View Full Version : m1 carbine question

10-08-2009, 2:48 AM
I just got a curio m1 carbine from aim surplus. The charging handle is very loose. It wiggles quite a bit. Also the charghing handle will come off the rail without the gun being broken down. Is this normal?

10-08-2009, 3:44 AM
No it is not normal. The part you are talking about is the slide, and it may not be installed properly. Try using this site to break down your rifle and assemble properly.

10-08-2009, 4:33 PM
Thanks, I will take the gun apart and see if it assembled properly.

10-08-2009, 5:27 PM
I took it apart and everything is assembled properly, the operating slide is on track. It only comes out of the track when it is assembled, if I pull up on it where the notch is in the back. What else could be the problem?

10-08-2009, 6:14 PM
either the slide has decided to die, or the rail within your receiver is going out.

IF and IF that receiver rail goes out, you're gonna need an entirely new one.

10-08-2009, 6:26 PM
I contacted aim surplus and I am going to see how they handle this. I got the gun from them 2 days ago. It was gun number 3490m. I hope they take care of this, considering I have spent thousands of dollars with theem. Thank you everyone for your help, it is much appreciated.

10-08-2009, 6:56 PM
Normaly the slide will have a "lip" on the bottom that rides in the reciver track both can wear out normally the slide. Take it off and look on bottom the "guide" lip should be about 90 thousandths wide and about 45 thosandths "tall" if it is rounded or worn down that maybe the problem any good condition GI slide will fit if the reciver track is worn wide then its new reciver time. Other things beside worn slide or reciver is barrel maybe loose or NOT indexed correctly all of which AIM should replace for you or refund.

10-09-2009, 6:10 PM
Well I e-mailed aim surplus today about the problem. The V.P. Bryan Flannagan contacted me and told me to send it back to them and they would take care of it. They are also going to pay for the postage. I am very happy with Aims customer service. I will continue to buy from them in the future. This company seems to be a good stand up company. It is hard to find companies like this today. I just thought I would let you fellow calgunners know this.

10-09-2009, 7:44 PM
in the future buy from CMP Service Grade and even Rack are better than the others

10-09-2009, 7:47 PM
Yeah, I just got all my paper work and stuff filled out and ready to mail in for the CMP. CMP is quite a bit cheaper.

11-13-2009, 11:26 AM
its not a big issue. go to one of the M1 Carbine surplus parts sites and buy a new slide. their cheap. sounds to me like the slides just worn out . generally those C&R M1 carbines can be great shooters, but its virtually impossible to buy one like that that doesnt need a part here and there. as long as the barrels in spec, and the receivers good, the rest of it is gravy.