View Full Version : Need help-transfer of firearms from suddenly deceased godparent to me from daughter??

10-09-2009, 3:23 PM
Hi legal eagles..I need advice on where,what forms,how,etc to go about transferring firearms to me from my Godfather(more like uncle) who died suddenly from unknown (or told) medical reasons(he was apparently hiding cancer and told no one). His Daughter is going to let me know in the next couple weeks when she is ready to begin transferring her dad's firearms to me.
Question is,aside from the Death Certificate what other paperwork will the daughter need to transfer to me?? Are there forms online specific to this??

I know she could probably do it from him to her since father to daughter and can use the intrafamilial transfer paperwork and send in the papers and death cert. and get it done.
I am not sure on proceedure or 'flow' on this..does she do it to herself and THEN to me ??

thank's for any tips on what is needed or where to go and look!

10-09-2009, 3:26 PM
Since the previous owner is deceased, I would assume his daughter is now the legal owner and all you would need to do is a stardard PPT from her to you. THere's no need to complicate it.

10-09-2009, 3:31 PM

10-09-2009, 3:53 PM
Thank's cannoneer, but would she not have to complete the transfer to her name ,at least in the handguns, before transferring them to me due to the whole name /registration paperwork trail on the handguns?? I know the rifles are a nonissue and just require a PPT(no AW's but some nice stuff).
Regarding the legality or executor of his estate, he had no debt in terms of CC,mortgage,outstanding loans, etc since he paid cash for everything and did not believe in going into debt ... His daughter is his only offspring, wife gone years ago, so the only outstanding debt he would have had are the utility bills.
...smart guy and a great friend/godparent...I will miss him a lot..no more coffee and donut talks over his aerospace/rocket work,trips to mayan/incan/aztec ruins,etc,etc....

10-09-2009, 4:09 PM
It sounds like there are two separate transactions to deal with:

1) His daughter inherits from her dad. No FFL required thanks to 12078(c)(2), but the daughter still needs to file a Operation of Law or Intrafamilial Handgun Transaction Report with DOJ. This form:


2) Now that the daughter owns the firearms, you and her do a PPT the usual way, via an FFL.

Here is 12078: