PDA

View Full Version : New to Cali

Ice
05-01-2005, 7:50 PM
IM new to Cali and apparently I need to register my gun, Unless a glock 22 is illegal, in which case I actually dont own one, but say I did where do I register It and what happens if I dont. Ive been wanting to get a couple new guns. A ruger MarkIII .22 and a mini 14. What is a gun shop around Sacramento that i would be able to get a good deal on these guns. Would I get a better deal going to Reno for the mini 14. Is there a waiting period for the mini 14. I dont have a gun "safe" but i do have lockable case for my current gun, willthat suffice and would i need to buy a rifle case to buy a mini 14. Lots of question i know but any replies will help.

Ice
05-01-2005, 7:50 PM
IM new to Cali and apparently I need to register my gun, Unless a glock 22 is illegal, in which case I actually dont own one, but say I did where do I register It and what happens if I dont. Ive been wanting to get a couple new guns. A ruger MarkIII .22 and a mini 14. What is a gun shop around Sacramento that i would be able to get a good deal on these guns. Would I get a better deal going to Reno for the mini 14. Is there a waiting period for the mini 14. I dont have a gun "safe" but i do have lockable case for my current gun, willthat suffice and would i need to buy a rifle case to buy a mini 14. Lots of question i know but any replies will help.

USCG1988
05-01-2005, 8:31 PM
A G22 is legal to own in CA.

High Cap mags ?

A further Question i would also like to know is if he has high Cap mags is that legal now he is in CA. I would say yes, but i am no expert on gun laws/

USCG

bwiese
05-01-2005, 8:39 PM
Hi Ice...

OK, one thing at a time..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Im new to Cali and apparently I need to register my gun, Unless a glock 22 is illegal, in which case I actually dont own one, but say I did where do I register It and what happens if I dont. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glock 22s are not illegal. (Unless you had a rare modification to it like a threaded barrel, which'd make it an assault weapon in CA.)

Since 1 Jan 1998, people moving from out of state to CA with handguns are considered to be 'personal handgun importers'. These people have 60 days from date of entry to register their handgun with Calif. Dept of Justice (DOJ). There's a $14? ($19?) fee per handgun.

This does NOT apply to long guns, just handguns - though you cannot bring in so-called assault weapons into CA.

There's a specific provision in this handgun registration law that says if you regsister the gun late (i.e., way after the 60 day period ends) this will not be held against you (that is, you won't incriminate yourself if you file the forms!) Once you've filed the papers (send to DOJ certified mail/return receipt) you're A-OK.

DOJ reg papers at:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf

Do note that when you file this they will run your record and check for criminal background (felonies, prohibited misdemeanors, warrants, etc.)

If you are ever busted in CA for CCW without a concealed weapon permit, and the gun is not registered (that is, no "DROS record" on file) to you, since the charge is a 'wobbler', the charge will likely be placed a felony - even 1st offense. If the gun is reg'd to you and you were popped for 1st offense CCW, the charge would be a misdemeanor (unless other aggravating circumstances).

If something came up and the gun was not registered and they thought to check when you moved in vs when you got the gun, etc. you might be charged with an infraction/ misdemeanor, not sure. I'd play it safe and paper it.

As a totally separate issue, since 1 Jan 2000, it has been illegal to import high capacity magazines (those holding more than 10rds) to CA.
So even though you can bring the gun in, you can't bring its hicap mags in!

Those folks already in CA having hicaps before 1/1/00 were allowed to keep them. If you moved in after this date w/hicaps, you're not supposed to have them. Could be a misdemeanor charge (or worse?) depending upon # of mags you have.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...been wanting to get a couple new guns. A ruger MarkIII .22 and a Mini 14. What is a gun shop around Sacramento that i would be able to get a good deal on these guns. Would I get a better deal going to Reno for the Mini 14. Is there a waiting period for the mini 14.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To answer your last question first, essentially all gun sales (handgun/long gun) and transfers must go thru a licensed dealer in CA with appropriate paperwork. All of these transfers/ sales have a 10 day waiting period.

As a resident of CA, both Federal and CA law essentially prohibit you from directly buying guns out of state, whether or not you travel there. You must have the party outside CA (in Reno, for example - either a dealer or private party) ship the Mini 14 to a CA gun dealer, who will do all the CA paperwork, set up the waiting period, etc. - and who will charge his own fee. There's no legal way around this.

I have no idea of gunshops in Sacto area, others here will.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I dont have a gun "safe" but i do have lockable case for my current gun, will that suffice and would i need to buy a rifle case to buy a mini 14. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe you have to buy a certified trigger lock for each new gun you buy unless you have a regular full-blown gunsafe (and can legally attest to that) - but not sure if that's just handguns or all guns now.

For your Glock and other handguns, you should transport it unloaded and in a locked case, with no ammo in the case, from house to car, car to range, etc. and while in your car. In theory the case could be unlocked while in the trunk of your car since the trunk is a 'locked case'.

Regular shotguns & rifles (that are not assault weapons in CA) can be transported unloaded and don't have to be locked up (you can throw 'em behind the seat of your truck!).

It's a good idea to keep ammo separate, and transport mags unloaded.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

bwiese
05-01-2005, 8:43 PM
USCG...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by USCG1988:
A further Question i would also like to know is if he has high Cap mags is that legal now he is in CA. I would say yes, but i am no expert on gun laws </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends when he moved into California. If he moved here on or before 12/31/1999, and had hicap mags in his possession already, they'd be legal to retain. If he moved here on or after 1/1/2000, he could not legally bring in hicaps.

A court case, if it got that deep, could look at his activities, drivers license filings, tax filings, etc. to establish when residency began.

Remember, the hicap mag situation is completely separate from the gun. Whether or not you can bring a certain gun in is separate from bringing in the hicaps.

As far as registering the gun, if he fills out the papers now he will be OK once he does it, even if he is 6 years late.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

USCG1988
05-01-2005, 9:29 PM
thx Bill that does clear up the question.

I need to convince a friend to move back to CA so he can bring a few goodies with him.

Doute he would give up his good job to do it though http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Andy

Ice
05-01-2005, 9:37 PM
oK so just register the gun i have and evryone is happy , no i have no hi cap mags so im covered there. I need to know a good local sac dealer to check out some prices to see if i wanna try to buy out of state. Can anyone get a concealed weapons permit in cali as long as im not a felon, i heard u have to have a good reason for wanting one. I guess ill just ask the gun store what they require to leave the gun store seems to be alot of contradicting info in these forums

pogo
05-02-2005, 12:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ice:
Can anyone get a concealed weapons permit in cali as long as im not a felon, i heard u have to have a good reason for wanting one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends where you live in CA, in my county it's almost impossible. Check out your area's details and map here at http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/california

stodgman
05-05-2005, 12:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A ruger MarkIII .22 and a mini 14. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
These are popular and readily available guns at various stores in the area. Wild Sports runs and add in the local newsrag on Thursday and they often feature Mini-14s on sale. You can buy them anywhere and I would call around for the best selection/price. I always check the internet as well to validate that the local price I am paying is good.

You will need to either own a safe or purchase a trigger lock for your guns. A CCW in Sacramento County is very hard to get. If you live in the surrounding counties it is easier (some more than others).

bwiese
05-05-2005, 1:43 PM
I'd advise getting one of the new model Mini14s - 2005 production.

Ruger is using their own barrels now, and they're supposedly quite a bit more accurate than Mini14s of prior years.

Bill W
San Jose

Ice
05-09-2005, 7:10 PM
Is there a gun dealer near sacramento that has a large selection to choose from.

HeHateMe
05-09-2005, 7:59 PM
Guns and Gear has SU16s in stock. Wild Sports told me they wouldn't carry or order the SU16, but this was back in December (something about the store not wanting to stock questionable firearms, whatever that means). River City Gun exchange will either have or be able to order stuff legal in Kali. The Gun Room in Elk Grove is having a grand opening sale for their retail store on Memorial weekend.