PDA

View Full Version : The ignorant speak.

taloft
06-16-2005, 3:59 PM
Hi Folks,

I just got a response from one of our assemblymembers about a letter I sent opposing ab352. Here is what the brain trust in Sacramento had to say:

"Dear Friend:

Thank you for your letter regarding AB 352, the Firearms Microstamping bill.

As an elected official, my first priority has always been to accurately represent the views of my constituents. Over the past few months, I have heard from many of you expressing grave concerns as well as support in regards to this legislation. I apologize for the delay in responding to you.

Ultimately, I believe this bill will help prevent crime and murder. Microstamping will help law enforcement in their investigations bringing them one step closer to arresting the responsible individual/s.

AB 352 has passed through the Assembly and is currently in the Senate. Thank you again for your time and consideration. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions on this or another issue.

Sincerely,
Jerome E. Horton"

I don't even know where to start describing what is wrong with this statement.

I'm just glad that there was no micro stamping prior to my gun getting stolen. With my luck they'd be at the door with a warrant for me because John Thief killed John Q. Public with with my stolen pistol.http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I'll let you folks do the ranting for me.

Charliegone
06-16-2005, 6:00 PM
"Ultimately, I believe this bill will help prevent crime and murder. Microstamping will help law enforcement in their investigations bringing them one step closer to arresting the responsible individual/s."

Thats all he said? Isn't much of a convincing argument (if it was that). I guess they haven't really considered alllll the things a criminal can do to avoid getting caught, they would go as far as to even put some shells by some other gun so the other guy gets blamed. I can hear the gestapo knocking on my door...

RRangel
06-16-2005, 6:39 PM
Originally posted by taloft:
Hi Folks,

I just got a response from one of our assemblymembers about a letter I sent opposing ab352. Here is what the brain trust in Sacramento had to say:

"Dear Friend:

Thank you for your letter regarding AB 352, the Firearms Microstamping bill.

As an elected official, my first priority has always been to accurately represent the views of my constituents. Over the past few months, I have heard from many of you expressing grave concerns as well as support in regards to this legislation. I apologize for the delay in responding to you.

Ultimately, I believe this bill will help prevent crime and murder. Microstamping will help law enforcement in their investigations bringing them one step closer to arresting the responsible individual/s.

AB 352 has passed through the Assembly and is currently in the Senate. Thank you again for your time and consideration. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions on this or another issue.

Sincerely,
Jerome E. Horton"

I don't even know where to start describing what is wrong with this statement.

I'm just glad that there was no micro stamping prior to my gun getting stolen. With my luck they'd be at the door with a warrant for me because John Thief killed John Q. Public with with my stolen pistol.http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I'll let you folks do the ranting for me.

I'd contact my rep again, it can't hurt. That statement is preposterous as far as I'm concerned.

These legislators in Sacramento are so out of whack we're all in trouble. Now you know why this state has been in so much financial trouble. People who pass this garbage excuse for a bill are running this state.

taloft
06-16-2005, 7:11 PM
I can just see the police doing a half-*** ballistics check because they are just "sure" that the microstamped cartridge at the scene is irrefutable.

The funny thing is that according to the NRA a lot of police associations are against this bill as well.

Since the bill already passed the assembly, I'm not going to waste my time rehashing the issue with this particular individual. However, I will continue to write to him about other bills still in the works. If this bill gets dropped at some other level, and reappears in another form I'll write him again. I let my vote do most of the talking.

icormba
06-16-2005, 7:43 PM
simple reply...

"will criminals be required to buy these new Micro stamping firearms"?

"and/or will criminals be aloud to buy these new micro stamping firearms?"

perry1963
06-17-2005, 6:46 AM
I got the same response, he says "prevent crime" but the microstamp won't be seen until after the crime has been commited, it's too late then even if it does help in catching the perp. it's not going to prevent anything, i e-mailed him back explaining this with a few hypos and asked him to please tell me what crime it will "prevent" since this bill, if it was any good, would be for after the fact invetegating of a crime, and thats only if the weapon is fired.

Spotted Owl
06-17-2005, 6:54 AM
they would go as far as to even put some shells by some other gun so the other guy gets blamed. I can hear the gestapo knocking on my door...
If this passes (god forbid), it will give us all a really strong incentive to pick up our brass at the range...

Spotted Owl
06-17-2005, 7:07 AM
I've already written to my Assemblymember, but for those who haven't, here's something else to mention in your letter.

Maryland tried something similar a few years ago, and it was a dismal failure. They required manufacturers to send a fired case to the state for each handgun sold in Maryland. The theory was that police could match the unique markings on cases found at crime scenes with the database of fired cases.

As it turns out, the state spent millions of dollars on this program and it didn't result in a single solved crime.

delloro
06-17-2005, 7:21 AM
Originally posted by taloft:
Hi Folks,

you really think Jerome Horton is ignorant?

06-17-2005, 9:43 AM
Originally posted by perry1963:
I got the same response, he says "prevent crime" but the microstamp won't be seen until after the crime has been commited, it's too late then even if it does help in catching the perp. it's not going to prevent anything, i e-mailed him back explaining this with a few hypos and asked him to please tell me what crime it will "prevent" since this bill, if it was any good, would be for after the fact invetegating of a crime, and thats only if the weapon is fired.

Perry, you're absolutely right. This bill will do nothing...nothing, to prevent crime. That is like the argument that PSA checks prevent prostate cancer. No they don't. They just help you to be diagnosed sooner. I hardly think a microstamp will "prevent" a single crime.

Furhtermore, and perhaps more important, this bill will not work to help LEO investigate gun crimes. I mean come on, we know that the vast majority of gun crimes are committed with weapons that were stolen or purchased illegally. What makes the assemblycritters in Sac think that if bad guys can illegally buy guns that they wouldn't be able to illegaly purchase unserialized ammo? How hard would it be for an out-of-his-trunk gun peddler to go to Nevada, buy a bunch of unserialized ammo and sell it along with the guns? How long would it take for enterprising criminals to set up small scale underground ammo manufacturing facilities to sell on the black market? Even if they did find a serialized bullet or casing at a crime scene it does not mean that the individual who originally bought the ammo did the crime. The ammo could have been stolen. A box of ammo might have been lost. There are so many reasons that this measure will not work in the real world. But we have to remember that many of the wackos in Sacto don't live in the real world.

imported_dadoody
06-18-2005, 5:02 PM
Anyone here ever known anyone with gang or mafia affliations?

Those sucks get just about any kind of gun they want...

What will be funny is that now when a firearm is used in legal self-defense, there's nothing but a heavy weight on the defender, while career criminals will be free and clear.

In any case, our politicians are bastards. They're the same people who put us in our current fisical deficit, and yet we continue to let them sign all sorts of stuff that limits our defense and economic growth.

zot
06-22-2005, 1:38 AM
So does this bill also have a provision that every single car coming across interstate borders will be stopped and searched for ammunition?

Does it even require the border checkpoints to ask people if they have any ammunition?

We can't stop drugs from coming into this country. We can't stop bails of marijuana from Canada being driven down through Oregon. How the hell are we going to stop criminals from importing ammunition from other states?

06-22-2005, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Zot:
So does this bill also have a provision that every single car coming across interstate borders will be stopped and searched for ammunition?

Does it even require the border checkpoints to ask people if they have any ammunition?

We can't stop drugs from coming into this country. We can't stop bails of marijuana from Canada being driven down through Oregon. How the hell are we going to stop criminals from importing ammunition from other states?

BINGOYou win a prize.