PDA

View Full Version : 8mm

Adelphos
10-08-2009, 5:23 PM
Recently bought a m98 Mauser from a gun show and with it came some ammo. I took it to the range and fired some down at about 100yrds. To my slight disappointment i was getting maybe 8inch groups. Now im not that bad of a shot. Wasnt sure if it was the gun the ammo or both. I cleaned the gun and found some copper build up in the barrel that might have something to do with it. Just didnt know if that surplus ammo isnt exactly dead on. Also getting into reloading it and heard good things about custom loads getting the accuracy i desire. Any suggestions to pointers so i see what might be my problem?

Adel

qaz987
10-08-2009, 5:41 PM
8 inches with open sights at 100 yards is definitely minute of deer and it'll only get better. Nice rifle by the way!

Chach
10-09-2009, 3:39 AM
Recently bought a m98 Mauser from a gun show and with it came some ammo. I took it to the range and fired some down at about 100yrds. To my slight disappointment i was getting maybe 8inch groups. Now im not that bad of a shot. Wasnt sure if it was the gun the ammo or both. I cleaned the gun and found some copper build up in the barrel that might have something to do with it. Just didnt know if that surplus ammo isnt exactly dead on. Also getting into reloading it and heard good things about custom loads getting the accuracy i desire. Any suggestions to pointers so i see what might be my problem?

Adel

Reloading is definitely the way to go for accuracy, but try picking up some Romanian surplus until you're all set up in that arena, it's some of the best stuff out there right now for 8mm. I get about 3-4" groups off it in my 98, which I'm not disappointed about considering I'm not all that good w/ bolt rifles and my bore doesn't look good whatsoever. It groups alright in my MG42 as well (less than 8" you're getting out of a belt fed isn't all that bad).

Aimsurplus has a 340 rd can for 99.95 w/ 1 cent shipping.

Dr. Peter Venkman
10-09-2009, 6:13 AM
Post pictures of your rifle and its bore.

CSACANNONEER
10-09-2009, 6:36 AM
Surplus ammo is not the best by any means but, 8moa isn't what I'd consider "good" either. Where you shooting off ahnd or from a good rest system? I expect 3-4moa from my Mausers with surplus ammo. Yugo is the only surplus I can shoot at my local range and I can definately maintain 3-4moa all day long with it.

B Strong
10-09-2009, 8:02 AM

Adel

Depending on the type and condition of your K98, this could be the normal performance.

Please assume that any surplus ammo you fire is corrosive, and clean your rifle accordingly - spray down the bore and bolt face with windex at the range when your finished, and clean the bore and bolt with plenty of hot water when you get it home. Go back the next day and do it over again. Check the rifle thereafter for signs of corrosion.

Surplus Mausers run the gamut from pristine collector rifles to shot-out Turkish, and you'll have to determine where your rifle falls in those categories.

For an average condition K98k with tuned handloads, you might see 2 moa with iron sights.

mls343
10-09-2009, 9:34 AM
Dr. Pete is right. Some of those old surplus 98k's have been shot a lot. Check the bore first thing and take it from there. Most 98's shoot better than that.

The next thing I would check would be the ammo if the bore is good. Some of that surplus stuff might have been sitting around for a while. I bought some old 8mm from Israel from the late '40's that must have been salvaged from the bottom of the Red Sea it shot so bad. Conversely, the same gun fired some more modern loads without a hitch.

Adelphos
10-09-2009, 11:40 AM
well i just finished cleaning it and did find some copper build up. going to take it to the range again tomorrow and see if it helps at all =/

maschronic
10-09-2009, 11:49 AM
i have one. it is beaten up. barrel has rust. wood has a lot of dents and stuff, but not cracked.

i only shoot surplus ammo i bought back in the days. i can hit steel targets at 400 yards using iron sights. even though the rifle is old and in ok condition, it shoots straight. the action is very smooth. to be honest, i've never tried shooting paper at 100 yards.

i still have the rifle and it makes it out on every desert trip.

i hope that helps.

usmcspud
10-09-2009, 12:02 PM
It could be the lands and grooves at the muzzle are badly worn from the troops cleaning from the muzzle end with a steel rod. That's what I've seen on some I've had.
Spud

Army GI
10-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Surplus ammo is not the best by any means but, 8moa isn't what I'd consider "good" either. Where you shooting off ahnd or from a good rest system? I expect 3-4moa from my Mausers with surplus ammo. Yugo is the only surplus I can shoot at my local range and I can definately maintain 3-4moa all day long with it.

I agree, 8 MOA is pretty horrible. US military rifles need to hold at least 4 MOA to be considered serviceable. But for many of us here, even 4 MOA is abysmal. I'm not satisfied until I can shoot 2" groups at 100 yards with my 1903 or M1 Garand using hand loads. Surplus ammo isn't really good for punching paper for groups unless it's something like HXP.

Luckily for you, you have the famous Mauser rifle which is like the 1911 of the surplus rifle world. You can easily have a new barrel installed in it, reload your own ammo and be shooting 1.5"-2" groups with open sights no problem.

Adelphos
10-09-2009, 1:53 PM
barrel isnt in bad condition still has lots of rifling left. so i will try out hand loads in different ammo and try to keep it updated for anyone interested.

Rem222
10-10-2009, 9:31 AM

Is the Yugo non-magnetic? If so could you provide a link.. Thanks

I have a K98 also but I had to replace the original rear sight (which I kept) with a mojo. I can at least see the target now and shoot 3-4" groups at 100yds.

CSACANNONEER
10-10-2009, 9:45 AM
Is the Yugo non-magnetic? If so could you provide a link.. Thanks

I have a K98 also but I had to replace the original rear sight (which I kept) with a mojo. I can at least see the target now and shoot 3-4" groups at 100yds.

Yes, Yugo is non-magnetic. I haven't shopped around so I don't want to link you to an overpriced source like CTD or SG. I don't like to buy from them anyways. But, you can just keep looking here. I found my last case on Calguns.