PDA

View Full Version : Head spacing for an AR 15

1lostinspace
10-08-2009, 4:40 PM
Anyone know of anyone that can check head spacing? I live near Temecula

Beelzy
10-08-2009, 4:48 PM
Unless you did barrel work, or swapped out a bolt for a new one you should be fine as far as headspacing goes. ARs are quite forgiving in that regard.

Just make sure to check your brass after a few rounds to make sure.

1lostinspace
10-08-2009, 4:52 PM
Unless you did barrel work, or swapped out a bolt for a new one you should be fine as far as headspacing goes. ARs are quite forgiving in that regard.

Just make sure to check your brass after a few rounds to make sure.

it's piercing the primer after a few rounds tried different ammo tried different bolt tried different firing pins measured how far pin protrudes and in spec it had a FSC556 on it and when I took it off it has not done it again but I have only fired 100 rounds.

goober
10-08-2009, 4:53 PM
headspace is determined by the barrel extension. if that was installed correctly to begin with you're all set.
if it has been messed with, get someone who knows what they are doing to set it right for you.

alpha_romeo_XV
10-08-2009, 6:37 PM
Were the pierced primers from factory ammo or reloads? If Reloads, what primers were used? Brench Rest primers or Hot reloads can cause pierced primers. If brass wasn't sized down enough maybe did seat all the way in chamber.

Fjold
10-08-2009, 7:20 PM
A quick check that you can do is pull the firing pin and check the tip to make sure that's it's not pointed or has a burr.