PDA

View Full Version : Colt SAA Stuck Cylinder

sspen003
10-10-2009, 11:12 AM
My buddy and I were shooting yesterday and he brought an .38 SAA with him

All I can say is sweet shooting gun, but after he shot it for a while the cylinder became stuck and wouldnt spin. Hes taking it to a gunsmith later this week, but I thought I could save him the trip.

All the rounds have been fired so there is no live ammo in the gun and he just told be he took the cylinder out but it still locked up when he put it back in.

Any ideas? This is really weird. I have never had a problem with revolvers before

tuolumnejim
10-10-2009, 11:20 AM
First how old is this revolver (black powder frame)? Were you guys shooting hot rounds? It sounds like the cylinder swelled from a hot round, check your emptys to look for signs of ruptures.

sspen003
10-10-2009, 11:27 AM
He has no idea how old the gun is. It was his grandfathers pistol. The ammo were reloads from ammo bros so I hope they were not hot. Just kinda sucks because that gun was fun to shoot.

Air
10-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Well, I don't think you can remove the cylinder without the gun being in half cock, and he probably can't do that if the cylinder is stuck. I guess I would just suggest trying to remove the cylinder and re-install it?

sspen003
10-10-2009, 12:08 PM
It half cocks but thats all and the cylinder moves about a quarter inch maybe less.

He already took the cylinder out and reinstalled it but it still wont rotate

sierrawoodsman
10-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Look at the forcing cone and see if there is a build up of lead, It may be something that a good cleaning could fix. Also I hope that it was not a black powder gun that has now been damaged.

Beelzy
10-10-2009, 2:02 PM
I for one would NEVER shoot reloads or hot factory ammo in a Colt SAA.

Sounds like he bent the cylinder rod.

sspen003
10-10-2009, 2:49 PM
I for one would NEVER shoot reloads or hot factory ammo in a Colt SAA.

Sounds like he bent the cylinder rod.

Yeah that makes perfect sense now. Neither of us know much about single action revolvers. Ill find out whats wrong from him when he takes it to a gunsmith.

Damn I feel bad.