PDA

View Full Version : Orosco Ridge Cleanup cancelled

kgcabs
10-07-2009, 5:34 PM
Sorry. Just got notified late today that the clean up was cancelled.

Karl

Johnny?
10-07-2009, 9:57 PM
I thought Orosco is closed until Nov. 6. A couple of my friend and I will try to make it out.

Jk4Three
10-10-2009, 8:15 AM
Sounds good. I'm 83% sure I can make it. Know if the dumpster will be set up on site, or by the gate? If at the gate we could use a couple of flatbed trailers to get the loads out.

1siktkt
10-10-2009, 3:59 PM
If I don't have to work I'll be there after the kids soccer games, it'll be good to meet some other Calgunners.

CmpsdNoMore
10-10-2009, 7:05 PM
I'll be going from Vista (near Sycamore Ave). If anyone wants to carpool with me, send me a PM and we can work it out.

I've never been to the location before. Could someone post coordinates of where to meet or maybe a google map with markers?

Also,I don't have any rakes or other tools, but I can bring some trash bags if they're needed.

ciscollector
10-10-2009, 7:31 PM

I don't know if this helps because I know how to get there from memory but here is a .pdf of a topo or forest service map I downloaded from Yahoo groups shooting san diego.

loather
10-10-2009, 8:06 PM
It's back open -- I was just up there today. Man, there is *so* *much* *trash* up there. It's kind of embarrassing, to be honest.

Unfortunately my mom is coming into town that weekend and I won't be able to help. So, next time I head up there I'll bring down a load of trash in the back of the truck. :)

If plans change and my mom doesn't come down, count on me being there to help.

scoutsniper687
10-11-2009, 7:44 AM
It's back open -- I was just up there today.

Can anyone confirm or deny? (just a simple yes its open will work..dont steal this thread)

Jk4Three
10-11-2009, 7:56 AM
I think I'll get out there today (if my wife let's me). Here's my confirmation:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/recreation/shooting/index.shtml

L4D
10-11-2009, 11:27 AM
whats the best way to get there north of the 52?

Johnny?
10-11-2009, 1:12 PM
give them a call
http://shooting.forsandiego.com/Ranges.html#orsa

loather
10-11-2009, 5:25 PM
From north of 52, you have two choices.

1) Go through poway/rancho bernardo to 67 and take that to Ramona. Turn left on 78 (at the Arco station). From there, you'll want to turn right on Haverford Road.. It'll turn into Pamo road. Pass the dump, then keep going. On the left, there will be a sign and a gate. Follow the dirt road from there.

2) Take 78 past the wild animal park and up the road into Ramona. Turn left on Haverford road, then follow the rest of the directions above.

Enjoy!

ciscollector
10-11-2009, 6:44 PM
I live in Tierrasanta and usually go scrips poway parkway to the 67 to ramona, then left at the arco....(direction as above)

L4D
10-11-2009, 7:01 PM
Cool, not too far out there for me.

scoutsniper687
10-12-2009, 7:46 AM
I have me +2 so far.............

any equipment that would be useful? Gloves? Shovels? Trash Grabbers? Trash Bags?

rumblebee
10-13-2009, 12:45 PM

I'm 90% sure i can make th cleanup date as well :cool:

I think I'll get out there today (if my wife let's me). Here's my confirmation:

rumblebee
10-13-2009, 12:47 PM
I thought I saw a post that stated no rakes, shovels\etc? They didn't want to have lead dust getting up?

Karl...would you happen to know if this is this still case?

I have me +2 so far.............

any equipment that would be useful? Gloves? Shovels? Trash Grabbers? Trash Bags?

kgcabs
10-20-2009, 9:37 AM
I thought I saw a post that stated no rakes, shovels\etc? They didn't want to have lead dust getting up?

Karl...would you happen to know if this is this still case?

You are correct.

Johnny?
10-20-2009, 10:15 AM
What should we bring??

Macadelic4
10-20-2009, 6:18 PM
Why must these events always be scheduled on days when I'm busy?!?!?! First the zombie shoot and now this? FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-

I'm rooting for you guys - Orosco is a great spot that needs preserving. Thanks for doing this!

TwitchALot
10-25-2009, 6:06 PM
I can't make it for the cleanup or any trips until late December. :(

jnojr
10-29-2009, 12:27 PM
I am planning on making it. I live near Fashion Valley and could give rides to anyone near me or on the way! Please email my user ID here at Yahoo or ping me on the SDShooting group, as I'm really bad about noticing IMs on bulleting boards :)

Glock21sfsd
10-29-2009, 6:26 PM
should we bring anything with us i.e. trash bags or anything else
Also will we be shooting at all?

Thanks

Johnny?
10-29-2009, 7:29 PM
Do we ignore people who is shooting there or tell them to leave while we are cleaning up??

CmpsdNoMore
10-30-2009, 5:03 AM
Good questions to know in the last two posts.

I live in Vista (near Sycamore Ave). If anyone wants to carpool with me, send me a PM and we can figure something out.
I've never been to Orosco Ridge before, so no guarantee a few U-turns won't be required.:D

Jn316
10-31-2009, 7:50 AM
Heres your answwerThis is the email I just got from Eric:

Karl, here is the latest with the cleanup at Orosco Ridge. We are set for November the 7th at 0900. This is a Saturday, hopefully with cooler weather and when most people are on a day off . We are planning to have a dumpster, rest-room's and a wash station available. Also when the weather cools down or the Fire Danger Levels are lowered we would like to open the shooting area back up. I look forward to meeting and working with you and your group in the near future. Any questions or concerns please feel free to call me. Thank You, Eric.

Mark your calenders.

Thanks, Karl

Pavman27
11-01-2009, 1:39 PM
Checking on Johnny's post.. I will be coming with another shooting buddy. My first time at a range cleanup.

Should we bring anything ? I saw the post regarding no rakes or shovels.
I assume sturdy gloves will make sense. Do we need trash bags or perhaps a wheelbarrow ?

Mezcalfud
11-01-2009, 2:53 PM
I am in O'side off of 76 and Douglas and can take 1 person +1 if willing to cram into the extra cab? email me mezcalfud@yahoo.com

I have never been either and am a moron with navigation!

Jk4Three
11-01-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm good for 4 hours on the 7th. I don't understand about the "no-rakes" rule. I'm bringing a small one and they have been used there before (see link). Too hard on the back to bend down for hours picking up shells by hand. Anyway, looking forward to it and I hope we don't loose the place. Get the word out !

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/news/2004/04/0404oroscocu.shtml

Brown Rock
11-02-2009, 7:52 AM
I'm good for 4 hours on the 7th. I don't understand about the "no-rakes" rule. I'm bringing a small one and they have been used there before (see link). Too hard on the back to bend down for hours picking up shells by hand. Anyway, looking forward to it and I hope we don't loose the place. Get the word out !

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/news/2004/04/0404oroscocu.shtml
Same here. I used a rake when I was up there in July. After I was done shooting, I had myself a little clean up party. :)

Twinkies
11-03-2009, 9:30 AM
Do we ignore people who is shooting there or tell them to leave while we are cleaning up??

Palomar's automated system says the range will be closed on Saturday
for cleanup... Id love to join you guys.. I was actually planning on it,
but they had to pick one of the few saturdays Im working.

For you guys that need directions... from the 78 take a left on
Main St (67). Go a mile or two, take a left on Magnolia (you will see a big yellow sign letting you know its coming up), go a mile or so, Left on Pile,
go till it ends into Pamo, take a right. You'll pass the dump, go another
half mile or so, and see a thick steel white gate to the left where you
enter. There is currently no lock on it...
Watch out for cattle at the bottom, finish your coffee at this point, and proceed up to the top of the windey dirt road while railing some sweet *** berms.
I'd recommend driving your truck, or parking at the bottom after you enter the gate and getting a ride from there. You can make it in a stock height car if youre careful, but some of the dips are a little rough.

rumblebee
11-03-2009, 10:48 AM
I know we're trying to get a clean up here....but, posting directions is only going to get more unwanted visitors (who don't clean up after themselves) up there. You don't have to be a CG member, to view these directions.. just a thought :shifty:

L4D
11-03-2009, 4:07 PM
What time exactly will the clean up be starting?

edit: nevermind, saw it.

Twinkies
11-03-2009, 10:00 PM
I know we're trying to get a clean up here....but, posting directions is only going to get more unwanted visitors (who don't clean up after themselves) up there. You don't have to be a CG member, to view these directions.. just a thought :shifty:

I posted directions because there are a couple people interested in helping that have never been to Orosco Ridge and were asking for directions...
The place is pretty trashed already.. and its really no secret.. anybody
can find a basic map for it or call the Palomar office...
Youre right.. you dont need to be a CG member to get my directions or any other directions there... but if theres CG members here that might be interested in going, and they make the drive and cant find it, or are turned away by some rough terrain because they took their 350Z, Id rather them be prepared.

Much thanks to whoever is part of the cleanup effort!

Getoffthecomputer
11-05-2009, 10:23 AM
I just saw this about the cleanup being cancelled.

Just thought I would report what I found. Not that the forest service was going to be that involved, but I don't know if that means the area will be closed off on Saturday. I have been wanting to check this place out, and I would love to attend a cleanup, but I work weekends. Regardless, I was going to bring a trash bin and a few bags when I get out there.

If someone sets up a monday, or wednesday cleanup you can count me in.

CmpsdNoMore
11-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Huh, I wonder what the "health and safety concerns" are.

I was planning on going there to shoot next week sometime between Wednesday or Friday. The day depends on when my new Tech Sight get delivered.

If anyone wants to meet then for a little shoot and then clean up, I'd be down for that.

Johnny?
11-05-2009, 12:28 PM
So is there still going be a clean up??? maybe the "health and safety concern" is for people that is not going there for the clean up??

Jk4Three
11-05-2009, 1:35 PM
Today I had a 10 minute conversation with Joan Friedlander, the Ranger in charge of the Orosco area. She forwarded me the notice of cancelation:

It is with great regret that today I have to cancel the Orosco Ridge Target Shooting Area cleanup that is scheduled for this upcoming Saturday, November 7, 2009.
I will do my best to explain what led to my decision today to cancel this event that so many of you have invested your valuable time.
The concerns that lead to the need to cancel the event revolve around the type of protective equipment that must be worn when working in areas that have hazardous materials such as lead and/or antimony. These can be absorbed through handling and/or or through breathing dust in areas where these metals are concentrated. Unfortunately, we cannot simply provide masks to mitigate exposure as this would be a violation of OSHA requirements.
I am not comfortable in placing either you or my employees in a situation where the health risks from exposure are “uncertain” and necessary protective equipment cannot be used.
We will do every thing we can to get information about the cancellation to volunteers. We have changed our voice message at the office and have changed the Forest web site to get the word out. I ask all of you to help us inform others that this weekend’s cleanup is cancelled. I have my staff assisting with calling back any volunteers that we have phone numbers for to ensure they do not show up on Saturday. Further, we will be at Orosco Ridge this Saturday to meet any volunteers who did not get the word on the cancellation. I sincerely apologize to the San Diego County Gun Rights and Cal Guns--that I put in terrible positions of having worked so hard on this event only for me to cancel it at the last minute.
So what does this mean for the future? Orosco will be open for shooting this Saturday. As many of you know, the District is undertaking a management review of Orosco Ridge Target Shooting Area as we do feel that it needs to be better managed. We will likely kick off this effort in January. Immediate safety concerns revolve around areas where the lead has landed, not where the brass has landed. Further, I want you all to know that the Forest Service goes into this management review with no bias towards or against the use of the area for shooting. We do believe it needs to be managed differently than it is today and will work closely with interested parties to develop a management plan that best serves the public, while providing for the care of the natural ecosystem.
Again, please accept my sincere apologies for the late notification of our canceling this cleanup.
If you need further information, please call us. Debbie Hobbs and I are in the best position to address your concerns or answer questions. I can be reached at 760-788-0250 (ext 3324) or by e-mail at jfriedlander@fs.fed.us and Debbie can be reached at 760-788-0250 (ext. 3327), or by dshobbs@fs.fed.us.
Sincerely,
Joan Friedlander
District Ranger, Palomar Ranger District, Cleveland National Forest

CmpsdNoMore
11-05-2009, 1:50 PM
Good to know.

Glock21sfsd
11-05-2009, 5:31 PM
So the it will be open for shooting on Saturday?

CmpsdNoMore
11-05-2009, 6:03 PM
According to the letter JK4three quoted:

"Orosco will be open for shooting this Saturday."

loather
11-06-2009, 12:57 PM
I can see where this one is going. Thanks to all the inconsiderate people who left their trash out there, we'll very likely lose one of the last public shooting areas in san diego now.

This makes it all the more important for those of us who *do* go out there on even an infrequent basis to bring home more trash than we came with. The inconsiderate asshats will always be there, but the more responsible of us need to pick up the slack trash for those who are too lazy to do so.

As an added bonus, you drive *right past* the Ramona landfill on the way in/out. Convenient, innit? Consider the $30 you spend to dump a load of shooting range waste a usage fee for the area. Even if everyone with a truck did this *once* per season, it'd be a whole lot better off.

And for all you who leave your trash out there (and you know who you are):

CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELVES, YOU SLOBS.

</rant>

*sigh*

rumblebee
11-06-2009, 1:18 PM
Yeah....this is the line that's going to kill this place-

Further, I want you all to know that the Forest Service goes into this management review with no bias towards or against the use of the area for shooting.

You know damn well, it's going to play a part in the outcome.. :eek:

littlejohn97
11-06-2009, 1:21 PM
Based on the Ranger's verbiage, it sounds as if she has a good feeling about us taking on the cleanup. She's in the ol' Government bind. If she lets us go out there and someone (remember, this is Kalifornia) decides to sue over the OSHA violation, her head and position on the ladder of success may suffer. I wouldn't tell her to do something with such repercussions.

But it does sound like she isn't against us. And, in the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to haul something out every time we go in.

John

Jk4Three
11-06-2009, 5:11 PM
Littlejohn -

I had a conversation with the Ranger and I posted her cancelation notice. I think her action to cancel the cleanup was unwarrented. There have been many successful cleanups, including Orosco in the past, and she alone decided to cancel with less than a week to go. She said she could have issued a warning and had us sign a waver, but decided against this. So, we as adults, were not given the option.

Additionally she said Orosco will be reviewed, likely in January, for an expensive contracted cleanup (her words) including bringing in topsoil to cover the existing soil and maybe a pay to shoot set up like San Bernadino. To me this more likely means closure.

Bottom line, we could have made a difference, yet we were not give the chance, by one persons decision (Kalifornia style). Read any motive here? Anyone want to debate the chance of lead poisoning from a one day cleanup - damn near zero for an adult.

Call, write and complain.

taloft
11-06-2009, 7:03 PM
Wow, was somebody advocating doing lead reclamation during the cleanup? I find the language of this letter somewhat troubling. Once they determine that they need to "Manage" the area better, then they can say they don't have the budget to do so. Since they can't afford the manpower, the only alternative will be to close the site. Doesn't look good from my point of view.

Czechsix
11-06-2009, 7:57 PM
My feeling is that Orosco is basically done within the next year.

It definitely wasn't a place I go to shoot, only went once and that was enough for me - but as it's still one of the few open areas available here, it'll be a shame to lose it.

Purple K
11-06-2009, 8:06 PM
Us Calgunners can be a resourceful lot as seen by the AB585/SB962 efforts. This should be no different. I have access to dust masks, respirators, tyvek suits, etc. I'm sure that there are others on this forum that have the same or simular resources and training. We can make this happen with the right planning. Lead particulates aren't particularly small and are easily protected against.

scoutsniper687
11-07-2009, 6:11 AM
Im stil going......to shoot....and ill pick up some trash by my own free will.

16in50calNavalRifle
11-07-2009, 10:16 AM
JK4Three and taloft, my thinking is similar.

First, let me share my utter disgust and complete lack of surprise that this ruinous combination of approaches (top-down/nanny state, absurd over-reaction to "threats" from brief exposure to certain toxic items) has pre-empted effective action by responsible citizens.

Second, it's hard to see, in today's surreal America and beyond-surreal CA, that this doesn't mean closure.

Given the idiotic premises, what's the escape from this chain:

* too toxic to walk around and pick up trash with gloves, must be too toxic to walk around shooting

* too dangerous to let citizens clean it up for free

* no money to contract for a wildly over-cautious clean-up

* therefore, must close the area

Just to cap it off, how outrageous is it that despite the willingness of Americans to step up and get something done (see PurpleK's great post above), the idiocy of some users (those trashing the place) and the collapse of common sense and other qualities in public administration will likely doom yet another small amenity to the SD community?

fairfaxjim
11-07-2009, 1:40 PM
the District is undertaking a management review of Orosco Ridge Target Shooting Area as we do feel that it needs to be better managed.

Translation - We will determine that the best way to manage this area is to shut it down!
Unfortunately, we cannot simply provide masks to mitigate exposure as this would be a violation of OSHA requirements.

This is BS - the O in OSHA stands for "Occupational" No one is doing this as part of their occupation. I love the way our government agencies like to play loose and fancy with the laws when it helps them. Just try it when it will help you and see how that goes. She could easily have her staff draft an informed consent/hold harmless type of waiver with some realistic basic guidlines for cleaning up safely. She doesn't want all of these "gunnies" to look good and proactive when she closes the area.

Purple K
11-07-2009, 2:33 PM
If we don't tell them that we're doing a clean up, and we don't ask them to provide a dumpster, and we just happen to show up with a few pick-up trucks, and we do a bit of cleaning up they'll be none the wiser.

Seesm
11-07-2009, 7:39 PM
I say clean it or have it closed... So can you blame the antis for us tearing up the landscape... I just posted a rant about this... CLEAN fast as you can so it stays open.

Just show up with bags and people and do it... No guns so they never know you were there. When they come to "review" they are like "huh weird it is good, all gone huh nothing to see here"

Purple K
11-07-2009, 8:06 PM
I say clean it or have it closed... So can you blame the antis for us tearing up the landscape... I just posted a rant about this... CLEAN fast as you can so it stays open.

Just show up with bags and people and do it... No guns so they never know you were there. When they come to "review" they are like "huh weird it is good, all gone huh nothing to see here"

"Stealth Mode"

Jk4Three
11-08-2009, 9:32 AM
I'm new to shooting, first year I've bought a gun, first year at Orosco. To me this is worth a letter to Forestry Service supervisors. This cleanup was initiated in the summer and could have drawn over +50 volunteers who could have loaded out a couple hundred pounds each. We got canceled with less than a week to go and never got the chance to make a significant difference. The reasons were "Osha" (which doesn't apply) and "Health and Safety" (addressable by a simple waiver). We did not need FS help, just a day of closure and a couple of dumpsters. FWIW I will find out who to write to and post it on Calguns. It would be good for everyone else to do the same, also bring out more trash and I would suggest a sign at the gate: "Orosco Will Close If Trash Is Not Packed Out".

16in50calNavalRifle
11-08-2009, 9:40 AM
Jk4Three - I like your approach. I'll certainly add my own letter when you ID the appropriate addressee.

Also, I've not yet been to Orosco (the clean-up was going to be my introduction), but does the layout and terrain allow for an "informal" clean-up to take place? That is, a day on which a large number of us clean up specific areas in an organized way, without fear of being the line of fire for those using their bullet-launchers? If so, we could "stealth" clean the place, sector by sector.

I also endorse the sign idea. Of course it will be peppered with bullet holes in no time, correct? By the same idiots who are the problem here to begin with.

Aside from this, some others above have suggested something that is similar to what scuba divers do in some heavily-dived and abused reef areas. They pursue their recreation, while at the same time bringing up/out any trash they find. Seems that approach - bring out three large trash bags every time you visit, add nothing yourself to the mess - should have an effect, if 90% of people take that route. I'm not familiar with the mess out there - paper/cardboard/plastic trash sounds easy, but I'm not sure about machinery, heavier wood items, etc.

Maybe a slight tweak on the sign idea would be "Please Take Two Bags and Pack Out Your Trash Plus Somebody Else's to Keep Orsosco Open" with a couple of boxes of large trash bags left there in a plastic trash can for people to use. Perhaps impractical for lots of reasons - just trying to come up with solutions here.

kgcabs
11-08-2009, 7:13 PM
Sorry for the unavoidable late response.

I think it's a great idea to try to clean up Orosco Ridge on our own. I mentioned the signage issue to the BLM and was told it would be discussed.

In the meantime, I will keep in touch with Joan Friedlander and try to let her know how we at CGs feel about keeping Orosco Ridge open.

Thanks, Karl

Noraku81
11-08-2009, 8:51 PM
[QUOTE=loather;3324809]
And for all you who leave your trash out there (and you know who you are):

CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELVES, YOU SLOBS.

</rant>

Amen to that. I'm tired of seeing things that shouldn't even be out there: bowling pins, propane tanks, TVs, computers. You go through all that trouble to haul it up there to shoot at it and you don't even have the common courtesy of picking it back up and throwing it away? Idiots.

Johnny?
11-08-2009, 9:32 PM
Wented up there to shoot today, Area where we shot at was a mess, shotgun shell everywhere, what's so hard about raking the shell in a pile and put it in a bag?? before we left, we picked about 5 bag of shotgun shell and some wood.

Getoffthecomputer
11-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Went out today. First time there. It was a mess. A great area to shoot though. I took out 2 30gal trash bags, and a trash bin weighing about 200 lbs of computers and monitors. This stuff is gonna kill this place. Not only is there a lead problem but computers have mercury in them I believe. I felt like I was doing a good deed, but honestly I barely made a dent in the site I was parked at. This place needs what I did, about 50 times a day, for months.

Glock21sfsd
11-13-2009, 4:25 PM
Is there a way a bunch of us could just get together and do it with out the involvement of the FS. I mean if we all meet there before the place even opened up one morning and we all drove up and took up a bunch of spots we could just load up and be gone.

Any other ideas?

CmpsdNoMore
11-13-2009, 5:27 PM
I may go out there tomorrow morning to shoot some .22 and try out my new shotgun. If I go I'll spend some time cleaning up what I can get in a reasonable time and fit into the trunk of my car.

jnojr
11-14-2009, 7:05 PM
1) There's got to be some kind of forum where we can speak up about this. Public comment periods, etc. We need to find out who is talking about Orosco Ridge and when, and then spread the word to get as many of us as possible to attend, or send letters.

2) If an "unofficial" cleanup is planned, someone please post to the SDShooting list. I'd want to know about it.

CmpsdNoMore
11-14-2009, 10:57 PM
SD shooting list?
link please

Getoffthecomputer
11-15-2009, 6:32 PM
count me in, but my schedule is weird. I can only go up there on Mondays and wednesdays. I don't want to be there on a weekend anyway. I hear it gets crowded. If you drive a truck, just bring a few garbage bags with you. It really doesn't take long to fill a couple bags. There is soooo much trash.

Pavman27
11-16-2009, 1:59 PM
Question:

What is the best approach to help cleanup the range? Should we try small cleanup crews with guys and pickup trucks? Or do we want to try and get a big cleaning party going? Assuming we can get calguns supporters involved, what kind of equipment would we need? 10 or 40 yard container?

Can we realistically make a dent against the hundreds of idiots that cart in all the trash but refuse to cart it out? I agree we need to do something. Kitchen creek was a lot of fun until they closed it down. I'd love to post something explaining the situation, but the damn idiots would probably just shoot the damn sign.

Casual_Shooter
11-17-2009, 9:21 AM
SD shooting list?
link please

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but here you go:

Casual_Shooter
11-17-2009, 9:26 AM
We try to pack out some trash whenever we go to a range, but we almost never have room for much in our smallish SUV. Once we pack our stuff- chairs, targets, tables etc, there is room for a couple of large trash bags.

Sounds like this place needs a dump truck or a couple of commercial size dumpsters.

Unfortunately, if there are a lot of monitors and such, the rules have changed about dumping them. Perhaps the landfill has the facilities to handle it.

Jk4Three
11-19-2009, 5:14 PM
Problem is we need Ranger support to close the range to shooting for the day, or even half day. I get nervous just changing my targets let alone walking around with a bag and a rake with bullets flying. Also, having a dumpster provided by the forest service is nice too.

I'm going to write a letter. I'll post a copy later and provide contact addresses if anyone else wants to do the same. A sign at the gate to Orosco could help some too.

Full Clip
12-11-2009, 1:32 PM
Hope there is movement on this. I'd make the drive down.

180ls1
12-15-2009, 10:22 AM
I will talk to the ranger next time i see her, the lady i have seen there seems to be nice but a little slow. I just wish they would open up the dump right there and i could make a couple of trips since it is so close.

Purple K
12-21-2009, 2:25 AM
Went out today. First time there. It was a mess. A great area to shoot though. I took out 2 30gal trash bags, and a trash bin weighing about 200 lbs of computers and monitors. This stuff is gonna kill this place. Not only is there a lead problem but computers have mercury in them I believe. I felt like I was doing a good deed, but honestly I barely made a dent in the site I was parked at. This place needs what I did, about 50 times a day, for months.

Thanks for the great effort!!! Mercury and lead, just like asbestos are naturally occuring elements. Just don't eat the dirt or debri and you should be fine.

Jayruta
12-23-2009, 6:29 PM
Any Update on this? I'm willing to volunteer some time to get this area cleaned up.... Why not just set up a meet-up and "Occupy" One of the shooting area's/chutes and clean it up. One area at a time and eventually we can get it all cleaned.

ciscollector
12-23-2009, 7:18 PM
I was up there last Friday and was amazed at how horrible it looked. I took out three huge trash bags of stuff in my SUV. I want to get my f250 with 8' bed up there with some help from fellow hobbyists and see if I can fill it up with trash. If I can get up there in the next two weeks over the holidays with the truck I will let people know on this board so I can get some assistance.

Jayruta
12-23-2009, 7:38 PM
Monday or Tuesdays I'm Available ciscollector, let me know if your going to go. Hopefully more people would be willing to commit and we can get "Unofficial Clean Up going" maybe have a BBQ and clean up party. Like i said 1 shooting chute at a time and it will get cleaned for the time being. I will even leave a little sign, "Cleaned by your Friends @ Calguns.net" (Who cares if they shoot the sign.)

Johnny?
12-23-2009, 10:10 PM
having a clean up meet sound good!! give me a week or 2 in notice and I can gather a few friend and join the cleaning party.