PDA

View Full Version : OC Sheriff named in lawsuit

locosway
10-09-2009, 9:35 AM
No, not Carona... Sandra Hutchens!

This my very well be what seals her fate from running against Bill Hunt in 2010.

"The suit by veteran bondsmen Don Mehr, Bob Drake and Robert Miller was filed under federal racketeering laws and names Sheriff Sandra Hutchens and the County of Orange"

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bail-sheriff-bondsmen-2598879-jail-attorney

Theseus
10-09-2009, 9:43 AM
I believe you are over-optimistic.

This problem was apparently inherited from the previous sheriff, and there is indication that she and her staff were trying to address the issue.

locosway
10-09-2009, 9:46 AM
I may be over optimistic, but she's named as part of the suit, so it's bad publicity for her. So, in that respect I'm looking on the bright side. :)

bwiese
10-09-2009, 9:50 AM
Wonder where Kathy Lynch of CAFR stands on this?

She represents bail bonds folks in Sacto. Wonder if her clients include the aggrieved parties, or the, uh, party/parties accused of using "unconventional contractors".

vrand
10-09-2009, 10:15 AM
I may be over optimistic, but she's named as part of the suit, so it's bad publicity for her. So, in that respect I'm looking on the bright side. :)

:cheers2:

Maestro Pistolero
10-09-2009, 10:57 AM
I may be over optimistic, but she's named as part of the suit, so it's bad publicity for her. To some, perhaps, but to others, it's good publicity.

tango-52
10-09-2009, 11:23 AM
I believe you are over-optimistic.

This problem was apparently inherited from the previous sheriff, and there is indication that she and her staff were trying to address the issue.

The lawsuit says "is allowing" not "was allowing" according to the OCRegister.

nicki
10-09-2009, 11:49 AM
What this article indicates to me is that even if the Sheriff is clean:rolleyes: that fact is the Orange county sheriff department does not control the jails.

It also shows that their is a unholy relationship between the cops and organized criminal gangs in the jails.

If the gangs control the jails, what deterrent is jail?

Combine this story with the fact that the Sheriff doesn't want ordinary people carrying arms to protect themselves from criminals, need I say more.

Nicki

Shadowdrop
10-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Having worked in the jails and seen OCSD in (in)action, this article doesn't surprise me in the least. I can't even count how many Sheriffs I've seen asleep in the tower. Hell, I've caught a few of them asleep at the front desk! There is a widespread attitude of arrogance and "just don't give a f$%*" in that department and little Sandra isn't going to fix it. I'll just keep it to what I've personally witnessed, but the stories I've heard from one of the Sergeants...you wouldn't believe.

locosway
10-09-2009, 12:43 PM
The OC Register has also done a lot of good articles on Bill Hunt. For instance, here is the one that was in the same paper as the Sandra Hutchens incident.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/field-arpaio-sheriff-2599104-work-joe

jakemccoy
10-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Darn, I thought this suit was going to be over CCW permits. Some legal fund money was about to come from my way, even more money if the sheriff of my county had been named.

locosway
10-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Darn, I thought this suit was going to be over CCW permits. Some legal fund money was about to come from my way, even more money if the sheriff of my county had been named.

HAHA, sorry...

At least it looks like Bill Hunt has a really good chance at winning in 2010. If so, there need not be a lawsuit against Hutchens and her Gestapo force in the CCW department.

jakemccoy
10-09-2009, 2:12 PM
Well, I was getting excited, thinking that someone had found a way to file a suit for "shall issue" and named Hutchens as one defendant. Such a suit will always be my dream until California goes to "shall issue". The sheriff is irrelevant. For those who think "shall issue" is impossible, look at this map showing the progress of "shall issue" laws in this country:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rtc.gif

What is the force that is making these other states go from "may issue" to "shall issue"? That's not a rhetorical question. Has anybody here studied this? It can't merely the voting in of conservative candidates because, according to that map, over three quarters of the states are "shall issue" as of 2006. Actually, I think I'll start a new thread. Stay tuned...

locosway
10-09-2009, 2:16 PM
The sheriff IS relevant. He's the ultimate decider right now in a "may issue" state. Until we have "shall issue" the sheriff is the only relevant issue at hand for CCW issuance.

jakemccoy
10-09-2009, 2:53 PM
When I said the sheriff is irrelevant, I meant that the sheriff is irrelevant to my yearning for "shall issue". In your post #12, you seem to be implying that if Orange County gets a cool sheriff, then the Orange County residents can rest again and don't need to think about lawsuits and such. I disagree. I say keep the pressure on, regardless of who the sheriff is. It's a lame existence to have CCW permit rights dependent on who the sheriff is at the time.

Fjold
10-09-2009, 3:15 PM
The sheriff IS relevant. He's she's the ultimate decider right now in a "may issue" state. Until we have "shall issue" the sheriff is the only relevant issue at hand for CCW issuance.

Fixed it.

locosway
10-09-2009, 3:21 PM
When I said the sheriff is irrelevant, I meant that the sheriff is irrelevant to my yearning for "shall issue". In your post #12, you seem to be implying that if Orange County gets a cool sheriff, then the Orange County residents can rest again and don't need to think about lawsuits and such. I disagree. I say keep the pressure on, regardless of who the sheriff is. It's a lame existence to have CCW permit rights dependent on who the sheriff is at the time.

I understand, and in the grand scheme of things we do want a state wide SI, not just a country SI.

Fjold, thanks for the correction.. :)

SteveH
10-09-2009, 6:29 PM
Thats always been a lawyer problem not a jail staff problem. As long as jail inmates have telephones, mail and commissary accounts some enterprising Criminal defense attornies and bail bondsmen will profit from others incarceration.