone (which I would be calling if I had his number):

http://twitter.com/Schwarzenegger

Here's one of mine: Need ammo to protect family from armed & violent water thieves. Veto AB962!

:D

BroncoBob
10-10-2009, 5:34 PM
Girly man

RRangel
10-10-2009, 5:35 PM
Keep in mind that him and his people already downplayed his veto threat which makes it appear as mere rhetoric. We shouldn't treat our opposition to AB 962 and the bills outcome as if it hangs on the balance of some unrelated water agreement. Call and fax to voice your opposition. Tell your friends to call and voice opposition.

Phil3
10-10-2009, 8:07 PM
More news.

See below for an excerpt. Looks like the water meetings have not gone well, but more are scheduled for tomorrow (Sunday). Looks like this will be an 11th hour decision. - Phil

http://www.sacbee.com/business/nation/story/2245636.html?mi_rss=Wire%20Business%20News

--------------------------------

California lawmakers met again Saturday in hopes of reaching a deal to upgrade the state's decades-old water system, but left without resolving a handful of major outstanding issues.

Lawmakers offered only lukewarm reactions to their four-hour meeting with Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger Saturday, despite the governor's claim a day earlier that they were on the verge of a historic breakthrough on water.

"Sadly, there's little in the way of progress," Assembly Minority Leader Sam Blakeslee, R-San Luis Obispo, said as he left the meeting. He said the latest proposal would "create a vast new government bureaucracy."

The legislative leaders are trying to draft a plan to upgrade California's water system, which is failing to provide for farmers, cities and wildlife. They agreed to meet at the Capitol again Sunday.

Hanging in the balance are about 700 bills that Schwarzenegger has until midnight Sunday to sign or veto. He had previously threatened to veto "a lot" of the bills unless lawmakers agreed to a comprehensive water deal, but backed off late in the week when lawmakers appeared to be making progress. Action on the legislation was delayed until Sunday afternoon.

"We are going to reconvene with the leaders on Sunday and make a decision on the bills after that meeting," Schwarzenegger's spokesman, Aaron McLear, said Saturday evening.

6172crew
10-10-2009, 8:34 PM
This reminds me of the first few bills we helped kill. Nothing free is worth having imo.

hoffmang
10-10-2009, 9:12 PM
26 more hours folks. Keep fighting. We usually win when we fight.

-Gene

bwiese
10-10-2009, 9:45 PM
26 more hours folks. Keep fighting. We usually win when we fight.

-Gene

Yup, and it appears other folks in the CA gun world are at least remaining quiet/not committing missteps - so far.

Lone_Gunman
10-10-2009, 9:51 PM
Why do I get the feeling there is a subtext here that I know nothing about? Maybe my tinfoil hat is on too tight. Anyway I'm sitting here with my cell in one hand and my wifes in the other hitting redial over and over.

Gator Monroe
10-10-2009, 9:54 PM
Why do I get the feeling there is a subtext here that I know nothing about? Maybe my tinfoil hat is on too tight. Anyway I'm sitting here with my cell in one hand and my wifes in the other hitting redial over and over.

I just hope I don't see another morning like 9/11/2001 .

Lone_Gunman
10-10-2009, 10:01 PM
I was just talking abut the exchange between Gene and Bill that took place above my post. It seems like there is a little inside information there... as there should be between the Chairman and Vice Chairman of the CGF.

G17GUY
10-10-2009, 10:10 PM
I was just talking abut the exchange between Gene and Bill that took place above my post. It seems like there is a little inside information there... as there should be between the Chairman and Vice Chairman of the CGF.

I hope you are right.

hoffmang
10-10-2009, 11:04 PM
I hope you are right.

Keep fighting. 24 hours left. ;)

-Gene

natasha69
10-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Keep fighting. 24 hours left. ;)

-Gene

its past the "anti-guns moms' group" bedtimes....call call call.

armandolo
10-11-2009, 1:32 AM
22 hrs. I faxed 4 today on behalf of my friends (with their info and sig)

CalNRA
10-11-2009, 5:34 AM
22 hrs. I faxed 4 today on behalf of my friends (with their info and sig)

good job.

:thumbsup:

SkatinJJ
10-11-2009, 7:20 AM
Keep calling in, we're getting through this morning.

Make the gov a real man, and get him to veto AB 962.

Bizcuits
10-11-2009, 11:44 AM

I never had faith, he'll fail to sign em... so he can say he didn't support them, but didn't oppose them.

hoffmang
10-11-2009, 1:53 PM
I never had faith, he'll fail to sign em... so he can say he didn't support them, but didn't oppose them.

If we keep the phones lit, he'll veto them. 9 hours left.

-Gene

Shotgun Man
10-11-2009, 2:12 PM
If we keep the phones lit, he'll veto them. 9 hours left.

-Gene

And don't forget, as earlier suggested, to put *67 in there so that your number isn't recorded (if you're mass calling).

Librarian
10-11-2009, 2:21 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/10/11/national/a134050D77.DTL

California leaders try again for water deal

By DON THOMPSON, Associated Press Writer

Sunday, October 11, 2009

(10-11) 15:03 PDT Sacramento, Calif. (AP) --

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and legislative leaders were trying to work out a water deal Sunday as a midnight deadline neared for the governor to act on more than 700 bills.

The governor had signed or vetoed 200 bills by mid-afternoon, spokesman Mike Naple said.

Notable among those signed into law was a measure setting up a test program in four counties requiring drivers convicted of drunken driving to install devices that block vehicles from starting if alcohol is detected on the drivers' breath.

Schwarzenegger had delayed signing or vetoing 703 bills from this summer's legislative session to pressure lawmakers to improve California's deteriorating and inadequate water system.

He decided to start releasing bills because negotiations were progressing as the deadline neared, Naple said.

natasha69
10-11-2009, 3:49 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/capitolalertlatest/026144.html

Bud Fox
10-11-2009, 5:28 PM
What happens if he does nothing, does it go away? I do apologize if it's a stupid question.

D53
10-11-2009, 5:30 PM
What happens if he does nothing, does it go away? I do apologize if it's a stupid question.

it becomes a bill by default

Bud Fox
10-11-2009, 5:34 PM
it becomes a bill by default

MUTHER BEE. Just called again. Keep trying guys.

SkatinJJ
10-11-2009, 5:41 PM
I'm still calling.

Semper FI!!!

JJ

dfletcher
10-11-2009, 5:42 PM
Does the Governor have any future political plans in CA, such as running for Senator?

dwtt
10-11-2009, 5:42 PM
Any update on the status?
I tried looking it up at www.gov.ca.gov and the bill isn't listed as vetoed or signed.
I can't get through on the phone line so someone is tying up the phones.

Bud Fox
10-11-2009, 5:44 PM
I'm still calling.

Semper FI!!!

JJ

Added another vote JJ. KEEP CALLING GUYS.

Lone_Gunman
10-11-2009, 6:15 PM
From http://twitter.com/ejschultz3

Hollingsworth on chances of a #cawater deal tonight: "I don’t think that's poss…[trails off] we're making progress but that's hard to say"

These appear to still be the issues standing in a way of a #cawater deal: http://tinyurl.com/yfnyprc