PDA

View Full Version : 62 Hours Left

Phil3
10-09-2009, 10:02 AM
62 hours left till midnight Sunday when AB 962 becomes law unless the governor vetoes it. Language I found today from the Sacramento Bee. My emphasis is in bold and means we can not let up in calling, faxing, e-mailing can take place. - Phil

Phone = 916-445-2841
Fax = 916-558-3160
E-Mail = http://www.gov.ca.gov/interact#email Subject is Gun Control, hit Submit, and fill in the text with message and send.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger today affirmed a looming threat to veto a large bulk of the bills that have been sent to his desk unless lawmakers can strike a deal on a package of water bills.

"I made it very clear to the legislators and to the leaders that if this does not get done then I will veto a lot of their legislation, a lot of their bills, so that should inspire them to go and get the job done," he said at the end of remarks to the Association of Community College Trustees' Leadership Congress, which is meeting in San Francisco today.

Legislative leaders are scheduled to meet with the governor at 11:30 today to continue to work toward a self-imposed Friday deadline for reaching an agreement on the bills.

Beatone
10-09-2009, 10:31 AM
This can not pass. Keep calling.

BigBamBoo
10-09-2009, 10:36 AM

kf6tac
10-09-2009, 10:47 AM
So play'in the devil's advocate here...say they do give Arni what he wants....and drop a water bill on his desk in the next 48 hours that he is ok with. Does this mean he WILL sign the 700 bills he is threatening to veto? Just a thought.

Take care,Stan

I'm hopeful that it means he'll actually consider each of the 700 bills on their merits (or in the case of AB962, lack thereof) instead of just blindly vetoing them all in one fell swoop.

loather
10-09-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm hopeful that it means he'll actually consider each of the 700 bills on their merits (or in the case of AB962, lack thereof) instead of just blindly vetoing them all in one fell swoop.

I'm certain there are a few he'll veto anyways, just because, but actually sign the ones with merit (or let them enact without signature).

sd_shooter
10-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Arnold's phone line is open - keep calling!

Maestro Pistolero
10-09-2009, 11:59 AM
We should all call our Senators today and oppose whatever it is that they are proposing for a water bill. Get them to really piss off the governor.

Centurion_D
10-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Heck I've been trying to get through for last 2 hours and it's been busy.

Blackhawk556
10-09-2009, 2:36 PM
if he vetoes the entire cake, do we have to worry about this bill coming up again next year?????????

Blackhawk556
10-09-2009, 2:37 PM

that's good to hear.

i just tried calling right now and the line was busy :43:

kf6tac
10-09-2009, 2:37 PM
if he vetoes the entire cake, do we have to worry about this bill coming up again next year?????????

I think we'll have to worry about it for as long as De Leon has a seat in the Legislature.

Whiskey84
10-09-2009, 3:02 PM
IKcMl_a9A

KylaGWolf
10-09-2009, 4:34 PM
I think we'll have to worry about it for as long as De Leon has a seat in the Legislature.

I have a feeling your right

SickofSoCal
10-09-2009, 4:37 PM
Does he actually ever 'work' on Sat. & Sun.?

If not, then there's about 1 hour left.

unusedusername
10-09-2009, 4:47 PM
We should al call our Senator today and oppose whatever it is that they are proposing for a water bill. Get them to really piss off the governor.

LOL Awesome :p

bodger
10-09-2009, 5:47 PM
I have a feeling your right

I'll bet DeLeon has an entire repertoire of anti gun legislation that he's all too ready to let fly, whether AB962 becomes law or not. And who would be surprised if he were to ressurect this POS again if it gets vetoed.

He seems to want to posture himself as the darling of gun control, and unfortunately for us, there are plenty of voters that think he's just swell because of that.

DeLeon is an enemy of the Constitution. One of those domestic enemies that is referred to in the oath you take when you join the United States Military.

bodger
10-09-2009, 5:48 PM
Does he actually ever 'work' on Sat. & Sun.?

If not, then there's about 1 hour left.

I've asked that before, nobody seems to know.
We'll sure as hell know when we wake up Monday morning.

Black_Talon
10-09-2009, 5:51 PM

How can he possibly consider 700 bills, each on it's own merit in the 62 hours that he has left?

Let's see 62 divided by 700 is 5.3 minutes per bill. Not very much time to read it and make an informed decision, is it?

SickofSoCal
10-09-2009, 5:54 PM
I've asked that before, nobody seems to know.
We'll sure as hell know when we wake up Monday morning.

Indeed.

Is there anything we can do to repeal this once it's law?

bwiese
10-09-2009, 5:55 PM
How can he possibly consider 700 bills, each on it's own merit in the 62 hours that he has left?

Let's see 62 divided by 700 is 5.3 minutes per bill. Not very much time to read it and make an informed decision, is it?

No governor in any season reads all the bills or even a few bills in detail.

Gov. has leg. staffers that handle blocks of bills; they summarize the bill, and offer recommendations (veto/sign/ignore) - I'd bet some bills have pre-written veto and acceptance statements.

bodger
10-09-2009, 6:01 PM
Indeed.

Is there anything we can do to repeal this once it's law?

I've heard hear on CG that there are several avenues that can be pursued to challenge this, interstate commerce was one concept mentioned if I recall.

Expensive, time consuming, and meanwhile these idiots are concocting more laws all the while. And trying to get things added back into AB962, like the 50 round limit that got taken out.

I don't know, one of the legal eagles could obviously answer better than me. I'm going to be one pissed off troop if all my calls and e-mails and faxes, and the efforts of everyone else turn out to be for nothing and this POS law is real come Monday.

Straight to AZ for me to blaze my trail for all future ammo purchases.

I just hope AZ and NV gun shop owners don't decide to sell only to their own state residents so us CA gunnies don't empty their shelves. I could see that happening. Even if it's not a state law, each shop owner could require that. I've seen some rumblings on gun boards in those states that suggest sales to ammo starved CA gunnies is not exactly a welcome concept. Too many folks out there in free states think we're stupid for living here and deserve what we get.

SickofSoCal
10-09-2009, 6:02 PM
It makes me sad to think that the press would be against us too.

They have virtually given this whole thing the silent treatment.

bodger
10-09-2009, 6:08 PM
Go to the Nevada gun shows. You will have no problem buying there.

Sounds good. Also, BDU pants and a Sun Devils t-shirt, probably pass for a good old AZ gunny boy in a regular gun shop.

mmbasser
10-09-2009, 6:17 PM
Phone line has been buzy for over an hour. Hope it's not being tied up by loony lefties! :nuts:

Sinestr
10-09-2009, 6:27 PM
I wonder how much ammo will be available in Nevada if this POS gets through. There will be a steady flow of us.

bodger
10-09-2009, 6:29 PM
I wonder how much ammo will be available in Nevada if this POS gets through. There will be a steady flow of us.

And from what I have seen on some of the gun boards, AZ and NV gunnies aren't thrilled about that.

I expect some shops to ask for state ID to weed us out. Maybe not right away.

RideIcon
10-09-2009, 6:38 PM

always, thats what sucks...
its a constant battle

RideIcon
10-09-2009, 6:39 PM
I expect some shops to ask for state ID to weed us out. Maybe not right away.

or just jack up the price!

Satex
10-09-2009, 6:40 PM

No it isn't busy. Apparently, our governor has a phone system that learns your number and locks you out for a few days after you call.

BigBamBoo
10-09-2009, 6:41 PM
Have bought,gathered,etc., over 2000 rounds of .45, .357 mag, 38 Spec., and 9mm....better to have it when I need it then to not have it and need it...yep...I wrote that correctly.

I hope for the best but learned my lesson as a Scout (got kicked out for eating a Brownie) and live by the motto.

Next week will be a interesting week for sure.

Take care,Stan

7222 Hawker
10-09-2009, 6:42 PM
Someone from California could make one heck of a living opening a costco sized ammo store two feet on the other side of the state line.

kermit315
10-09-2009, 6:49 PM
Screw it. I'll drive to Arkansas if that's what's necessary. Just make it a semi-annual pilgrimage. A "Rites of Ammo" just like Richard Brautigan's rites of tobacco.

I will never, ever, purchase another round of ammo in this state if AB962 becomes law. And I will send DeLeon may letters letting him know how much tax revenue he has robbed from this state, and how much he has harmed CA ammo dealers. Not that he would care about the latter.

Truthfully, he wont care about either. To dems, money grows on trees, and laws are about safety and control.

bodger
10-09-2009, 6:55 PM
Truthfully, he wont care about either. To dems, money grows on trees, and laws are about safety and control.

Sad but true. These idiots are going to run amok in this state until God knows what finally stops them.

Hell, CA is broke and they go merrily on collecting their state paychecks. What do they care. The dolts that voted for them think gun control is the same as stopping crime before it happens.

vrand
10-09-2009, 7:42 PM

Fixed it for ya

aileron
10-09-2009, 7:44 PM
Have bought,gathered,etc., over 2000 rounds of .45, .357 mag, 38 Spec., and 9mm....better to have it when I need it then to not have it and need it...yep...I wrote that correctly.

I've always heard it phrased, "Better to have and not need, then to need and not have."

First time I heard the phrase was in a war book about Vietnam LRRP's. Nothing online dates it any farther back that I know of. I've always been fond of that phrase.

kf6tac
10-09-2009, 7:49 PM
Someone from California could make one heck of a living opening a costco sized ammo store two feet on the other side of the state line.

Heck, Costco should do it. Or Sam's Club (is that what they have in Arizona?). Can you imagine buying bulk packs of Kirkland-brand ammo? Heh.

bodger
10-09-2009, 7:52 PM
How do they intend to enforce this crap anyway. Monitor every UPS shipment that comes in?

Will it be illegal for the out of state vendors to sell to us and ship it?

BTW, does any other state have this kind of stupid law?

BigBamBoo
10-09-2009, 8:07 PM

Synergy
10-09-2009, 8:10 PM

This is his 3rd try! I guarantee if it gets vetoed there will be a 4th! I know I wont be subjected to follow 962. I reload and what I need I will get out of state. I think as a whole we should boycott purchasing any ammo in this state. as a means to show how much we can effect local business. Maybe once business starts to dive it might make it back to Sac, that and the crime stats that dont go down after the bill takes effect.

Cant wait for the Ammo Black Market to open up! Weeee another criminal enterprise in this POS place we call home!

kf6tac
10-09-2009, 8:12 PM
This is his 3rd try! I guarantee if it gets vetoed there will be a 4th! I know I wont be subjected to follow 962. I reload and what I need I will get out of state. I think as a whole we should boycott purchasing any ammo in this state. as a means to show how much we can effect local business. Maybe once business starts to dive it might make it back to Sac, that and the crime stats that dont go down after the bill takes effect.

Cant wait for the Ammo Black Market to open up! Weeee another criminal enterprise in this POS place we call home!

I think the biggest problem is that the people pushing AB 962 won't give a crap if ammo-selling businesses go down - in fact they'd probably throw a party.

bodger
10-09-2009, 8:13 PM

You bet there will be a huge black market for ammo opening up.
But we can "give" as much ammo as we want to other people, right?

SimpleCountryActuary
10-09-2009, 8:13 PM
I just got through on both of my home lines. Keep calling.

hoffmang
10-09-2009, 8:14 PM
The governor's office will be staffed 16ish or more hours a day all weekend until Midnight Sunday. Keep dialing.

-Gene

Scratch705
10-09-2009, 8:20 PM
You bet there will be a huge black market for ammo opening up.
But we can "give" as much ammo as we want to other people, right?

no restrictions on private sales if i remember correctly. but the issue is the bill says that transactions must be done face to face. and it didn't specifically mention if that was just limited to retail sales or private sales.

Nodda Duma
10-09-2009, 9:02 PM
Screw it. I'll drive to Arkansas if that's what's necessary. Just make it a semi-annual pilgrimage. A "Rites of Ammo" just like Richard Brautigan's rites of tobacco.

Same here.

I grew up in Arkansas, and go back there every year for the holidays (alternating between hunting season and Christmas). If AB962 passes, we'll just drive every year so I could haul back all the ammo I'd be shipped out to my folks. :D

-Jason

bodger
10-10-2009, 5:21 PM
No governor in any season reads all the bills or even a few bills in detail.

Gov. has leg. staffers that handle blocks of bills; they summarize the bill, and offer recommendations (veto/sign/ignore) - I'd bet some bills have pre-written veto and acceptance statements.

That's frightening. A bill like this can become law because some anti-gun staffer rubber stamps it for acceptance and shoves it under the nose of a Governor who is too busy to read the bills himself.

Laws and sausages.

SickofSoCal
10-10-2009, 5:24 PM
I've always heard it phrased, "Better to have and not need, then to need and not have."

First time I heard the phrase was in a war book about Vietnam LRRP's. Nothing online dates it any farther back that I know of. I've always been fond of that phrase.

Here's another good one:

"Waste not, want not"

GrizzlyGuy
10-10-2009, 5:31 PM
no restrictions on private sales if i remember correctly. but the issue is the bill says that transactions must be done face to face. and it didn't specifically mention if that was just limited to retail sales or private sales.

No restriction on private sales, but they did build in a nebulous provision that they might use to go after someone who does a lot of eBay auctions or something like that(?):

"Handgun ammunition vendor" or "vendor" means any person,
firm, corporation, dealer, or any other business enterprise that is
engaged in the retail sale of any handgun ammunition, or that holds
itself out as engaged in the business of selling any handgun
ammunition.

Don't you just love these guys? :mad:

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/asm/ab_0951-1000/ab_962_bill_20090921_enrolled.html

SkyStorm82
10-10-2009, 5:35 PM
Keep calling fellas. I was out back smoking a cigar and got through about every other time.

bodger
10-10-2009, 5:36 PM
No restriction on private sales, but they did build in a nebulous provision that they might use to go after someone who does a lot of eBay auctions or something like that(?):

"Handgun ammunition vendor" or "vendor" means any person,
firm, corporation, dealer, or any other business enterprise that is
engaged in the retail sale of any handgun ammunition, or that holds
itself out as engaged in the business of selling any handgun
ammunition.

Don't you just love these guys? :mad:

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/asm/ab_0951-1000/ab_962_bill_20090921_enrolled.html

"Holding yourself out" as engaged in the retail sale. Is that vague enough? Like if you say "Wanna buy some ammo?" to anyone, you're a vendor and engaged in the business of.

Yeah, love these guys.

SickofSoCal
10-10-2009, 5:46 PM
Statest trash.

Can we all please take out the trash in November 2010?

bodger
10-10-2009, 8:02 PM
Here's another good one:

"Waste not, want not"

I think that one was made up by the few surviving members of the Donner Party. :shifty:

Sig357
10-10-2009, 8:07 PM
Keep calling fellas. I was out back smoking a cigar and got through about every other time.

Same here. Home stretch people, keep calling.

MontClaire
10-10-2009, 8:24 PM
why do i have a feelinhg that noone really cares therte when we call. they will push what they want unless we vote them out of office. it will be law. there will be no veto.

DigitalAmmunition
10-10-2009, 8:38 PM
Keep up the phone calls!!! Don't stop.

woodsman
10-10-2009, 8:46 PM
why do i have a feelinhg that noone really cares therte when we call. they will push what they want unless we vote them out of office. it will be law. there will be no veto.

Those public servants that care are the exception. We need to support those folks and not give up.

In the minds of the others, their ego and percieved eliteness only hardens their resolve to control the masses.

bodger
10-10-2009, 8:54 PM

I've wondered about that and asked that question on this board as well. How are all of these phone calls and faxes and e-mails ultimately brought to the attention of the gov or his staff? Are they tallied for a count of for and against?

Hoffmang posted in another thread that these 700 or so bills are most likely reviewed by staffers and presented to Arnie with a yea or nay recommendation. Arnie is probably not reading every bill himself.

So, I am continuing to call and fax and putting up the fight, but it would be good to know where our barrage of opposition to this bill is actually going.

Circular file?

hoffmang
10-10-2009, 10:14 PM
No matter what you think, the office is going to notice the bill or bills that get the most "please veto" calls/faxes/emails.

They'll also notice if the phone keeps ringing, fax machine keeps running and tweets and email keep flowing until even after the make a decision. We are hard to miss and we need to keep it that way.

-Gene

1BigPea
10-11-2009, 12:38 AM
I've gotten through 4 times in a row, keep calling! The phones should be busy at all times right now.

bodger
10-11-2009, 8:40 AM
No matter what you think, the office is going to notice the bill or bills that get the most "please veto" calls/faxes/emails.

They'll also notice if the phone keeps ringing, fax machine keeps running and tweets and email keep flowing until even after the make a decision. We are hard to miss and we need to keep it that way.

-Gene

Roger that, Gene. I've cleared the decks today for an all out assault with my fax machine and phone and computer. Dedicating the entire day to a barrage of opposition to this canard of a "law".

SkatinJJ
10-11-2009, 8:46 AM
I'm gettin' on with opposing their gun control bull too!

Callin in again.

Semper Fi!!!

JJ

In again!!! on the edit.

bodger
10-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Bump.

Keep the pressure on! This is the last chance we have to get the veto this time around.