PDA

View Full Version : clear this up for me would you...

IrishPirate
10-10-2009, 1:01 PM
...just want to make sure I'm not missing something. I have pre-ban 30rd ar-15 mags that my grandfather bought for me when he found out about the impending ban. I recently aquired a kel-tec su16 that accepts ar15 mags. the gun has no "evil" features, but does have a standard mag release. it does fold up, but takes the trigger machanism with it to make it CA legal. However, i'm worried that this feature might make it illegal for me to use my 30rd mags. As far as i can tell from my research, it should be ok...but if anyone else out there knows something i don't, i'd appreciate learning about it and keeping myself out of trouble. thanks.

ps. don't want to convert them to 10/30s either because i'd probably destroy them, and that defeats the purpose of 30rd mags anyways

technique
10-10-2009, 1:11 PM
use em in the keltec...its legal.

CSACANNONEER
10-10-2009, 1:12 PM
You're GTG! The only concern I have with 30 rounders in a SU-16 is that the barrel heats up rather quickly and, if you have an early model, the plastic front sight will get soft and twist off the barrel. If you don't do mag dumps with it, you'll be fine.

ArticleTheFourth
10-14-2009, 1:41 PM
So is this kel-tec su16 not a part of the whole 2000 law on 'assault weapons' and it is not considered the same as an 'OLL' AR type rifle?

technique
10-14-2009, 1:46 PM
So is this kel-tec su16 not a part of the whole 2000 law on 'assault weapons' and it is not considered the same as an 'OLL' AR type rifle?

Its not banned but there is a SU16CA specific model...its a featureless type rifle, it has none of the evil features making it an AW. Its not considered an OLL type.

WeekendWarrior
10-14-2009, 2:21 PM
WWRTW

swerv512
10-14-2009, 3:13 PM
Happy Shootin!

jasonnorcal
10-14-2009, 6:08 PM
Go nuts!:gunsmilie:

ArticleTheFourth
10-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Its not banned but there is a SU16CA specific model...its a featureless type rifle, it has none of the evil features making it an AW. Its not considered an OLL type.

A folding stock is not an evil feature?
:D

jrr
10-15-2009, 12:45 PM
a folding stock is an evil feature. But since the SU can't be fired while it is folded it is not actually a "folding stock", rather it is a folding rifle. There are models of SU-16 that CAN fire when folded, and those are no good in CA. But the SU-16CA is specifically designed to have the improvement of the later models, without the CA banned folding stock feature. In fact somewhere in this site is a letter from the DOJ saying basically that the folding stock language didn't apply to the SU-16

MasterYong
10-15-2009, 1:06 PM
I'm always absolutely amazed at the number of people whose grandfathers bought them high-cap mags before the ban that had the forethought to know that by the letter of the law possession would not be made illegal.

Just amazed.

technique
10-15-2009, 1:12 PM
I'm always absolutely amazed at the number of people whose grandfathers bought them high-cap mags before the ban that had the forethought to know that by the letter of the law possession would not be made illegal.

Just amazed.

Well they weren't gonna come take em from you... I think its(was) easy to see that possession would not be illegal. Before the ban just about everyone owned them.

redcliff
10-15-2009, 1:43 PM
Nothing Amazing about it at all. Believe it or not we were able to read the law before it went into effect.

You should of seen the mass buying of "high capacity" magazines and the prices they were going for.

Dangerpin
10-15-2009, 2:15 PM
If you come from a family of gun lovers having a few GI AR mags floating around the house is a pretty darn normal thing. I have some that I will probably never use as I really don't care for featureless builds but they wait patiently if I ever change my mind.

You have to also realize that before the high-cap madness you could easily find piles of them for only a few dollars each.

ArticleTheFourth
10-15-2009, 3:26 PM
a folding stock is an evil feature. But since the SU can't be fired while it is folded it is not actually a "folding stock", rather it is a folding rifle. There are models of SU-16 that CAN fire when folded, and those are no good in CA. But the SU-16CA is specifically designed to have the improvement of the later models, without the CA banned folding stock feature. In fact somewhere in this site is a letter from the DOJ saying basically that the folding stock language didn't apply to the SU-16

Thanks for the clarification; I'd sure like to see a copy of that DOJ letter.

thebrassnuckles
12-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the clarification; I'd sure like to see a copy of that DOJ letter.

do you think that a takedown lever action rifle is a sbr too? cause when its taken down the barrel is 0" long.
:rolleyes:

Lancear15
12-22-2009, 10:20 AM

Just amazed.

I'm amazed that people who didn't plan ahead are amazed by those who did.

WeekendWarrior
12-22-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm amazed that people who didn't plan ahead are amazed by those who did.

:D:D:D:D Agreed Fully.