PDA

View Full Version : The dishwasher method

five.five-six
10-08-2009, 12:01 AM
what's all the hub bub about the "dishwasher method"? i keep hearing it is the greatest way ever to de-cosmo a stock, it raises the dents and blond's out the wood so you can stain it however you like

a few questions, do you use detergent?

do you use the super clean or sterilize mode?

has anyone ever actually cracked or warped a stock this way?

Mssr. Eleganté
10-08-2009, 12:24 AM
From what I understand, you need to turn off the "heat" mode on your dishwasher. Keep in mind, I've never owned an automatic dishwashing machine. Those infernal contraptions have no place in my home. But that's what other people have posted over on gunboards and pparrallaxx bill's forums.

My solution was to learn to love the dings and dents and weeping cosmoline. That's history that's leaving a greasy stain on your shirt, son!

Brianguy
10-08-2009, 12:33 AM
"I have heard of it but I'm sort of afeared of hurting my pricless mosin stock" haha you read my mind :D

Eroland7
10-08-2009, 12:34 AM
The best way i have found is to use a small portable steam gun. Works like magic.

five.five-six
10-08-2009, 12:58 AM
well I just put my wood from my romey G build in the dw, I will have to post picks of how it comes out :willy_nilly:

TRICKSTER
10-08-2009, 5:07 AM
Not more HUB BUB again.
I think it is safer to sponge in a tub of hot water / bath tub with grease cutting soap, or use a small steam gun.
You have better control that way.

thefifthspeed
10-08-2009, 7:41 AM
I've done it to 3 stocks a few years back. For 2 of them it ended up working ok but the 3rd it made the wood more brittle and wood was falling off on corners here and there. I guess if you want a quick clean and pop it works good but from now on I'll take my time and go another route.

wellfedirishman
10-08-2009, 7:57 AM
I have used it on 3 or 4 stocks and it works great. It never damaged any wood or caused problems.

Just do it when your spouse is not around.

It sure gets all the grease and crap off the stock.

five.five-six
10-08-2009, 10:32 AM
looks like mine came out great... I ran it twice with detergent. it is a lot heavier now, so i guess it has to dry for a few days :)

mls343
10-08-2009, 11:09 AM
I only use the diswasher for cleaning black powder. Works fantastic until I got busted by the Wife. Now, I only do it when she is not around...

I don't even want to discuss the time she found one of my engines (dirt bike) in the oven heating up the cases to remove a main bearing. That was not pretty either...:rolleyes:

nfranco
10-08-2009, 11:13 AM
I don't even want to discuss the time she found one of my engines (dirt bike) in the oven heating up the cases to remove a main bearing. That was not pretty either...:rolleyes:

Hehe, or pistons in the double boiler.

stevenjay1
10-08-2009, 12:53 PM
It just goes to show you that wives do not know how to use "Tools" nor do they have a sense of humor!

rjf
10-08-2009, 1:14 PM
Works great. I haven't done handguards for fear of warping thin wood. Some say no problem. Dishwashers spray hot soapy water so the stock is not submerged. I have a steamer I use on long stocks that don't fit. I prefer the dishwasher. I have done about a dozen M1 stocks and benefits I have experienced are super clean wood, lifted dents, tighter fitting stock, and inspection stamps revealed.

That's the hub bub I know.:)

Super Spy
10-08-2009, 1:50 PM
I used to work as a mechanic in a shop that did a lot of engine rebuilds....we had a great parts washer that was basically just a big dishwasher....thing worked great on everything.....fast forward to the present....My wife gets ticked when I clean my guns on the kitchen table....but then she hates guns.....I will end up buying some old beast of a gun one of these days and have to try the dishwasher......

jeffsenpai
10-08-2009, 2:03 PM
For anyone who has done this, does it leave the smell of cosmo in the room? Or does it stain/color the dishwasher any funky way? Sounds like a good idea, but the wife would not approve if it left any telltale sign.

beetle
10-08-2009, 2:19 PM
any concern about bad stuff (i.e. lead) being left in the dishwasher?

campperrykid
10-09-2009, 4:06 AM
Lead , etc ? Big concern -- better run the washer a couple cycles
( with soap) after doing gun wood.

..... ( Snip for brevity) .....

has anyone ever actually cracked or warped a stock this way?

Yes on both counts. The dishwasher seems to work OK until you total a couple of medium priced pieces of wood.
I only use it on cheap wood that won't come clean any other way. Kill or cure.

mls343
10-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Yes, most illegal kitchen activities leave traces which is how we get busted. Even though I run another full cycle in the dishwasher or clean the sink after cleaning my dirt air filters, my wife always knows. I think they have some kind of anti gun/dirt bike/motor 6th sense that we just don't know about yet.

I'm hopeful that my Daughters don't get it until later or I'll be in real trouble... :sweatdrop:

five.five-six
10-09-2009, 11:14 AM
I just told my wife to leave the DW empty so i could clean a gun itn it .... and she did

we have a stainless BOSCH so it all wipes right out :)

Milsurp Collector
10-09-2009, 6:27 PM
If you try it make sure there are no cracks in the wood, even hairline cracks. The dishwasher will open them up:

http://i34.tinypic.com/aonhjs.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/w6sf9u.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/30hv4es.jpg

Also, it swelled the front of the Garand stock enough that the front ferrule wouldn't fit back on.

Many people like it because it is "quick and easy", but I don't recommend it. There are safer ways to clean the wood.