PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Daniel Defense DDXV AR-15

Mr.CRC
10-09-2009, 9:30 AM
Hi:

I'm tempted to get an AR-15 instead of a hunting rifle for target shooting. I like the promo on this rifle.

I don't particularly like the plastic hand shrouds of ARs, nor the high profile sights. I DO however, wish to shoot iron sights on this rifle, and is one of the main reasons I like the idea of an AR vs. a hunting rifle.

What are the most likely upgrades or customizations I would want?

1. The Omega rail is for free floating the barrel, right? (And it gets rid of the plastic shroud which I don't like). It seems like the Omega X model is suitable.

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/browse&category=railsystems

2. There are alternative sights offered, the A1.5 fixed rear sight and Rail-Mount Fixed Front Sight. Can I mount these on the DDXV rifle?

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/browse&category=sights

Do these sights or the normal high-profile sights interfere with AimPoint type or telescopic sights?

3. They offer a low-profile gas block. What is this for? Is this for long rails that extend almost the whole barrel length?

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=107

I'm particularly confused by this gas-block business, since it appears from one of their barrel photos that the gas port is part of the front sight. Any technical explanations of how all this works would be of interest.

4. Oh, I also would probably prefer a 10 round mag rather than the excessively protruding 30/10 round default mag.

5. Is there any reason to consider their other models, such as the DDM4v2?

Thanks for comments!

Mute
10-09-2009, 10:05 AM
I suggest getting a the DDXV through Riflegear and taking advantage of the $250 black fund gift. This should cover the cost of the DD Omega rail and you can replace the standard handguards.

As for the M4v2, it's a good option if you don't want to install the rails yourself, or you want the Omega X rails over the Omega rails. The latter retail the delta ring and will result in a little more weight, so those would be the reason to get an M4v2.

As for the low profile gas blocks, those are for people who do not want a fixed front sight but want a rail that extends over the gas block. And you are correct that the fixed front sights are a part of the gas block.

Regardingthe iron sights and optics, fixed rear sights won't interfere with an Aimpoint. Whether they clutter your sight picture is a subjective matter. Some people prefer the iron sights to sit lower in relation to their dot sights and will get risers or mounts that will mount their dot sights higher up. You'll often see this referred this referred to as lower 1/3 co-witness. Scopes on the other hand is another matter entirely. For a properly mounted scope, a fixed rear sight will get in the way. You'll either have to go without or get folding rear sights that sit lower enough (folded down) to fit your scope.

technique
10-09-2009, 11:03 AM
If you buy it from riflegear.com(?) you get a $250 credit toward other DD products....so you will get the rail you want for free.

IsaacGlass
10-09-2009, 12:47 PM
If you buy it from riflegear.com(?) you get a $250 credit toward other DD products....so you will get the rail you want for free.

^^^^Plus one, its best deal^^^^

Mr.CRC
10-09-2009, 7:57 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I suggest getting a the DDXV through Riflegear and taking advantage of the $250 black fund gift. This should cover the cost of the DD Omega rail and you can replace the standard handguards.

The deal is very compelling. I could get everything the DDM4v2 has except for the slightly better buttstock for $1178 after using the $250 gift to buy the Omega Rail™ 7.0. Actually, it's even better since then I'd have both the rail and the regular shroud to play with.

As for the M4v2, it's a good option if you don't want to install the rails yourself, or you want the Omega X rails over the Omega rails. The latter retail the delta ring and will result in a little more weight, so those would be the reason to get an M4v2.

Ok, so far I can't tell much difference between the rails from the DD website. I should probably call them Monday to have it explained to me. You mention that the Omega 7.0 rail "retains the delta ring..." What is the delta ring?

As for the low profile gas blocks, those are for people who do not want a fixed front sight but want a rail that extends over the gas block. And you are correct that the fixed front sights are a part of the gas block.

It doesn't look like DD offers a low profile ready made rifle. It doesn't look like something I can do myself since it involves the gas system port.

This has me wondering if I should look into low profile uppers. I have never owned or operated an AR-15 before, so I prefer the simplicity of something that works out of the box (but a simple rail installation is Ok).

Regarding the iron sights and optics, fixed rear sights won't interfere with an Aimpoint. Whether they clutter your sight picture is a subjective matter. Some people prefer the iron sights to sit lower in relation to their dot sights and will get risers or mounts that will mount their dot sights higher up. You'll often see this referred this referred to as lower 1/3 co-witness. Scopes on the other hand is another matter entirely. For a properly mounted scope, a fixed rear sight will get in the way. You'll either have to go without or get folding rear sights that sit lower enough (folded down) to fit your scope.

The rear sight should be removable, unlike the front sight, no?

Parallax issues worry me with these high sights.

Ugh. Complicated. I was a high-powered flashlight fanatic before this. There the decision was simple, just buy all the ones to like! Rifles are too expensive to do that, so I need to figure out what I like before I buy.

haiedras
10-09-2009, 10:39 PM
The delta ring is a tension-ring that holds the handguards in place. There are some free-float rail systems that utilize the D-ring, and a few that require you to remove the D-ring.

The only difference between the omega and omega X rail is the Omega X rail requires you to remove the delta ring. If you want a pretty decent comparison, go to
http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/8343/41127.html

The rear sights are removable, but it depends on what you plan on using the AR-15 for. If you're going to make it into a long-range Special Purpose Rifle type, then you'll probably want a low-profile gas block and flip up front and rear sights, since you'll be running a magnified optic of some sort.
If you're looking to shoot under 300 or so, then it depends on your preference in optics clutter. You can remove the rear sight and just run a red-dot scope with the front sight post.

There are a lot of options, and plenty of resources out there that should break things down for you. m4carbine.net is a good technical source, and rob sloyer at tacticalyellowvisor.net playskools things really well for as a resource.

Alternatively, just try out different people's configurations.

shark92651
10-10-2009, 9:34 AM
Daniel Defense has this new "Slick Top" upper with 12" lite rail available now. I am sure a rifle with this upper will be coming soon.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2565/3998545012_e83518fe6b_o.jpg

campperrykid
10-10-2009, 10:24 AM
The Omega is one of the slimmest and lightest FF rails on the market. It takes 10 -- 15 minutes to mount.
There are two 9 inch Omega's at our house -- his & hers.

Check out tacticalyellowvisor.net for more rail info.

Mr.CRC
10-10-2009, 8:18 PM
Daniel Defense has this new "Slick Top" upper with 12" lite rail available now. I am sure a rifle with this upper will be coming soon.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2565/3998545012_e83518fe6b_o.jpg

That's perfect. This would offer the ultimate in flexibility with sight choices, plus gets rid of the high profile typical front sight that I don't like.

Do you carry this? I don't see a web page for it at www.danieldefense.com .

Can Daniel Defense or RifleGear.com build a custom rifle with this upper?

I also have a question about delivery/pickup of a gun purchased from an online or "mail order" vendor. I know I have to pick it up at a licensed dealer.

Do I just have it delivered to my local gun shop, and tell them that it's coming? I presume I fill out the background check forms at the shop as well.

I have to ask the local shop folks in the next few days if they provide this service.

Oh good grief, I can't believe I've been infected with EBR disease!

Mute
10-10-2009, 8:53 PM
That looks like a nice upper. There are a number of good options if you want to get an upper without the fixed front sight base and gas port. We can probably all make some suggestions if you state how much you want to spend overall.

If you order a complete rifle, you'll have to find a local vendor or find one that's willing to swap out the normal mag release button for a bullet button or the equivalent. The other way is to get a complete lower from a local vendor and order the upper separately (which can be shipped directly to you).

Mr.CRC
10-10-2009, 9:29 PM
That looks like a nice upper. There are a number of good options if you want to get an upper without the fixed front sight base and gas port. We can probably all make some suggestions if you state how much you want to spend overall.

I can deal with up to about $2k, but would prefer in the $1700-$1800 range. Of course, the less the better. But I want quality. I mention some other details about my interests here:

www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=230276

If you order a complete rifle, you'll have to find a local vendor or find one that's willing to swap out the normal mag release button for a bullet button or the equivalent. The other way is to get a complete lower from a local vendor and order the upper separately (which can be shipped directly to you).

Yeah. My local shop has some low profile uppers on the wall. I will go take a look at those tomorrow or Monday. They said that if I get one of those, it rules out DD, which I had come to like since they seem to be considered a high quality manufacturer. So I will have to find out the makers of the uppers they offer, the makers of the lowers they suggest to mate with them, then do a whole bunch more reading and bugging you guys!

Thanks for the response.

Good day!

J_Rock
10-10-2009, 11:08 PM
High profile front sight? Uh...you know any front sight you put on there will have the same height over the bore as the fixed front sight.

Mr.CRC
10-11-2009, 4:18 PM
High profile front sight? Uh...you know any front sight you put on there will have the same height over the bore as the fixed front sight.

Well that may be the case, but if it's on a rail rather than part of the gas system, then I can easily pop it off anytime and work with an optic without the clutter in the sight picture.

Plus, it's an aesthetic thing. I like my stuff to look exactly my style of appealing, and the standard front sight just doesn't look good to me.

Thanks for the reply!

Mr.CRC
10-11-2009, 4:22 PM
It turns out my local shop has a slick top DD with 12" rail upper on the wall. I can start building one based on that now if I want.

The only thing holding me up is whether to go for a longer barrel design for more accuracy, faster velocity, a little less loud in my face.

Hmm.

Mute
10-11-2009, 5:30 PM
The longer barrel will give you more velocity, but that doesn't necessarily translate into more accuracy except at longer ranges. It may, it may not. Determine your shooting distances then choose your barrel length accordingly. If you aren't going to shoot beyond 500 yards, the longer barrel may not necessarily give you better accuracy.

shark92651
10-11-2009, 6:35 PM
That's perfect. This would offer the ultimate in flexibility with sight choices, plus gets rid of the high profile typical front sight that I don't like.

Do you carry this? I don't see a web page for it at www.danieldefense.com .

Can Daniel Defense or RifleGear.com build a custom rifle with this upper?

We have some of those uppers on order and we sell the complete DD M4 lower. Slap those two items together and you have what you are looking for.