PDA

View Full Version : Prone unsupported with sling? NRA masters help me out!

Army GI
10-10-2009, 2:22 PM
So I've been doing more shooting from the prone compared to being sprawled out on a bench now that I have my Service Rifle upper from WOA. The Army never taught us anything about the proper use of slings for rifle shooting but I am fairly sure that to shoot effectively you need to know how to use it. How do you shoot from the prone using a sling both the normal way and the "hasty sling"? I've been trying the hasty sling but I don't think it helps that much probably because I'm doing it wrong. I feel like I'm using my left bicep to hold the weight of the barrel. I should feel "locked in" and unable to move, but I am still twitching a little.

Ahhnother8
10-10-2009, 3:23 PM
So I've been doing more shooting from the prone compared to being sprawled out on a bench now that I have my Service Rifle upper from WOA. The Army never taught us anything about the proper use of slings for rifle shooting but I am fairly sure that to shoot effectively you need to know how to use it. How do you shoot from the prone using a sling both the normal way and the "hasty sling"? I've been trying the hasty sling but I don't think it helps that much probably because I'm doing it wrong. I feel like I'm using my left bicep to hold the weight of the barrel. I should feel "locked in" and unable to move, but I am still twitching a little.

I know nothing of the "hasty" sling.

The sling holds the weight of the gun. It pulls on the back of your left arm. You have to find a spot back there where your pulse does not affect the rifle. You should still be able to move around, the sling just needs to support the gun. The position of the left elbow is important. Some have it left of the gun, some beneath the trigger guard, and some actually slightly to the right of the gun. The right elbow just needs to be comfortable and consistent. Shoot a few highpower matches to get some further help. I just got home from one at Sac this morning, so you just missed that one. ;)

Lane

Pthfndr
10-10-2009, 3:47 PM
There's a HP regional match at the Coalinga range next Sunday. You should go shoot that. There will be several people there who would be perfectly happy to show you how to sling up and get your position correct. There's more than enough time during the prep period to do that if you just let them know you need the help.

Mean while, here are links that show how to rig up a leather sling, and a cotton GI web sling in the "hasty sling" method.

http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/slinghelp/slinghelp.htm

http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/websling/webslinghelp.htm

30Cal
10-10-2009, 4:21 PM
http://webpages.charter.net/tyoberg/upload/DSCN3290.JPG

The lower section does nothing. Loosen it so it's out of the way. Adjust the length of the upper one so that the length is the same as your fingertips to elbow--that should be a decent starting place.

ocabj
10-10-2009, 4:28 PM
After you look at the Ray-Vin hosted instructions posted by Pthfndr, just remember to:

1. Keep the loop high on the bicep.

2. Get the loop tight on the bicep.

3. Get the hook / keepers of the loop to line up over the brachial artery (or very close to it) to avoid pulse.

4. If possible, getting the support hand against the sling swivel is ideal. This often means a very, very low prone position. If you prefer a high position, then choking up on the forearm is fine as long as you have a good glove with rubber grip on the palm.

If the rifle isn't staying up on it's own after this, then you'll have to adjust the sling by moving the frog up as many notches as necessary.

Pthfndr
10-10-2009, 5:52 PM
The video below is from a service rifle match in England. They aren't allowed semi autos so their ARs are converted to single shots and they have to rack the bolt for each shot, but otherwise the rifle is the same as we use here for service rifle rifle competition.

If you watch this video it shows pretty decent position with a service rifle and leather sling. But if you look closely and pause the video right when the shooter puts the buttstock in his shoulder you can see what ocabj is talking about. The guy in the video has his sling too low on the arm. It should be higher up like 30cal shows in his picture above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5msQt9zzNA

S5msQt9zzNA

Army GI
10-11-2009, 2:13 PM
Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate it very much.

dchang0
10-11-2009, 4:27 PM
Head on down to the next Appleseed event (next weekend--there's likely one in your area) to get some in-person instruction and spotting.

If you're twitching, most likely you are "muscling it into position" in some way rather than relaxing into the sling and "letting the sling do the work for you." I tend to hold my rifle too high in prone, getting up too high on my elbows, which introduces twitch. Getting lower and settling forward into the sling removes all of that twitch.

Army GI
10-11-2009, 4:43 PM
Head on down to the next Appleseed event (next weekend--there's likely one in your area) to get some in-person instruction and spotting.

If you're twitching, most likely you are "muscling it into position" in some way rather than relaxing into the sling and "letting the sling do the work for you." I tend to hold my rifle too high in prone, getting up too high on my elbows, which introduces twitch. Getting lower and settling forward into the sling removes all of that twitch.

I've read about that event, actually! It was in a brochure at Sports Authority, I think I'll go check it out because I like the whole premise of the idea.

And thanks for that tip, I actually do get really high up on my elbows. I should try a lower position and see how that works, thanks!