PDA

View Full Version : Good gun store in or around LA?

dukka
04-22-2005, 3:12 PM
Hello,

I am looking for a good gun store in which to transfer a .44 Automag. Because this is such an interesting weapon, I don't want to leave it for the 10 day drossing period with just anyone.

Thank you for any and all suggestions.

dukka
04-22-2005, 3:13 PM
I forgot to mention that I'm looking for a great gun store in or around the city of Los Angeles.

Thanks.

imported_dadoody
04-23-2005, 12:14 AM
http://www.laguns.com/
These guys are pretty good.

dukka
04-23-2005, 1:19 PM
Unfortunately I've had some unpleasent experiences at LA Guns. It was purely an attitude thing, and perhaps the people working there were just having a bad day. That combined with the fact that its pretty far away in west hollywood means that i probably won't be going back anytime soon.

uzigalil
04-25-2005, 7:03 AM
I have had a couple PPt at LA guns, each one smooth and easy.

PKAY
04-25-2005, 9:23 AM
dukka - Where are you located in the L.A. area? I use Leo Zamboni, West Coast Guns, Redondo Beach or you can use Turner's Outdoors in the same city. Also, there are Turner's locations throughout the L.A. area.

TannerBoyl
04-29-2005, 1:09 PM
I also use West Coast Guns for my transfers. Leo is a great guy. I couldn't recommend him more highly.

jester
05-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Where is west coast guns? I work in redondo and never heard of it.

LongBch_SigP226
05-07-2005, 5:45 AM
Originally posted by jester:
Where is west coast guns? I work in redondo and never heard of it.

Info grabbed from gunbroker.com FFL list
Leo E. Zamboni
West Coast Guns
3008 Dow Avenue
Redondo Beach, CA 90278
email: Click here to email me
phone: (310) 371-7726
fax: (310) 371-7726
cellular: (310) 245-4498

Hours: 6:00pm-9:00pm Tues-Fri, Sat-Sun by Appt
Transfer fee: $60 includes DROS fee

Gisherwitz
05-09-2005, 12:53 PM
I'd stay away from L.A. Guns, unless money is not an issue for you.

I have used Leo on transfers and he is great. Also, you can use Martin B. Rettings in Culver City, as well as the numerous Turners thorought Sourthern Cal.

P.S. L.A. Guns' transfer fee is $100 and not the $30 that they list it as on gunbroker.com.

MikeyBee
05-09-2005, 8:29 PM
I second going to Martin B. Rettings. I recently made my first ever firearms purchase (just moved from NYC) and the guys there were great. I stopped in, again and again, asking questions about different items and, even though I wasn't reaching for my wallet, they answered all my questions.

When I was finally ready to buy, they were just as helpful and informative.

Go see Ramsey, Bruce or any of the guys that work there. They are all great!

laguns
05-10-2005, 6:37 PM
Originally posted by dukka:
Unfortunately I've had some unpleasent experiences at LA Guns. It was purely an attitude thing, and perhaps the people working there were just having a bad day. That combined with the fact that its pretty far away in west hollywood means that i probably won't be going back anytime soon.

I remember a guy with an Automag transfer who refused to give his real address on the 4473 so I refused to do the transfer and asked him to leave. Yes, that was a bad experience for, both of us.

BTW, we never posted transfer fees on any web site and if I knew how, I would amend the listings. At this time we are no longer accepting any out-of-state transfers. Simply put, if it’s a new gun and legal for you to have, we have it, or can get it.

This is a great site, very informative, but you will find some misinformation here so whenever possible I will try to keep the record straight about us anyway.

Ted

dukka
05-10-2005, 7:28 PM
Originally posted by PKAY:
dukka - Where are you located in the L.A. area? I use Leo Zamboni, West Coast Guns, Redondo Beach or you can use Turner's Outdoors in the same city. Also, there are Turner's locations throughout the L.A. area.

I'm in Koreatown.

dukka
05-10-2005, 7:30 PM
Originally posted by L.A.GUNS:
This is a great site, very informative, but you will find some misinformation here so whenever possible I will try to keep the record straight about us anyway.

Ted

I trust you are refering to the transfer listing issue and not to my negative experience at your store? The latter is not, after all, misinformation. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LongBch_SigP226
05-10-2005, 7:35 PM
Look for your closest FFL here #1 (http://www.gunbroker.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp)

Look for your closest FFL here #2 (http://www.auctionarms.com/help/FFLNetwork.cfm)

You need to call them up, describe type of service you wish and get pricing for the transfer.

05-10-2005, 11:21 PM
Those listing are terribly out of date, almost to the point of being useless IMO.

The closest store to dukka IS L A Guns but it seem he was booted out of there. (unless there is another Automag needing a transfer in LA) http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Let me join uzigalill in support of Ted & Helene at L A Guns. They are stand up people who have taken good care of me for the last six or seven years. I ran into Ted at Angeles Range last year and found that he is definitely more pleasant when he is not trying to juggle a store full of customers and answer endless question on the phone which seems to ring constantly. He let me shoot his H&K Expert and about a half dozen full custom 1911's while he puffed a fine smelling cigar. All in all I must have blown through two or three hundred rounds of 45 from his stash. Ted is AOK in my book.

gunsnrovers
05-11-2005, 4:43 AM
Face to face PPT's are price fixed by the state and, as far as I know, a FFL selling handguns has to provide the service (which is why Big 5 does not as they don't sell handguns).

Out of state FFL transfer are a different issue.

As to LA Guns and the above statement, earlier this year they were unable and unwilling to help locate a FN marked Hi-Power and were unwilling to do the out of state transfer so I went to Rettings instead. I'd purchased a few handguns from Ted in the past, but haven't been there since then.

05-11-2005, 10:16 AM
Yes I know those Belgium Hi-Powers were not available at L A Guns for a few months No one else had one either so I just found other guns to buy until Helene finally found one for me. BTW, Ted tells me if you really want something hard to find you better ask Helene. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BTW, I've been buying a gun a month ever since the state told me thats all I can have. Just picked up my 100th gun, a soon to be discontinued H&K P7M8 that L A Guns had on web special for $1400 and change. Woo Hoo!

gunsnrovers
05-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Helene was whom I spoke with.

Don't care either way. I realise the perceived need for high transfer fees in order to protect their business interests. The web created many challenges for retail operations.

I just saw the statement that "if we don't have it, we'll get it so you don't need to do a out of state transfer" and found that not to be true.

Gisherwitz
05-12-2005, 12:17 PM
GunsnRovers,

I thought I add that LAGUNS is the store that asked that we not talk about gun prices on this board. See: http://calguns.net/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/537608486/m/61310656511

LAGUNS' posts on this board clearly indicate that it subsribes to the customer is not always right mentality and that they operate in a we against them environment. It is this reason, amongst numerous others, why I would never return to their store. I have since bought many new guns, including high priced target rifles, from other stores.

LAGUNS, like any other FFL dealer, is in the service industry. Why people put up with its contempt for its customer base (we gun owners) as evidenced by its posts on this board is beyond belief.

What a ironic post from LAGUNS who doesn't want us to discuss prices on this board. Thanks but no thanks for trying to keep the record straight LAGUNS. Oh right, I forgot the customer is always wrong!

05-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Seems the only problem a few are having with L A Guns has to do with them not wanting to do transfers.

GunRovers-You bought some guns and were happy till you wanted them to do a transfer and they said no. They found me a Browning so I simply don’t believe that they didn’t want to look for one for you.

Dukka-You were unhappy about how they handled a private party transfer for which they get $10

Gisherwitz-You don’t like how much they charge for transfers

Does anyone else see a pattern here?

BTW, Michael B, saw your post sometime back, FYI Ted (of L A Guns) is a huge guitar collector and will take in guitars as trades.

Gisherwitz
05-12-2005, 12:40 PM
ShorePaul,

Actually I said that their transfer fee was one of numerous reasons why I would not go back to the store. The more important reason is that on guns, ammo and supplies LAGUNS is way overpriced.

For example, LAGUNS sells the same can of Gunscrubber for $4 more than Turners or Big 5. On guns and ammo, LAGUNS is equally overpriced. Like I said earlier, if money is not a issue, then go to LAGUNS.

gunsnrovers
05-12-2005, 2:04 PM
No offense, but I just don't care if you don't believe me. I was unhappy with the rude response I got from Rettings regarding a similar request late last year so I went to LA Guns this time as they had done well for me in the past. This time they didn't want to help so I went back to Rettings, spoke to a different clerk who was more then willing to take my $80 transfer fee provided the gun I wanted wasn't one they normally stocked, and I am now the happy owner of a FN HP.

Your support of a local gun store is a great thing, but that does nothing to discount the experience of others.

05-12-2005, 2:24 PM
Hey Gisherwit

OK, just for ****s-n-grins I called Turner’s since I use a lot of Gunscrubber. After being put on hold for over five minutes at the Fountain Valley location I hung up and tried the Kern Mesa store. The lady there was very nice and transferred me to “hunting”. Seven minutes later and still on hold I hung up and called the Chino location and they told me that Turner’s doesn’t even carry it. They do have something called “Crudscrubber” from Outers at $7 a can. I am looking at the same size can of Gunscrubber that I bought from L A Guns and it says 7.95 on it.

As for ammo, they are $1.50 cheaper on 45acp FMJ, and $1 cheaper on 9mm FMJ. This is for boxes of 50 factory new stuff. After I get my usual 10% off for buying five boxes or more from L A Guns I’m about a few cents better off than going to Turner’s.

I should point out that Ted always encourages me to buy my ammo at the gun club stating that I should support them since their overhead is so huge and they need all the help they can get.

I’m surprised Ted hasn’t chimed in here since at least two of you have it in for them and are obviously trying to slander his business.

BTW, I called Big-5 too but the girl didn’t know what Gunscrubber was and they don’t sell handgun ammo.

Got to go now but I’ll be back in town Monday and will check in then.

jester
05-12-2005, 2:32 PM
As an ex-Big5 employee, they most assuredly DO sell handgun ammo & gunscrubber.

gunsnrovers
05-12-2005, 3:08 PM
How is sharing an experience slandering his business? I clearly stated that I had had previous pleasent experiences with Ted & Helene and have spent money in their store in the past.

I'm happy you're friends with Ted and are a happy customer. I am sure you rank among many of happy customers shopping at LA Guns. It's obvious they have a decent business going. Good for them.

That being said, your feelings do NOTHING to discount my experience there and does nothing to discount the claims from others about high pricing on accessories.

It is quite possible for people to have very different opinions about a business and for all parties to be "correct".

Put the crack pipe down son.

PS - It is actually impossible for this to be slanderous. If what I was saying were untrue, I would be libel. Slander is spoken. Libel is written. If you're going to accuse me of a crime, accuse me of the correct one.

dukka
05-12-2005, 3:28 PM
ShorePaul,

Its good that you are sharing your own positive experiences with LA Guns. Questioning of others' negative experiences is probably not the best thing, though. Be happy that you have found a store that you like. Accept that others don't like it, and that you do. It is the same for everything in the world - gun retailers are not excepted from this. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks to everyone in this thread for the good suggestions. I have a lot of information that I did not have when it started.

05-12-2005, 6:24 PM
{sniff-sniff-sniff}
I smell a shill in here, and it smells like the "weasel".

Over the course of my time here on CG.net, if I were asked which California gun store has received the most free, "on-air" plugs and advertisement either directly from the owners themselves, or indirectly from apparent puppets acting on their behalf, I'd have to unanimously vote for LA Guns.

There are other FFL holders here that have a much more humble sense about themselves and NEVER self-promote in this fashion. They, IMO, are of a higher class.

gunsnrovers
05-13-2005, 6:09 AM
You're probably right.

Been had by a troll.

laguns
05-13-2005, 2:54 PM
Wow I am speechless, and that’s rare.

GTKrockeTT
05-13-2005, 3:19 PM
pulled up a chair, popped some popcorn. carry on, i'm just here for the show. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kestryll
05-13-2005, 4:02 PM
Show's over.
This has gone far afield from the original post and question. Everybodies had a chance to speak, some politely some not.
I don't see where this can go anywhere good from here so.....