PDA

View Full Version : Lasers on AR's

Afterburnt
10-09-2009, 9:09 PM
Do you folks put laser pointers on you Rifles/Carbines? If so which ones do you like? I am thinking about putting one on my new set up, hell I got everything else on it.

technique
10-09-2009, 9:26 PM
No, I never really did...I had a Pentagon light/laser combo...I swapped to just a light. Lasers are only so good, they will only be on target at a set distance and then back on target waaaaaaay out there....I find I am slower trying to point a laser and faster with a sight.

Everyone id different.

fliparch
10-09-2009, 9:32 PM
Thought of putting a laser but decided against it. My rifle only goes to the range and at home for HD but if a BG pops up at home, I'd probably grab my pistol first rather than my rifle. I use my scope and my iron sights at the range.

I do want to put a laser on my pistol.

sevensix2x51
10-09-2009, 9:54 PM
i stick with a surefire and a handgun that points like my finger for hd... keep it simple... mainly because im worried the evil ninjas are quiet enough to not wake me up, and get to a rifle/shotgun that doesnt fit under my pillow. then they can just shoot me in the face while im sleeping. i figure if they have to move my head to get to my weapon, im more likely to wake up before they can get at it. then i can use my gung fu skills to rip their innards out. :D

but to answer your question, i dont really believe in lasers. they just show the guy in the next lane how bad you pull the weapon with your shoddy trigger pull.

tomd1584
10-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Do you folks put laser pointers on you Rifles/Carbines? If so which ones do you like? I am thinking about putting one on my new set up, hell I got everything else on it.

if you got everything else on it, sure what the hell. :cool2:

reidnez
10-09-2009, 10:14 PM
They're of limited utility on a longarm, in my opinion. A 1x optic is just as fast to acquire, with training, and gives you a lot more capability--it doesn't project light onto your target, doesn't become near-worthless in daytime, useful to as far a range as the operator has skill to use it at...the list goes on.

Now, would I put a laser/light on a sidearm? Absolutely.

strangerdude
10-09-2009, 10:22 PM
What's "everything" else?

reidnez
10-09-2009, 10:27 PM

My rule is that when your 5.56 carbine weighs more than an M1 Garand, you have gone way too far. :p

It would be funny if I didn't see it so often.

tomd1584
10-09-2009, 10:29 PM
My rule is that when your 5.56 carbine weighs more than an M1 Garand, you have gone way too far. :p

It would be funny if I didn't see it so often.

lol. the best part is, a guy posts a picture. "hey look at my new rifle i just finished building. it has all the best parts, i'm taking it out tomorrow for the first time........how do you zero an aimpoint?" :eek:

This was in no way directed to the OP, rather a general 'observation'

Frijolito1988
10-09-2009, 10:36 PM
lol. the best part is, a guy posts a picture. "hey look at my new rifle i just finished building. it has all the best parts, i'm taking it out tomorrow for the first time........how do you zero an aimpoint?" :eek:

This was in no way directed to the OP, rather a general 'observation'

Sadly , welcome to calguns. Where Tacticool lives :eek:

strangerdude
10-09-2009, 10:41 PM
I say there is nothing more reliable than irons, that's all i have.

StevieC
10-09-2009, 10:46 PM
I use one on my air rifle for shooting rabbits in the dark :D

operationblackwater
10-09-2009, 10:47 PM
I say there is nothing more reliable than irons, that's all i have.

It all depends, Believe me, in combat your acog and aimpoint are your weapons best friends.

God Bless The Mauser
10-09-2009, 11:45 PM
I found they can be usefull in the dark but not really any more so than a red dot. Would probably take about the same amount of time to aim a laser as it would to just sight the rifle. I only put things I need on my rifles which is irons, a red dot, flashlight and maybe a foreward pistol grip for a pressure switch, thats more than enough to get the job done.

badicedog
10-10-2009, 5:35 AM
I use one on my AR pistol, zero'd at 50yrds. It's an Insight Technologies MX-6 laser/light combo. It works great for me since I don't have a buttstock:65:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/mannysden/IMG_3270.jpg

Afterburnt
10-10-2009, 6:46 AM

A CTR, DD Omega, Eotech, Foward grip, Bipod, LED Light, Cigarette lighter, Swiss army knife and a Dust Buster. Maybe I dont need a laser?

Ballistic043
10-10-2009, 6:49 AM
i use the pentagon light MD3 module. it's very nice. when i mounted it on my stag 16" w/ troy carbine length rail, the laser actually didnt even need to be adjusted. kinda cool to snap on a laser and have it aim right on impact.

anyways, its nice but as others have said, it has limited uses at a predetermined range. having used both a laser and red dot sight, i would recommend the RDS (Eotech) hands down.

redcliff
10-10-2009, 7:27 AM
Visible green lasers are fun on 9mm AR's at indoor ranges :)