PDA

View Full Version : Another C&R holder joins the ranks today...

razorx
10-07-2009, 5:33 PM
9 days from time application was mailed to receipt of C&R license in mail. That is really fast.

I submitted the COE app on the same date, clock is still ticking...

UPDATE: Clock stopped ticking on COE. Was received today with postmark of 10/12, eight days after receipt of C&R for those interested in timings.

Definitely have appreciated the good threads and responses to my questions on what a C&R license plus COE can do for you which helped me finally decide to get one. Of course, special mention must be made for DeLeon, without AB962, I might still be waiting to pull the trigger. So to speak.

Brianguy
10-07-2009, 5:36 PM
wow 9 days!!! I mailed mine monday; maybe I can beat your record :D

ke6guj
10-07-2009, 5:37 PM
wow, the C&R beat the COE. Hadn't seen that happen before.

reidnez
10-07-2009, 5:40 PM
That is unbelievably fast! It took me about a month just to get my green forms in the mail (fortunately I picked up a set from a CGer in the meantime.) About six weeks to receive the license back.

So including mail time to-and-from (the office is in Atlanta IIRC), that's only 4-5 days that it took them to process it. Outstanding! Hopefully others will continue to have your luck.

Your next steps:
1) Apologize to your checkbook beforehand.
2) Make a stack of copies. Sign them and send to Midway, AIM, Brownell's and whomever else you feel like so they have it on file. Most, but not all, will now accept them electronically (they may want a scan of your I.D. as well)

razorx
10-07-2009, 6:36 PM
I have been looking at Tokarev pistols for awhile now... :D

Now, just re-reading all of the threads (with conflicting info) on legality of purchasing C&R handguns (50+) via mail order. Would be nice to have a definitive FAQ ala flowchart similar to other diagrams onsite.

joefrank64k
10-07-2009, 8:59 PM
I have been looking at Tokarev pistols for awhile now... :D

Now, just re-reading all of the threads (with conflicting info) on legality of purchasing C&R handguns (50+) via mail order. Would be nice to have a definitive FAQ ala flowchart similar to other diagrams onsite.

Congrats on the speedy FFL! And start making room for all the rifles that will come your way!!! :D

Head on over to http://www.empirearms.com/ and scroll down on the left and click on "special rules for California FFL's"...Dennis lays it out clearly.

That COE is nice...only one trip to the 01 FFL to DROS when you have a C&R handgun shipped-in, and no worries about how many handguns (C&R or not) you're buying in a month...in the last 30-days I've bought a Nagant revolver, TT-33, and FN Five Seven and only had to wait 10-days on the Five Seven! :D

ColdDeadHands1
10-07-2009, 9:19 PM
What kind of discounts do Brownells, Midway, etc offer for 03 FFL holders?

I'm working on my license, but not because of the discount... That's just an added bonus.

ke6guj
10-07-2009, 9:21 PM
discounts vary depending on the item. I've seen discounts in the 20+% range, and other times I've seen discounts in the 1-2% range on the low end.

joefrank64k
10-07-2009, 9:54 PM
What kind of discounts do Brownells, Midway, etc offer for 03 FFL holders?

I'm working on my license, but not because of the discount... That's just an added bonus.

The discounts EASILY pay for the $10/year cost of the 03 FFL. Every shooter should have one, if only for the discount! :D

bplvr
10-07-2009, 9:56 PM
Buy TWO BIG safes. Trust me. Take out 3 new credit cards in your wife's name . Not married ?, get married. Put all the guns in your name. Trust me.
Calgunners will send you a list of the first 200 guns to buy. Buy them. I hope this helped. You are now infected with C.M.S.C.D.

:party:

razorx
10-07-2009, 10:07 PM
...Head on over to http://www.empirearms.com/ and scroll down on the left and click on "special rules for California FFL's"...Dennis lays it out clearly.

Definitely thanks for the link, that seems to spell out every situation. I am going to call CA DOJ this week and get clarification on mail order handguns though no matter what they say, doubt I will trust it.

razorx
10-07-2009, 10:08 PM
I have a third bedroom that could get converted into a "safe"... yeah... wonder why I haven't thought of that before? :D

razorx
10-09-2009, 2:06 PM
Called DOJ today and per her statement, mail order of C&R handguns directly to your home is not allowed kind of contradicts an earlier post in another thread.

Also, ATF has directed DOJ that the C&R license is not to be "used" for anything else other than C&R per voice conversation, nothing documented. This statement was made in context of discussion on purchasing of more than one handgun (any) per month.

ke6guj
10-09-2009, 2:29 PM
Called DOJ today and per her statement, mail order of C&R handguns directly to your home is not allowed kind of contradicts an earlier post in another thread.
whoever said that in another thread was incorrect per CADOJ's opinion, as you confirmed.

Also, ATF has directed DOJ that the C&R license is not to be "used" for anything else other than C&R per voice conversation, nothing documented. This statement was made in context of discussion on purchasing of more than one handgun (any) per month.why would ATF care if CA exempts licensed collectors tht have a COE from certain CA laws? The C&R is not "used" in that context, but CA says that anybody who is an 03 and has a COE is exempt from the 1-handgun-a-month law.

Same thing in that when a 03FFL buys a C&R firearm from an 01FFL, but does not "use" his 03 to exempt himself from the 4473. ATF has stated that he must still log the transaction into his bound book, because the transaction happened whiled he is license, even though he didn't "use" his 03. They stat that an 03FFL is licensed, he doesn't "use" his license.

Next thing they'll be saying is that you can't "use" your 03 as Proof of Residency for non-C&R handgun transfers.

razorx
10-09-2009, 2:47 PM
Doesn't make much sense, but what ATF may be suggesting is "don't make specific state laws dependent on FFL03". I could see a general concern from ATF that a state may piggyback on a federal license for internal state requirements. If I was ATF, I would tell the state use the COE for the exemption from the 1 handgun/month law, don't bring the FFL03 into it.

Dunno really.

razorx
10-15-2009, 3:20 PM
Just to close the loop on this with COE arrival. Arrived today with post date of 10/12. Will update initial post in this thread with timeline.

coop44
10-17-2009, 9:01 PM
My COE came in 10 days, it's been 4 weeks and I am still waiting on my 03