PDA

View Full Version : Wow looks like American made AK's are here..?

Steve O
10-10-2009, 1:08 AM
$429.95 Romanian AK-47 GP75 7.62x39 American Made Receiver & Barrel

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/c/rifle-sale/p/romanian-ak-47-gp75-7-62x39-american-made-receiver-barrel/cPath/486/products_id/2128?osCsid=79557455e51a7a4f0561e71b9eabc9e1

Ok, I know it's not 100% American made...but at this price why even finish my kits? This is essentially last years kit price plus 100 or so??.....

SJgunguy24
10-10-2009, 1:58 AM
Those are Century romy kit builds.
I think my garage has better Q.C. then Century does.
I'll build my own.
I think i'd buy and convert a Saiga before i'll buy a Century kit build.

JeffM
10-10-2009, 2:21 AM
I'll build my own.

Agreed

Noonanda
10-10-2009, 6:55 AM
Why buy a gun of questionable quality made by a company with a track record for putting out crap that you will most likely need to use their warranty, when you can build one yourself, cause then weather the build is good or junk is on you.

StevieC
10-10-2009, 6:59 AM
Why buy a gun of questionable quality made by a company with a track record for putting out crap that you will most likely need to use their warranty, when you can build one yourself, cause then weather the build is good or junk is on you.

that's exactly why I'm buying their's :D

pacrimguru
10-10-2009, 7:51 AM
Lancaster does the same thing but MUCH better. US made receivers and chrome lined barrels.

B Strong
10-10-2009, 8:31 AM
I'll build my own.

+1000

Century QC consists of looking at the piece from 20' away, and if it looks like a gun, they ship it.

SJgunguy24
10-10-2009, 8:49 AM
+1000

Century QC consists of looking at the piece from 20' away, and if it looks like a gun, they ship it.

Through coke bottle glasses.

B Strong
10-10-2009, 8:52 AM
Through coke bottle glasses.

LOL! I'm pretty sure they use retired MLB umpires.

Henry Hill
10-10-2009, 9:07 AM
What company is Century? The maker of the Receiver?

CHS
10-10-2009, 9:40 AM
You people realize that you're talking about AK's, right?

QC? Who cares?!

The worst thing that could happen with an AK is that it keeps shooting reliably and inaccurately.

Frijolito1988
10-10-2009, 9:41 AM
You people realize that you're talking about AK's, right?

QC? Who cares?!

The worst thing that could happen with an AK is that it keeps shooting reliably and inaccurately.

1 word with US barrels..keyholing and CAI is known for that.

SJgunguy24
10-10-2009, 11:11 AM

I trust myself more than i'll trust what/whoever they have building those things.
If it's a P.O.S. then I have nobody but myself to blame.

that's exactly why I'm buying their's :D
You've been warned if you get one that's a P.O.S. Get a Saiga and convert it. Better rifle I.M.O. than most of Century's AK builds.

What company is Century? The maker of the Receiver?
They import firearms and build firearms from imported kits.
C.A.I. is notorius for poor quality control, canted gas blocks and front sights.
Barrels that keyhole right out of the box. Trigger slap issues.

Steve O
10-10-2009, 1:42 PM
ohhh... "imported by CAI." i didn't catch that... sorry guys.

supermario
10-10-2009, 5:56 PM
I thought the century Yugo M70 AB2 were built good. I held one and it looked well built? What am i missing??

Jpach
10-10-2009, 6:16 PM
Ive had a Yugo M70B2 and I have a Golani. I love/loved both of them. My Yugo never gave me problems and was just absolutely awesome. I only sold it to get the Golani. The Golani is absolutely beautiful and has given me no problems so far. Its one of my go-to guns. The only thing I dont like about the Golani is that we cant use the Galil side scope mounts.

BTW, does anyone have any idea of how we can mount an optic towards the rear of a Golani? My Golani would absolutely destroy if it had a red dot on it.

technique
10-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Anything Century is hit or miss....that is a proven fact on any board.

joelukehart
10-11-2009, 12:15 AM
I would love a 100% American made Russian Dragunov or Tiger. Someone should step up to the plate like JLD Ent. did with the PTR-91. I can still dream, right?

NeoWeird
10-11-2009, 12:29 AM
I would love a 100% American made Russian Dragunov or Tiger. Someone should step up to the plate like JLD Ent. did with the PTR-91. I can still dream, right?

With JLD stepping up with a StG44 clone, I doubt they will want to tie their hands, and funds, up in anything else until that side of their business stabilizes and carries itself.

Besides, since JLD is more a firearms leader in STAMPED firearms, I'd imagine you'd be far more likely to see something milled like the Drag/Tig coming from ORF or some special collaboration like Firing Line did. Now the importation ban was/is with Russia/USSR. Bulgaria has NOTHING to do with it (as far as I know), so Arsenal COULD be a possability too.

Napalm Bulldog
10-11-2009, 9:57 AM
Lancaster does the same thing but MUCH better. US made receivers and chrome lined barrels.

Yeah if you can ever get your rifle from them. Sent mine back due to non matching serial numbers and still nothing!:mad:

Steve O
10-11-2009, 7:12 PM
So are theses Century WASR'S?

I have a Century WASR-10, doesn't have the mag well dimple, looks like a single to double stack conversion.
I notice these receivers looks like they were originally double stack...says they are made in USA, so what makes these Century rifles different then the WASR's i have?

Shane916
10-11-2009, 9:36 PM
So are theses Century WASR'S?

I have a Century WASR-10, doesn't have the mag well dimple, looks like a single to double stack conversion.
I notice these receivers looks like they were originally double stack...says they are made in USA, so what makes these Century rifles different then the WASR's i have?

You nailed that one :)

lomalinda
10-11-2009, 11:27 PM
What manufacturer does the receiver? I thought that it was Nodak or DCI. If so, would either of them be cut to accept single-stack magazines in the first place?

SJgunguy24
10-11-2009, 11:47 PM
What manufacturer does the receiver? I thought that it was Nodak or DCI. If so, would either of them be cut to accept single-stack magazines in the first place?

Not sure who make the receiver. NoDak and D.C.I. are the same company. The single stack rifles IIRC are imported as such so they're not USA manufactured.

larryh
10-12-2009, 12:17 AM
$500+(400 rds)$100 and you will know if it was a good deal or not.
Love it or not.
Every citizen needs at least one.
That and a good pistol.

69Mach1
10-12-2009, 12:35 AM
Not sure who make the receiver. NoDak and D.C.I. are the same company. The single stack rifles IIRC are imported as such so they're not USA manufactured.

I heard that they are now two different companies from an FFL dealer. They went their separate ways less than a year ago.

Steve O
10-12-2009, 7:47 AM
OK i think i get it. Century imported the WASR's as complete rifle, marked the receivers, and converted them to double stack and sold them.

These Century rifles are built from kits using NDS or D.C.I. receivers, but still are Century rifles? Why not just continue to import them complete? Import laws making it hard? Easier to just ship kits and manufacture them in the USA now?

Josh3239
10-12-2009, 1:33 PM
NDS or D.C.I. receivers

Same thing.

Steve O
10-12-2009, 2:18 PM
Honestly my WASR's were of good quality. love them, epically because i got them for 250 each years ago. This new Century rifle looks good.

offrdmania
10-12-2009, 3:01 PM
I have had quite a few issues with Century rifles but none that I couldnt fix in my garage with simple tools.

lomalinda
10-12-2009, 3:22 PM
I've got one of their Yugo M70AB2 clones. Here's a link where someone reviewed theirs:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-175828.html

In general, he stated that the receiver was 1.6 mm thick, which is typical for this type of gun. While there were some aesthetic issues that were mentioned, the gun was pretty good and worth $470. I paid a bit more for mine but the review is from 2006, so no surprise there.

This is the only Century gun that I own, and from the little that I've seen to do with it, it's not a bad piece of machinery at all.

lomalinda
10-12-2009, 3:50 PM
For those interested, I just got off the phone with Harlen, who confirmed the that the Century M70AB2 receiver is thicker than the normal NDS receiver. To be precise, he quoted me "1.57 mm thick."