PDA

View Full Version : Ca legal internal mag ARs

quagmiles
06-13-2005, 9:48 PM
Does any one have any experience with the 10 round internal fixed mag ARs. Is it worth it? If so who makes the best one, lowers that is? And would it work on the Colt SP1 uppers they sell on cdnn? And last but not least how hard is it to asemble everything? As you can tell I know nothing about these guns but would like to learn more. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

C.G.
06-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Does any one have any experience with the 10 round internal fixed mag ARs. Is it worth it? If so who makes the best one, lowers that is?
Unless you have the real thing; yes, it is. At the moment only two companies make lowers only Fab-10 and Vulcan Arms. There is a thread toward the bottom where I compare the two, you should read it, I tried my best to list pluses and minuses of each ( I own both).
And would it work on the Colt SP1 uppers they sell on cdnn?
I think you will have to buy special take-down pins or drill out take-down holes; Colts tended to have larger pins; but they will fit any other manufacturers. Technical Ted would know about the Colt, if he sees this post he may give you the right answer. Make sure CDNN will ship to California, they will not ship firearms and I think, ammo.
And last but not least how hard is it to asemble everything? As you can tell I know nothing about these guns but would like to learn more.
Not if you are mechanically inclined. To learn more go to http://www.ar15.com; there is even a step by step guide how to put your lower together.
Good Luck.

C.G.
06-13-2005, 11:29 PM
I knew that Ted would be along shortly, there's your answer on the Colt upper http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Originally posted by Technical Ted
for the newer lowers, you need to modify a stripper guide to fit around the bolt catch. Not a big deal since it's simple enough (and less bloody) to thumb rounds into the mag one at a time.

I say less bloody because invariably pressing down on the rounds in the stripper clip results in the shooter running his thumb along the sharp edges of some clips and cutting themselves.

If you have a Dremel (and you should if you mess with guns) you can modify the Midway 5.56 clip guide (mod clip guide v. 2, will post pics one of these days; v. 1 is somewhere in this forum, you can do a search for it) to fit the FAB-10 (but not the Vulcan, no gap in the magwell) into the magwell space even with the bolt catch and round off the sharp corners, where no blood is drawn and loading is sped up (still slower than changing mags, since you have to break the rifle open.
Originally posted by Technical Ted Shoeless Ventures has decided to sell only assembled lowers to prevent performance issues should inferior parts be used for completion.

I've heard that as well, furthermore, they are more difficult to get, either because the cost is higher and dealers don't think they can sell them at that price or dealers don't want to order them or Shoeless is slow in responding.

Originallly posted by Technical Ted
From what I understand, Vulcan lowers are available stripped (without internal parts or a buttstock installed) or assembled.
It is a lot easier to get the assembled version, I am not sure the cost; I prefer stripped (Vulcan $250) because then I have control over the internal parts. The only ones I would use would be Rock River, Armalite or Bushmaster, not in any particular order. On your first run it shouldn't take you more than an hour to finish it even with glancing at the guide; once you know the parts (some springs look alike) less than that. It does help, but is not necessary, to have a punch set.