PDA

View Full Version : Witness identifies revolver found at the Dublin home of homicide -

Saigon1965
10-09-2009, 11:00 PM
This from the murder case in Dublin -

http://www.insidebayarea.com/news/ci_13516804

OAKLAND A witness has positively identified a revolver found at the Dublin home of homicide victim Selma Hill as one he sold to two women at a Reno gun show last year.

In Superior Court on Thursday, at the preliminary hearing for three suspects charged in connection with Hill's death, Robert Spellacy of Reno described the 84-year-old gun as nearly one of a kind.

"Yes this is the gun I sold, without a doubt," Spellacy said after being shown the small .32-caliber Iver Johnson handgun.

Spellacy recognized the gun, but couldn't positively identify the women who bought it. He said two Asian women a woman in her 50s who spoke accented English, and another in her late 20s came to the booth where he worked at the October 2008 show looking for a gun.

Rosa Hill, 34, of Oakland, and her mother Mei Li, 56, have been charged with the Jan. 7 killing of Hill, 91, and the attempted murder of Hill's grandson, Eric Hill, the estranged husband of Rosa Hill. Investigators say the women were trying to take away the 2-year-old daughter of Eric and Rosa Hill, of whom Eric Hill has legal custody.

Ping Li, 68, Mei Li's husband and Rosa Hill's father, has been charged with being an accessory after the fact. The Lis are residents of Antioch.

Spellacy said the women paid $200 cash for the gun. Made in 1925 and in mint condition, Spellacy said it would be hard to find another like it.

"It's just a beautiful little gun," Spellacy said.

The firearm was from Spellacy's private collection and he wasn't required to check identification or do a background check.

He said the women looked at another gun, one from his friend's gun shop, that required identification and a background check for its sale.

The older woman told him that she could do not do that, Spellacy said.

Selma Hill's badly bruised body, her hair still in curlers, was found dead inside a garbage can outside her home on Peppertree Road on Oct. 7. Eric Hill told police he arrived home with his daughter and when he could not find his grandmother he went upstairs and was surprised by his estranged wife, who threatened him with a gun, and Mei Li, who hit him in the head with a baton.

Dr. Thomas Rogers, who performed Selma Hill's autopsy, testified earlier that she died of asphyxiation due to strangulation associated with multiple blunt force injuries. Among the bruises on her body he found injuries that could have been caused by a Taser, he said.

Also Thursday, Dublin Deputy Mitchell Mensinger testified he found Mei Li upstairs in Selma Hill's home with blood on her face and a stun gun in her pocket.

Dublin police said they found Tasers, stun guns, the revolver, a baton, rope, handcuffs, gloves and duct tape at the crime scene.

G-Man WC
10-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Very sad for everyone involved. Why not just pick up a baseball bat for christ sake. Giving us law abiding gun owners a bad name, again.
One of a kind gun and it cost.....$200?
Yea
-g

thempopresense
10-10-2009, 8:27 AM
so the guy was told by the buyer that a background check couldn't be run, and he sold it anyway. Did the suspects have NV ID?

sorensen440
10-10-2009, 8:30 AM
If I am understanding this correctly the gun wasnt fired ?

Saigon1965
10-10-2009, 8:51 AM
Victim died from strangulation - Gun was found at the crime scene -

The women looked at another shop at guns that would required check but opted to buy from the C&R dealer with no background check -

6172crew
10-10-2009, 9:05 AM
so the guy was told by the buyer that a background check couldn't be run, and he sold it anyway. Did the suspects have NV ID?

There isnt any requirements for the seller, other than they have to think the person buying is a NV resident. Ive sold many firearms at the BRS and one guy mentioned he was from CA which I told him I couldnt help him unless he wanted to use an FFL in CA.

NV law makers get together 2 times a year and that is why the laws pretty much stay the same, they dont have an endless budget to make laws like they do in CA.

Asking a NV resident to get rid of PPT at fun shows wouldnt go over really well, but if you asked them to ban CA residents from the shows they would be all over that.;)

In NV class 3 goods can be sold without a FFL. (After the ATF assigns the stamp and the class 3 C&R can go right to the new owner). ALthough I was told both guys would have to be a C&R dealer I have seen it done without the new guy having the license.

When I first started buying firearms in NV I was told that if I had a CCW I wouldnt have to do the background check (sign me up!) but that only lasted less than a year before the ATF said the state cant play it that way.

Im pretty sure we will only hear about all the bad PPT going on in NV and other states but Id say the mojority of them are done without breaking any laws.

loather
10-10-2009, 9:24 AM
NV law makers get together 2 times a year and that is why the laws pretty much stay the same, they dont have an endless budget to make laws like they do in CA.

If only California could take some cues from our neighbouring states ...

advocatusdiaboli
10-10-2009, 12:38 PM
If I am understanding this correctly the gun wasnt fired ?

That would be my understanding for what I have read as well. However, they did threaten Mr. Hill with the pistol though. No mention as to why the older woman wouldn't pass a background check--it might be interesting to find out why. The seller was irresponsible and his selfish greed has put yet another arrow in the quiver of those who want to restrict or eliminate our ownership of firearms. I am starting to believe that gun show transaction need to regulated exactly the same as gun shop sales. By fighting it, we are feeding stories like this to our opponents who can and will use them against us. You cannot make this stuff up any better for the anti-firearm crowd except if the pistol was fired and the shooter wounded or killed someone.