PDA

View Full Version : HSC Instructor

WFAInc
10-07-2009, 7:11 PM
Does it make sense that HSC Instructors are not exempt from the Safe Handeling Affdevit?

Capt. Speirs
10-07-2009, 9:18 PM
Does it make sense that HSC Instructors are not exempt from the Safe Handeling Affdevit?

Does it make sense? ...hmmm, what does in Kalifornia when it comes to gun laws.

The following qualify for HSC exempt status:

•Peace officer (active California)
•Peace officer (active federal)
•Peace officer (honorably retired California or federal)
•Reserve peace officer (as defined in Penal Code Section 832.6)
•Persons who have successfully completed P.O.S.T. 832 PC firearms training
•Federally licensed firearm collector who has a DOJ-issued COE who is acquiring a federally-defined curio/relic
•Person to whom a handgun is being returned, where he/she is the owner of the firearm
•Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) Permit Holder
•Military - active duty
•Military - honorably retired
•Military - active reserve
•Certain particular and limited authority peace officers
•Persons who hold a DOJ-issued special weapons permit
•Persons taking possession of firearms pursuant to specific conditions related to operation of law acquisitions
•Law enforcement service weapon passed to surviving family member

kemasa
10-08-2009, 9:02 AM
It does not make sense, but at least now FFLs are exempt from the waiting period. It was really stupid before that if you transferred a firearm to yourself, you had to keep it from yourself for 15 days (the waiting period at that point in time).

One question is with regard to the CCW. I need to check to see if the CCW is limited to CA.

WFAInc
10-08-2009, 12:58 PM
It's just wierd that I have to go to A certified DOJ Instructor to get my HSC Instructor certificate so that I can release handguns to my customers and still fill out the afadevit when I purchase my handgun. Maybe I should go take a P.O.S.T. 832 PC firearms training course and not worry about it.

kemasa
10-08-2009, 2:29 PM
Are you talking about doing the HSC when you transfer a firearm to yourself or when you purchase a firearm for yourself at another FFL?

WFAInc
10-08-2009, 4:36 PM
Are you talking about doing the HSC when you transfer a firearm to yourself or when you purchase a firearm for yourself at another FFL?

Would there be a difference. If I went to another FFL and showed them my HSC Instructor card, would I still have to sign the safe handeling affidavit?

Kruzr
10-08-2009, 5:34 PM
Many FFL's will just fill out the Demonstration affidavit if they see you have an instructor's card. I had a go-round with Ade on this last year. When I dros'ed the gun, the worker there just passed on the demo. I got a call from Ade to ask me to come in and do the demo. I told him to look at the copy of my card he had. He saw it was an instructor card and said it was OK, he didn't need me to come in. Two weeks later, he called again and we went through the same conversation. He called twice more before I told him I would give myself the test and mail him the affidavit. He said it wouldn't be necessary.

(I haven't seen anything in the law that says you can't give yourself the test and sign off on it.)

kemasa
10-09-2009, 11:12 AM
If you go to another place, then I believe that they would need to do it. There are different rules, like the waiting period, if you transfer it to yourself. It is strange though.