PDA

View Full Version : PSL = POS

pottymouth310
10-10-2009, 7:53 AM
I have a "friend" who lives in AZ who let me shoot his Romanian PSL 7.62x54R.
As I set up for the shot, I pull up the slack on the trigger & stop just before the break. When I slowly squeeze the trigger it will shoot 3,4,6 round off like full auto until I let off the trigger. In order to shoot 1 round at a time I have to trigger slap it (which isn't ideal if you what to do precision shooting).:29:

What is causing this?
And can this be fixed?
Have any other PSL owners come across this problem?
:shrug:

69Mach1
10-10-2009, 7:55 AM
Yikes. Have your friend check to make sure the FCG pins are installed properly and locked into place with the retainer. Is it the stock fire control group? Any modifications on the FCG itself?

sd1023x
10-10-2009, 7:55 AM
Friend=idiot

pacrimguru
10-10-2009, 7:57 AM
Friend=idiot

yea, that guy must be an idiot! :eek:

Ford8N
10-10-2009, 7:59 AM
Tapco G2

;)

pottymouth310
10-10-2009, 8:04 AM
Friend=idiot
Now why would he be the idiot? it's not like he setup the gun to be that way?

ChrisO
10-10-2009, 8:31 AM
It almost sounds like he did haha, "hold down the trigger full auto, slap it=single shot"

CSACANNONEER
10-10-2009, 8:39 AM
Sounds like you are bumpfiring it. I would suggest trying a different FCG first.

pacrimguru
10-10-2009, 8:40 AM
i would sugget getting a new trigger finger. juuuust kidding.

Jonathan Doe
10-10-2009, 9:30 AM
What is causing this?
And can this be fixed?

The parts are maybe worn out, or your friend tried to do a trigger job and made a mistake taking out too much material.

My PSL shoots well. I still need to sight in with the scope, but it shoot with iron sights very well although the trigger is a little rough.

B Strong
10-10-2009, 9:41 AM
I have a "friend" who lives in AZ who let me shoot his Romanian PSL 7.62x54R.
As I set up for the shot, I pull up the slack on the trigger & stop just before the break. When I slowly squeeze the trigger it will shoot 3,4,6 round off like full auto until I let off the trigger. In order to shoot 1 round at a time I have to trigger slap it (which isn't ideal if you what to do precision shooting).:29:

What is causing this?
And can this be fixed?

Tell your friend to strip the FCG out of that PSL RFN!

Malfunction or no malfunction, if the thing fires more than one round for one trigger pull you need to make an immediate effort to correct the problem.

If the rifle is stripped to the bare receiver, your friend will at least be clear of a possible state or federal unregistered NFA charge, and that's the most important task at hand.

After the rifle is stripped, I'd look at replacing the FCG with US parts - if you or your friend is not up to the job I recommend that you ship it it a qualified AK armorer.

Hoop
10-10-2009, 10:36 AM

Malfunction or no malfunction, if the thing fires more than one round for one trigger pull you need to make an immediate effort to correct the problem.

If the rifle is stripped to the bare receiver, your friend will at least be clear of a possible state or federal unregistered NFA charge, and that's the most important task at hand.

After the rifle is stripped, I'd look at replacing the FCG with US parts - if you or your friend is not up to the job I recommend that you ship it it a qualified AK armorer.

Agreed, all he needs to do is have someone see that at a range and call the cops. Full auto fire, even by malfunction, can still make it a machinegun.

CHS
10-10-2009, 10:38 AM
(which isn't ideal if you what to do precision shooting)

Neither are PSL's ;)

pottymouth310
10-10-2009, 10:55 AM

Agreed to that. after that we can inspect the FCG for whats causing the problem.

Tapco G2 sounds like it will do the trick, will that fit in the PSL as well? receiver should be the same right?

Hoop
10-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Agreed to that. after that we can inspect the FCG for whats causing the problem.

Tapco G2 sounds like it will do the trick, will that fit in the PSL as well? receiver should be the same right?

There are some subtle differences, if you read around I think people had to file something etc. Red Star Arms makes an adjustable trigger for it (again, think there's some fitment required) that everyone seems to like as well.

69Mach1
10-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Same fire control group. Do a quick function test to make sure the disconnector is engaging the hammer. And make sure the pins are in properly.

Hoop
10-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Neither are PSL's ;)

Naw but they are fun fun fun ;)

Hoop
10-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Same fire control group.

Are you sure? I was told they would have to be modified to work with the safety lever or something.

oaklander
10-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Here is my post from another thread on the topic:

There are two ways that an AK trigger can malfunction:

1) you can get classic hammer follow:

This is easy to check (MAKE SURE YOUR RIFLE IS NOT LOADED AND IS POINTED IN "SAFE" DIRECTION) - just hold the trigger down and work the bolt back and forth using the charging handle. Do it with the top over off. The hammer should STAY BACK - it should not "follow" the bolt carrier.

2) you can get a more subtle problem - this is what I think happened here:

If you do the test as above and the hammer stays back (does not follow the bolt), you MIGHT think you are OK. You aren't. There's another possible failure mode. . .

To test - take the top cover off - make sure the rifle is not loaded and pointed in "safe" direction. Hold the trigger and work the bolt carrier back and forth using the charging handle (like above). The hammer should stay back. NOW , with with the hammer "back" - VERY SLOWLY let go of the trigger. The trigger should reset and the hammer should stay back. If the hammer doesn't stay back when you let go of the trigger, you have a very dangerous and illegal gun.

If you FAIL this test (or the previous one) - immediately take the rifle to someone who knows how to fix this. It's an easy fix and involves a little file or dremel work. I'm not going to say exactly how to do it, since invariably someone will do it wrong and make their rifle even MORE dangerous. Let's just say it involves changing the angle at which two parts meet.

oaklander
10-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Here is another post with more detail. TELL YOUR FRIEND NOT TO TRY THIS UNLESS HE UNDERSTANDS WHAT HE IS DOING. AS THE GUN SITS NOW, IT IS ILLEGAL, AND HE SHOULD EITHER FIX IT ASAP OR COMPLETELY TAKE OUT THE FCG.

EDIT - if the fixes above don't work - try this. . .

Good thing you function-checked!!! This is very unsafe!!!

The fix is easy.

Two things hold the hammer:

When the trigger is held back - the disconnector holds the hammer.

This is working on your gun.

When you slowly release the trigger - then the hook(s) on the trigger "take over" and are supposed to hold the hammer.

This isn't working because the distance between the disconnector and the trigger hooks is too "far" - thus allowing the hammer to "fall" between the gap.

You need to narrow this gap.

The disconnector angle needs to be changed to narrow this gap.

You need to make the disconnector closer to the trigger hooks.

Take a look at the pic below - you see that if you file off some metal from where the BOTTOM of the disconnector touches the trigger - it will increase its angle, thus narrowing the distance.

PLEASE DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOU COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I AM NOT A GUNSMITH. IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND - TAKE IT TO A GUNSMITH!

This should work.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r290/PA_Rifleman/AK%20trigger%20fix/01.jpg

saki302
10-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Sounds like someone tried to do a trigger job and removed too much material. It can probably be repaired, but I suggest a professional do it for 'him'.

Other option is to replace with a G2 or other drop-in. I believe any AK trigger will work, just recycle the PSL safety.

-Dave

pottymouth310
10-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Wow...! this is perfect!
thanks Oaklander, 69 March1, and the rest of you calgunners! I've forward this thread to my friend & he was totally stoked & relieved with your response and advise. The gun is already apart & changing or filing the FCG should to the trick...:D

oaklander
10-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Excellent!

Wow...! this is perfect!
thanks Oaklander, 69 March1, and the rest of you calgunners! I've forward this thread to my friend & he was totally stoked & relieved with your response and advise. The gun is already apart & changing or filing the FCG should to the trick...:D

reidnez
10-11-2009, 9:36 AM
Wow...! this is perfect!

That is a good thing. The last thing anyone needs is a visit from the friendly folks of BATFE ;)