PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbine

TonyMang_89
10-09-2009, 8:55 PM
what do you guys think about this rifle as a survival/combat rifle.
i really like the ar type's but i already own the m1 and its a good shooter and reliable

any input/info appreciated

NeoWeird
10-09-2009, 9:00 PM
This has been covered several times already. I believe one that went relatively in depth on the subject was in regards to the movie 'The Postman' and the M1 being the ideal "post-apocalyptic" weapon. Search for either of those and you should find it.

That said and without going too in depth on it, I personally think it fits the characteristics of the ideal survival weapon to a 'T', with it's only short comings being it's relative scarcity of ammo. If it were in a NATO caliber or something you could find EVERYWHERE, like .30-06, then I'd be far more inclined to say it's perfect.

You wouldn't go wrong with it... until you ran out of ammo...

Josh3239
10-09-2009, 9:03 PM
.30 carbine isn't easy to find. Keep in mind it was put into service with the idea of a weapon for the rear echelon that needed to defend themselves but something with more "umph" that a handgun. Great rifle, one of my favs. Great for home defense especially in CA because you get the whole detachable magazines. Probably good enough for survival. Are there better choices for SHTF? Plenty.

RolinThundr
10-09-2009, 9:08 PM
Maybe stock up on .30 carbine ammo as much as you can and use it as a last resort, you've run out of everything else gun.

campperrykid
10-10-2009, 7:12 AM
Sources for .30 M1 Carbine ammo:
www.thecmp.org

www.georgia-arms.com

Info on the use of the M1 Carbine as a PDW is available at m4carbine (dot ) net in the terminal Ballistics Info section.
Hope this helps..

ChrisO
10-10-2009, 7:26 AM
Personally I think the M1 carbine is more than Ideal for a PDW/Close combat weapon, Uber reliable,very short and handy,points naturally,and more than accurate enough. 30 carbine ammo is hard to find but I would stock up as much as I can,I will be getting another M1 carbine when funds permit adding a ultimak rail and aimpoint T1 very effective close combat gun.

GrizzlyGuy
10-10-2009, 7:32 AM
It's my favorite for short and medium range SHTF duty (with handgun only for ultra-short range or backup). Reliable, light, easy to handle even in home defense scenarios.

Since it doesn't look as evil or threatening as an EBR or OLL, it would be less likely to get attention during a period leading up to SHTF when law enforcement might decide to confiscate weapons (ex: Katrina). Suspicious neighbors would be less likely to report you for carrying something that looks like a .22 than something that looks like a full-blown battle rifle.

The only issue is ammo supply. There are plenty of sources for ammo now, but what about after SHTF? .223 will be easier to find and better for barter. More on the ammo issue here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=36390

paratroop
10-10-2009, 7:33 AM
Sources for .30 M1 Carbine ammo:
www.thecmp.org..

cmp stopped taking orders of .30 carbine as of the 22nd of sept, as well as.22lr. and a week later stopped taking orders for 30-06. just for your info.

rjf
10-10-2009, 7:58 AM
A comparable alternative to the M1 Carbine would be the Ruger Mini 14 in .223 or 762X39. Depends on how much ammo you have and how much you think you need.

Jonathan Doe
10-10-2009, 8:26 AM
I think M-1 Carbine is one of the most underrated firearms. I like my 30 Carbine and it will do the job that I need it for. Just get some ammo and be good with it.

B Strong
10-10-2009, 8:58 AM
what do you guys think about this rifle as a survival/combat rifle.
i really like the ar type's but i already own the m1 and its a good shooter and reliable

any input/info appreciated

My father's opinion was that the Carbine was a nice thing to have if you couldn't get your hands on a rifle.

He hated the things from Korea.

They were always in the house as a kid, but just as plinkers.

My advice would be to buy or have built an M1 Garand "Tanker" in 7.62.

Same approximate size as a Carbine, better reliablity, better round, easier found.

13Delta
10-10-2009, 9:01 AM
i have one and i love it, have about 1,000 rounds for it. and like stated above it is'nt threatening, another good option would be a Ruger 44 Manum Carbine but thats another thread. i say get both(m1 carbine & a OLL).

ChrisO
10-10-2009, 9:07 AM
The OP already has a M1 carbine and is not looking to get something else right now I believe, My advice is practice with what you got. I know a vet from korea who was not to fond of the carbine because it didn't do as well in the extreme cold but take care of you're weapon and it will take care of you, We will not be in any jungle warfare here so it will serve you well.

campperrykid
10-10-2009, 9:12 AM
cmp stopped taking orders of .30 carbine as of the 22nd of sept, as well as.22lr. and a week later stopped taking orders for 30-06. just for your info.

They do that from time to time.

mls343
10-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Get it, you will not be disappointed.

NRAhighpowershooter
10-10-2009, 11:02 AM
I don't like 'em one bit.........:p
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd88/highpowershooter/Firearms/M1CarbineCollection.jpg

Beelzy
10-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Great guns.....just don't hip shoot unless you are wearing shooting glasses.

(CMP quit taking orders because they sold all 64 million rounds of .06 already!)

Harley Quinn
10-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Great guns.....just don't hip shoot unless you are wearing shooting glasses.

(CMP quit taking orders because they sold all 64 million rounds of .06 already!)

Yes, and keep mouth closed:eek:

cudakidd
10-10-2009, 2:20 PM
I have two, wifes is a IMI with ultimak rail and red dot...mine is original all standard inland model, 30 plus mags, 2000 rounds of factory Aguila 110 fmj via CMP.

Everyone, EVERYONE, get ahead of the various primer, powder, ammo shortages and get into reloading!!

Remember that brass you leave at the range is just more fun waiting to be "refilled" by someone else!