PDA

View Full Version : Rearsenaled/refinished definition ???

SilverSalmon
10-09-2009, 7:56 AM
What is the technical definition of rearsenaled or refinished parts in regards to a C&R. Are the parts still original? etc.? I think my Garands Special from CMP has some refinished parts, but technically i don't know how that differs from a Service grade Garand? All my parts are matching and from Springfield Armory. I'm a newbie trying to get clarity and understanding. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jarhead
10-09-2009, 6:24 PM
Per CMP: SERVICE GRADE: (Good to Very Good)
Service Grade Rifles show less wear and better appearance than Field or Rack Grades. Good to very good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the parkerized finish. There may be some minor pitting on the metal parts. Wood will be either Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety and will be basically sound but may have minor hairline cracks, dings, scratches and gouges. Wood may not match in color or type of wood. Wood may be of new production on Service Grade Garands. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections. The barrel crown may be nicked, but the muzzle will gauge less than 3 and the throat erosion will gauge less than 5.

Manufacturer selection only guarantees the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. The barrel and the other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers.

Jarhead
10-09-2009, 6:26 PM
more CMP: Over the past 65 years, most M1 rifles have been arsenal rebuilt, refinished, rebarreled or repaired at least once and often several times. Most will show signs of service (often considerable) and replacement of various parts. They are seldom encountered with all original parts and original finish as delivered from the manufacturer. Such "original" rifles, even in well-used condition, are highly prized by collectors.

Jarhead
10-09-2009, 6:26 PM
Still the BEST C&R buy out there today

SilverSalmon
10-09-2009, 7:15 PM
I know all the info you posted. I can read it on the CMP website. I'm looking for the technical definition for a rearsenaled or refinished, irrespective of the firearm.

Jarhead
10-09-2009, 8:48 PM
get M1 Garand Books and start reading, maybe M1 Garand-M14 Shop Manual, by Jerry Kuhnhausen

SilverSalmon
10-09-2009, 10:42 PM
I bought the Scott Duff Books. Should be in the mail.

Mssr. Eleganté
10-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Rearsenaled typically means the firearm was refurbished in a military arsenal. During the process they might refinish the firearm, as well as change out any worn out or broken parts. Sometimes they might even change the configuration of the firearm, like when the Yugoslavian arsenals changed their M24 rifles into M24/47 rifles.

So refinishing can be part of the rearsenaling process. Refinishing is also done by non-military entities like importers or wholesalers or firearms owners.

BATFE has opined that changing out parts or refinishing parts does not remove the C&R status of military surplus firearms as long as the firearm stays in a military "configuration".

SilverSalmon
10-10-2009, 1:42 PM
Rearsenaled typically means the firearm was refurbished in a military arsenal. During the process they might refinish the firearm, as well as change out any worn out or broken parts. Sometimes they might even change the configuration of the firearm, like when the Yugoslavian arsenals changed their M24 rifles into M24/47 rifles.

So refinishing can be part of the rearsenaling process. Refinishing is also done by non-military entities like importers or wholesalers or firearms owners.

BATFE has opined that changing out parts or refinishing parts does not remove the C&R status of military surplus firearms as long as the firearm stays in a military "configuration".

THANKS SOOOOO MUCH!!!!! That's the answer I was looking for. You answered my question. i figured as much. Thanks so much again!