PDA

View Full Version : Why is Wayne Lapierre Calling me at 2130 Hrs?

BigJim_610
10-08-2009, 9:58 AM
To tell me the UN is voting to ban guns at this very moment?

Is the UN really in assembly at 0030 hours? I doubt it.

I am in the NRA and I contribute what I am able to, but jeez I also work and get up early. Was it mecessary to call that late?

Minor rant /off.

bwiese
10-08-2009, 10:00 AM
The marketing service screwed up. It wasn't straight from NRA.

You can easily opt out of all NRA ad materials, solicitations, etc. at NRA. It does work.

bbguns44
10-08-2009, 10:06 AM
He wants more money. He's having trouble making ends meet on his
$600K salary.

POLICESTATE
10-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Let the UN ban guns if they want. As a US Citizen I don't recognize their authority.

bwiese
10-08-2009, 10:10 AM
He wants more money. He's having trouble making ends meet on his $600K salary.

Can we pay him more to reward him for owning Congress even with Obama in place?

That's a bargain to get someone with that skill set. CEOs of similarly-sized companies with similar responsibilities make a helluva lot more.

Are you GOA/GOC?

bbguns44
10-08-2009, 10:14 AM
"That's a bargain to get someone with that skill set. CEOs of similarly-sized companies with similar responsibilities make a helluva lot more"

I always see that as a justification for the enormous pay of ceos. Wall
street types always like to make that claim. I have worked for a number
of Fortune 500 comapnies and I have never, never felt that the top
managers were worth what they got paid. They have never impressed me
with their insights or skills.

I strongly suspect NRA can get the same result with someone paid $150K.

Glock22Fan
10-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Let the UN ban guns if they want. As a US Citizen I don't recognize their authority.

You may not recognize their authority, but it is a mistake to just ignore them.

1) Without our tax dollars, the UN would go out of business. We contribute a major part of the cost to provide a platform that is, more often than not, aimed against us.

2) Other people in other countries don't ignore them. In Europe, for example, a lot of people (yes they are ignorant, but they do have a voice) use anything they can, such as the U.S. ignoring the UN, to pile yet more criticism onto the already large pile aimed at the U.S. Things like to Kyoto treaty and, yes, gun control, are used against us by "proving" that the U.S. only cares about the U.S. and the rest of the world can melt for all we care.

It's attitudes like this that gives Obama his ammunition to go out on the world stage apologizing for us unthinking, insular, world-hating, savages.

rolo
10-08-2009, 10:17 AM
That's awesome that you are volunteering! I'll vote for you during the next NRA elections bbguns44!

bwiese
10-08-2009, 10:21 AM
"That's a bargain to get someone with that skill set. CEOs of similarly-sized companies with similar responsibilities make a helluva lot more"

I always see that as a justification for the enormous pay of ceos. Wall
street types always like to make that claim. I have worked for a number

I think you're probably jealous. or at best uninformed, Work on your skill set to increase your pay and you'll be happier.

Lotsa software engineers (some contract, some perm) make >> $150K. That's just wages these days.

Many CEOs do more than earn their pay, and/or market rewards them thru stock growth due to performance (sales) - and they have a grueling schedule, never at home, always on the road. etc.

I'll use one Calguns CEO as an example - Gene Hoffman. He's on the road all the time, has tons of 12+hr days and lost weekends. And he's at a smaller post-startup company - imagine were he to be CEO of a Fortune 500 company. And the NRA is in that league given size/effectiveness/political weight.

Yeah, let's go experiment with our gunrights and try to save a nickel. Briliant.

M. D. Van Norman
10-08-2009, 10:42 AM
I consider the NRA’s work against United Nations arms-control proposals to be wasted effort at this point … but once we’ve finally secured the right to arms in the United States, then we can take the RKBA show on the road.

Glock22Fan
10-08-2009, 10:42 AM
I agree with BIll.

Having been involved in small company management, and discussions with union representatives who often think rather like bbguns44, it is my conclusion that many people just simply don't understand what is going on at the top. After all, if they did, they probably wouldn't still be at the bottom of the pyramid, they'd be earning the six figure salaries themselves. I'm not totally stupid (you are free to disagree in the privacy of your own cubicle) but my one attempt to run a company revealed my shortcomings in that area: I'm now happy to be just a worker drone where my abilities match the job requirements.

Not that there are no stupid managers, there certainly are, and many of the top managers bite off more than they can chew - but a good CEO is worth his or her weight in gold.

Glock22Fan
10-08-2009, 10:45 AM
I consider the NRA’s work against United Nations arms-control proposals to be wasted effort at this point … but once we’ve finally secured the right to arms in the United States, then we can take the RKBA show on the road.

You may be right (about wasted effort), but we should fight the UN whenever and whereever we disagree with them. Don't let them win by default.

M. D. Van Norman
10-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Sure, but maybe when there is a treaty before the Senate. I doubt we’re going to influence the President’s ambassador one way or the other.

POLICESTATE
10-08-2009, 11:47 AM
I think we should evict the UN from our country, stop funding them and tell them all to go pound sand.

dantodd
10-08-2009, 12:23 PM
I have worked for a number

I suspect this says more about you than the insight and skills of the Fortune 500 CEOs with whom you have worked.

djleisure
10-08-2009, 1:19 PM
Lotsa software engineers (some contract, some perm) make >> $150K. That's just wages these days.

That is a fact. ;)

CEO's put in a LOT of hours to get where they're at and it's not always WHAT they do it is WHO they know and how they use those connections.

Maestro Pistolero
10-08-2009, 1:51 PM
That's just naive. And no matter how much you can pay, it won't begin guarantee you a person with the guts, instinct, poise, single mindedness, comprehension of the issues, perspective, and good ole brass balls of someone like La Pierre.

POLICESTATE
10-08-2009, 2:29 PM
That is a fact. ;)

CEO's put in a LOT of hours to get where they're at and it's not always WHAT they do it is WHO they know and how they use those connections.

While some CEO's are good, some just screw everybody, like the banking CEO's. I have no sympathy for people like that.

7x57
10-08-2009, 2:31 PM
"
I always see that as a justification for the enormous pay of ceos. Wall street types always like to make that claim. I have worked for a number of Fortune 500 comapnies and I have never, never felt that the top managers were worth what they got paid.

How many Fortune 500 executives have you had the responsibility for hiring?

7x57

anthonyca
10-08-2009, 4:00 PM
$600K salary.

I am not saying this about you but just using your statement and applying it what I have heard before.

Many times I have heard shooters who complain about the gun laws state they will not join the NRA due to this "outragous salary", yet those same guys will pay more then the price for a 5 year member ship to have one night of watching a bunch of blithering idiots chase a ball around who make 10s of millions, some hundreds of millions.

:banghead:

artherd
10-09-2009, 2:23 AM
$600K salary.

I'd vote to triple that - we'd still be getting the deal of the century.

I have worked for a number

You're either too stupid to understand the issues - or lying.

wash
10-09-2009, 6:52 AM
I've seen a ~poor CEO cost a small/medium size company and its share holders millions of dollars.

A lot of the salary is to make sure the CEO is a person who won't screw up.

And I'm sure that ~poor CEO was making a salary close to $600,000 + great stock options.