PDA

View Full Version : AR Build Question

ANARCANGEL
10-07-2009, 8:06 PM
Im thinking of building an AR-15. Whats the best way to go about it? Who is the best manufacturer of parts...ect. Can I assemble the parts needed at a gun show? I feel I must apologize for my ignorance....thanks for any help.

technique
10-07-2009, 8:07 PM
Budget. And type of shooting you wish to do with said AR.

Please :)

tomd1584
10-07-2009, 8:12 PM
^ +1. thats like saying you want to buy a car. and saying nothing else.

fliparch
10-07-2009, 8:18 PM
We need details...
What is it going to be used for?
What is your budget?
Do you have a preference DI vs Piston?
Do you prefer collapsible stock vs. fixed?
Too many variables.

Flying Bones
10-07-2009, 8:19 PM
I'll answer one question...assembling the parts at a gun show will likely cost you a lot more money for lower quality parts.
Where are you located? There's lots of good shops to get you started who will be around after the gunshow leaves town.

ANARCANGEL
10-07-2009, 8:38 PM
Thanks for the quick feedback guys. I would like it for a sporting gun and of course personal protection. I saw a program on the Outdoor channel a while back about the M4, and how it was used as a sniper rifle....super accurate. That would be cool. DI or piston? Im not sure what that means. I truley am a greenhorn to the gun. I know that I would want it to be accurate on a consistant basis. Im thinking maybe a $1,000 budget. Wife says less LOL

technique
10-07-2009, 8:50 PM
Well, An M4 isn't technically a "Sniper" type. It generally has a 14.5-16in barrel. You can do some distance with that.

I can't help you too much in that range but here are some suggestions.

Bravo Co I have seen go for about $1100
Daniel Defense basic models can be had for that.
I have seen some LMTs go for $1000-$1100 before.

Going a bit less than that are:

CMMG
Smith and Wesson
Stag
RRA

If you are serious about this being a self defense gun, look into the top 3 and CMMG as well, if you want to go out on the weekends and just hit the range for some fun, look at the later.

fliparch
10-07-2009, 9:05 PM
For an entry level rifle, a DI is probably your best bet but to explain DI vs Piston, here's an animation diagram of a Direct Impingement M4 rifle vs. an HK416, which is a piston rifle.

http://www.armytimes.com/projects/flash/2007_02_20_carbine/

Carnivore
10-07-2009, 11:14 PM
I saw some piston conversions for ARs at the gun show. Since it has kind of come up, what do people think of them. I have a bushmaster but not sure I want to drop 3 bills to convert it over.

technique
10-07-2009, 11:33 PM
I saw some piston conversions for ARs at the gun show. Since it has kind of come up, what do people think of them. I have a bushmaster but not sure I want to drop 3 bills to convert it over.

Tons of systems out there. I will tell you straight up and out right....converting is not the answer. You need a dedicated system if you want it worth your while.

johnrunner89
10-08-2009, 1:14 AM
I recommend a Stag. I got the pieces separate but basically put together their model 1 for about $900. Has never once given me a problem and eats every ammo and very accurate out of the box.

Acorn556
10-08-2009, 6:11 AM
Thanks for the quick feedback guys. I would like it for a sporting gun and of course personal protection. I saw a program on the Outdoor channel a while back about the M4, and how it was used as a sniper rifle....super accurate. That would be cool. DI or piston? Im not sure what that means. I truley am a greenhorn to the gun. I know that I would want it to be accurate on a consistant basis. Im thinking maybe a $1,000 budget. Wife says less LOL

For $1000 buy one. You'll have it all done at once and won't have to wait for parts. Pickup an M&P 15/RRA/Stag/DPMS and for that kind of money you should be good to go.

ANARCANGEL
10-08-2009, 6:21 AM
How do I go about buying one of these guns since they're not welcome in CA.? If I chose to buy "parts" would I need to use an FFL dealer? If I just go out and buy the weapon, it would have to be CA. leagal.....right?

JagerTroop
10-08-2009, 6:35 AM
How do I go about buying one of these guns since they're not welcome in CA.? If I chose to buy "parts" would I need to use an FFL dealer? If I just go out and buy the weapon, it would have to be CA. leagal.....right?

They are VERY "welcome" in California. There are many, many dealers out there that stock complete rifles.

Where are you located?

How do you go about buying one? Walk in and buy one ;)

kamagong
10-08-2009, 7:41 AM
Buy the best parts you can afford, especially if you are going to add accessories to your rifle at a later date. There's no point in adding $1000 in accessories on a cheap rifle.

For a first rifle, I'd suggest going with BCM parts. Excellent quality and customer service, and your rifle will be as good as you need it to be.

Greg-Dawg
10-08-2009, 7:52 AM
Get a
-Rock River Arms LAR-15 stripped lower from Ammo Bros.
-10/20-30 round P-Mags, DPMS lower parts kit and Raddlock mag button from MidwestPX.
-Charging handle assembly, Rock River Arms 6 stage collapsible stock and Bushmaster bolt carrier assembly from Brownells.
-M4 upper from Bravo Company.
-Eotech from Eotech or ACOG scopes from Trijicon.

Done.

missiontrails
10-08-2009, 8:22 AM
6 months ago, building was what we had to do, because there were NO rifles out there. Any reason you want to home build right now, when there are tons of rifles in stock everywhere? Factory rifles are warrantied as complete rifles, they are built by the manufacturer correctly the first time, and they have higher resale value incase you decide to go a different direction. You can still switch out stocks, forearms, sights etc. if you want to. Furthermore, you are NOT going to save money building compared to buying a complete rifle. There are GOOD rifles out there for $800-$900 right now, and just Excellent rifles out there for $1100-$1200.

10-08-2009, 8:25 AM
6 months ago, building was what we had to do, because there were NO rifles out there. Any reason you want to home build right now, when there are tons of rifles in stock everywhere? Factory rifles are warrantied as complete rifles, they are built my the manufacturer correctly the first time, and they have higher resale value incase you decide to go a different direction. You can still switch out stocks, forearms, sights etc. if you want to.

True.

Franken guns are cool, but it depends...I'd rather buy factory.

If it's the labor and effort, building is for you...

zman
10-08-2009, 8:57 AM
This should do the trick. They are Cali-friendly. Check it out!

http://www.ddsranch.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=277_290_551&products_id=684&zenid=igneijdr75ndhebb97u0ghe9h7

http://www.ddsranch.com/cart/images/M&PMOE.jpg

tomd1584
10-08-2009, 9:08 AM
6 months ago, building was what we had to do, because there were NO rifles out there. Any reason you want to home build right now, when there are tons of rifles in stock everywhere? Factory rifles are warrantied as complete rifles, they are built by the manufacturer correctly the first time, and they have higher resale value incase you decide to go a different direction. You can still switch out stocks, forearms, sights etc. if you want to. Furthermore, you are NOT going to save money building compared to buying a complete rifle. There are GOOD rifles out there for $800-$900 right now, and just Excellent rifles out there for $1100-$1200.

If you're going to switch out things like stock, rail, grip etc. why buy a complete rifle? spend the money once on the parts that YOU want. Plus Its a little easier on the wallet by buying things 1 piece at a time. Alot of people want to own a Ar-15, but dont have the $$ to drop $1000 (or more) in a single outing.

just my $.02

Gigan
10-08-2009, 9:24 AM
For me I am planning on building because of Money. I am not able to plunk down that amount at one time at the moment. So building is the best option for me right now. Good points brought up though.

bombadillo
10-08-2009, 9:35 AM
Piece it together and build the lower yourself. Once you do it, you'll have a much easier time understanding how it works and why all the pins go where they do. Once your lower is complete, all you have to do is either build an upper or buy the kind of complete upper you would like to have. You can easily do this from a lot of vendors many of whom are on this site. Figure out if you want a 16" collapsible stock AR or an A2 24" varmint gun and go from there. The lower and parts are all the same with the exception of trigger group. Good luck and use the search often.

spotter1
10-08-2009, 9:50 AM
For an entry level rifle, a DI is probably your best bet but to explain DI vs Piston, here's an animation diagram of a Direct Impingement M4 rifle vs. an HK416, which is a piston rifle.

http://www.armytimes.com/projects/flash/2007_02_20_carbine/

O.K. so, which complete upper is available in Kalifoninski that is like the HK416?
Where can you get them? Can you tell me the top 3 ? Thank you. Anybody?

mds2004
10-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Addax (located in CA, LA area)
Pof
LWRC

Theres quite a few out there. Just search AR piston upper

fliparch
10-08-2009, 10:44 AM
O.K. so, which complete upper is available in Kalifoninski that is like the HK416?
Where can you get them? Can you tell me the top 3 ? Thank you. Anybody?

http://www.lwrci.com/Technology/tabid/55/Default.aspx

Here's LWRC's short stroke piston...but I believe they have an updated system with a one piece bolt carrier, eliminating the need to stake the key and they also have an advance cam pin to eliminate the receiver groove issues found in some piston units.

They have a real nice setup. I'm gonna get their Bolt Carrier Upgrade kit for my rifle.

gun toting monkeyboy
10-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Building the lower is fun. And as they said, it teaches you about the gun. You can put together a complete lower, less the stock, for under $200. Easily. I leave assembling uppers to the pros though. I just buy them complete and slap them on my lower. You can get a decent basic upper for around $400 if you shop around. If you have the extra cash, get one from one of the higher end makers out there. If not, one of the lower end rifles should work for you until you can afford something better. Remember, you can always swap out your cheapy upper for a really good one later on. Do a search on here for cheapest AR build. We were looking into that a couple of weeks ago.

-Mb

Low-Pressure
10-08-2009, 2:22 PM
build it slowly, as money comes in buy stuff that you want. thats what i'm doing. riflegear.com has some lowers as low as $124.99 on sale right now. lpk is around $75. then parts after that is up to you if you want to stay on the cheap or personalize it you your preference. good luck and have fun on your build.

bombadillo
10-08-2009, 8:49 PM
Also, if you're looking for a great quality upper, check out Whiteoakarmament.com as they have some of the best stuff out there for the money. You can get a service rifle upper and use it for competition, a flat top 16,18,20,or 24" complete upper to suit pretty much all your needs and they're really reasonable too. They may have something to suit your fancy.