PDA

View Full Version : Strange story from an FFL

mj1
10-07-2009, 3:28 PM
Hope this is the right place to post this.

An FFL I have known for 20 years had an inspection. He had calguns on the PC screen and the inspector got all in his face and said that calguns was posting pictures of agents and their home address and making threats against inspectors. Is this true? He told me the agents have the big wood for calguners.

Or is this what this agent is being told at rollcall?

spegull03
10-07-2009, 3:29 PM
Is that supposed to be "Strange story?"

berto
10-07-2009, 3:31 PM
liar

KCM222
10-07-2009, 3:33 PM
Is that supposed to be "Strange story?"

If people were posting information like that on Calguns it would be a strange story.

bwiese
10-07-2009, 3:38 PM

An FFL I have known for 20 years had an inspection. He had calguns on the PC screen and the inspector got all in his face and said that calguns was posting pictures of agents and their home address and making threats against inspectors. Is this true? He told me the agents have the big wood for calguners.

Was this ATF or DOJ?

Calguns in the past (2006) discussed the status & appearance of a supposed undercover DOJ agent, Iggy Chinn. Nevermind that he'd appeared on TV before and lotsa folks knew him from various shenanigans. It actually got to be pretty funny but resulted in a small bit of drama because technically, Iggy was "undercover". (Iggy left the DOJ BoF apparently under pressure in 2007 and is now a beat cop in SF at age of 56? 58? - I think he's just completed field training....)

Nobody to our knowledge has made threats against inspectors. Nobody's that dumb. However, it is useful to know if these guys are trying to entrap you - that was what the interest was.

I will add that quite a few ATF and DOJ *inspectors* have a hard-on to be LEOs even though they're just that - inspectors, "field representatives", paper pushers. Authority to audit & examine, but no authority to arrest, etc. even though they may have fancy badges. [Very much akin to luggage handlers & gate agents at airports oftentimes having more epaulets & shoulder boards & badges than an airline captain or the Pretender to the Hungarian Admiralcy.]

So if I am ever again solicited for an illegal transation at a gunshow, instead of trying to figure out if it's illicit act by a bozo - vs. a trolling agent - I will just brace the bastard and place him under citizen's arrest, and call the local cops. At that point it's public info and newsworthy.

In general, our beefs here in CA have not been with BATF, they're far more professional in general than the DOJ BoFfers.
In fact, I hear that BATF holds the DOJ BoFfers in general contempt as the latter is rumored to have blown up some big investigations of some real bad dudes (biker/narco/etc.)

dfletcher
10-07-2009, 3:39 PM
The only LE I know of who may have had his likeness obliquely posted (as part of a news clip) on Calguns was a former DOJ officer with a penchant for self promotion with the local news stations.

B Strong
10-07-2009, 3:40 PM

It could be the agent BS'ing, the FFL BS'ing, or you BS'ing.

There was a story about the owner of Red's Trading Post taking photos of an ATF compliance inspector's vehicle and posting the pics online, but it wasn't posted at Calguns afaik.

This just smells like somebodie's tall tail.

wash
10-07-2009, 3:49 PM
So if I am ever again solicited for an illegal transation at a gunshow, instead of trying to figure out if it's illicit act by a bozo - vs. a trolling agent - I will just brace the bastard and place him under citizen's arrest, and call the local cops. At that point it's public info and newsworthy.
I'm glad I didn't ask to borrow your RAW FAL at the gun show...

dantodd
10-07-2009, 4:08 PM
Was this ATF or DOJ?

Calguns in the past (2006) discussed the status & appearance of a supposed undercover DOJ agent, Iggy Chinn. Nevermind that he'd appeared on TV before and lotsa folks knew him from various shenanigans. It actually got to be pretty funny but resulted in a small bit of drama because technically, Iggy was "undercover".

Why does that story remind me of the name Plame?

Fjold
10-07-2009, 4:11 PM
Good, it's working.

oaklander
10-07-2009, 4:13 PM
:D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-j71VD4aiFg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-j71VD4aiFg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

swhatb
10-07-2009, 4:32 PM
:King:

Was this ATF or DOJ?

Calguns in the past (2006) discussed the status & appearance of a supposed undercover DOJ agent, Iggy Chinn. Nevermind that he'd appeared on TV before and lotsa folks knew him from various shenanigans. It actually got to be pretty funny but resulted in a small bit of drama because technically, Iggy was "undercover". (Iggy left the DOJ BoF apparently under pressure in 2007 and is now a beat cop in SF at age of 56? 58? - I think he's just completed field training....)

Nobody to our knowledge has made threats against inspectors. Nobody's that dumb. However, it is useful to know if these guys are trying to entrap you - that was what the interest was.

I will add that many ATF inspectors have a hard-on to be LEOs even though many inspectors are just that - inspectors, "field representatives", paper pushers. No authority to arrest, etc. even though they may have fancy badges. [Very much akin to luggage handlers & gate agents at airports oftentimes having more epaulets & shoulder boards & badges than an airline captain or the Pretender to the Hungarian Admiralcy.]

In general, our beefs here in CA have not been with BATF, they're far more professional in general than the DOJ BoFfers.
In fact, I hear that BATF holds the DOJ BoFfers in general contempt as the latter is rumored to have blown up some big investigations of some real bad dudes (biker/narco/etc.)

redcliff
10-07-2009, 5:45 PM
:iggy:I was wonderring bout Iggy Chinn just the other day...how could we have this many posts about him without :iggy: showing up? :)

6172crew
10-07-2009, 6:19 PM

Did the inspector mention the wiretaps they were leaving in FFLs false ceilings?

I guess that wasnt worth mentioning.:D

tankerman
10-07-2009, 6:31 PM
I wish that thread where Iggy showed here and went ballistic, was allowed to stay open....it was by far the best thread of all time.

BigDogatPlay
10-07-2009, 6:43 PM
Gad I do so enjoy the line in that video that "law enforcement isn't happy" about BBs.

I wonder why that was?

joemama
10-07-2009, 7:02 PM
I wish that thread where Iggy showed here and went ballistic, was allowed to stay open....it was by far the best thread of all time.

Iggy actually made an account and posted on here? lol, he must have been quite the troll.

tankerman
10-07-2009, 7:08 PM
Iggy actually made an account and posted on here? lol, he must have been quite the troll.
It happened recently...an epic rant.

joemama
10-07-2009, 7:12 PM
awww, sucks I missed it.

sirnonz
10-07-2009, 7:12 PM
i am too new to know who "iggy" is :(

tankerman
10-07-2009, 7:13 PM
i am too new to know who "iggy" is :(

He's one of the reasons this place exists in it's current form.

dwtt
10-07-2009, 7:16 PM
Back a few years ago, Iggy went to all the cow palace gun shows and it was obvious who he was. I never would have thought he was an undercover agent by the publicity he gets and how all the dealers at the shows know him. Maybe he's in an undercover job at SFPD, like under a blanket, sleeping on a cot during the graveyard shift.

bones138
10-07-2009, 8:24 PM
It happened recently...an epic rant.

That thread wouldn't happen to have been saved by anyone would it? ;)

tankerman
10-07-2009, 9:10 PM
Tried to find it, probably disappeared into the CGN Blackhole Zone.....I'm sure the mods still have access to it.:rolleyes:

smokingloon
10-07-2009, 9:12 PM

can't believe I missed it. is the link still available?

technique
10-07-2009, 9:15 PM
Tried to find it, probably disappeared into the CGN Blackhole Zone.....I'm sure the mods still have access to it.:rolleyes:

I think I posted in that one.... He was all mad because when you googled his name you got a bunch of Calguns hits...Was that the one?

tankerman
10-07-2009, 9:19 PM
I think I posted in that one.... He was all mad because when you googled his name you got a bunch of Calguns hits...Was that the one?Bragged about his work being taught at the FBI academy or some BS, then went ape**** about folks posting his name, pictures, where he's was going to be etc, saying folks were endangering LEO by making those posts...Tried justifying his past antics. It was quite impressive.

Believe he actually necro-posted an old thread about himself, it was locked after a page or two of new posts were added.

I should have save the posts.

Jorge
10-07-2009, 9:20 PM
Aww, can't believe I missed the iggy thread. :( would love to read that one.

AJAX22
10-07-2009, 9:26 PM
Aww, can't believe I missed the iggy thread. :( would love to read that one.

Google him, his entire life, cell phone number, etc is on the web. (and its not like it wasn't archived out in cyberspace somewhere.

The Guy is (was) a shameless self promoter.

Now he's a beat cop in oakland.

helluva promotion ;)

technique
10-07-2009, 9:28 PM
Bragged about his work being taught at the FBI academy or some BS, then went ape**** about folks posting his name, pictures, where he's was going to be etc, saying folks were endangering LEO by making those posts...Tried justifying his past antics. It was quite impressive.

Believe he actually necro-posted an old thread about himself, it was locked after a page or two of new posts were added.

I should have save the posts.

Thats the one...I showed him his emoticon!!!

:iggy2:

AJAX22
10-07-2009, 9:31 PM
Heh,

He's never going to live down his rep as the great desk slayer.

Its amazing the amount of info we get from inside the DOJ/BOF... its almost like we have spies in there keeping tabs on those guys ;)

Blackhawk556
10-07-2009, 9:53 PM
Man I can't believe I missed it also. How long ago was this? Weeks? Months? Years ago?

technique
10-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Man I can't believe I missed it also. How long ago was this? Weeks? Months? Years ago?

Weeks...

It was a good one too. He started out by speaking of himself as if he was someone else....then we broke him down and he just couldn't contain himself:D

As TM said, he went ape ****!

It was like the scene from Full metal Jacket, we took our turns whackin him with the soap!!!

ke6guj
10-07-2009, 10:06 PM
oh, that was the thread in which someone mentiond that he was gonna be at Chabot? for a shooting competition, but then the weather went south so he didn't show up. I remember him popping in on that one.

7x57
10-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Weeks...

Geeze, I get my Calguns addiction under control, spend less time here for a while because I'm busy, and I miss *this*? :mad:

It's like a sign that I should never do anything but read Calguns. :D

7x57

Saigon1965
10-07-2009, 10:09 PM
He wishes he was back in Oakland - He's actually in SF with his pal Newsome -

Google him, his entire life, cell phone number, etc is on the web. (and its not like it wasn't archived out in cyberspace somewhere.

helluva promotion ;)

norcal77
10-07-2009, 10:13 PM

me too...I love watching people sink..it's good entertainment..

trashman
10-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Geeze, I get my Calguns addiction under control, spend less time here for a while because I'm busy, and I miss *this*? :mad:

It's like a sign that I should never do anything but read Calguns. :D

It was classic but kinda hard to watch; either one of Iggy's fanboys or the man himself was posting, but in either case the output was nearly incomprehensible.

It was fun until the feeding frenzy started ... :chris:

--Neill

G17GUY
10-07-2009, 11:22 PM
I can't believe I missed this. :o How do you know it wasn't someone messing around?

leelaw
10-07-2009, 11:27 PM
Weeks...

It was a good one too. He started out by speaking of himself as if he was someone else....then we broke him down and he just couldn't contain himself:D

As TM said, he went ape ****!

It was like the scene from Full metal Jacket, we took our turns whackin him with the soap!!!

It wasn't Iggy, it was an imposter.

Not a bad attempt for a troll.

helluva promotion ;)

He's a cop in the SF Tenderloin.

technique
10-07-2009, 11:29 PM
I can't believe I missed this. :o How do you know it wasn't someone messing around?

I wish I had thought of saving it...:(

You really had to be there to believe it. I do believe it was him, or someone had to have done some serious homework. You could tell whom ever it was on the other end was seriously flustered.

Some people countered his posts and he began to explain his rational behind his actions. It should be a sticky!:D

Mssr. Eleganté
10-07-2009, 11:59 PM
I remember that thread. I thought it might have been Iggy's son posting, which would have been...pretty...sad.

Poor kid. :(

wash
10-08-2009, 8:14 AM
Desk slayer?

What's the story behind that?

mj1
10-08-2009, 8:41 AM
So the answer is no or maybe?? Or just one time.

And why do you guys kill the messenger? It was just a yes or no question. I have no dog in this hunt.

I was hoping for a flat no.

geeknow
10-08-2009, 8:49 AM

...^^this^^...

I hope this thread is brought back to life...

Dr Rockso
10-08-2009, 9:08 AM

Hmm reminds me of something I read in a book once :chris:

sv_1
10-08-2009, 9:46 AM
Imposter or not it was one of the funniest things I've seen here!

B Strong
10-08-2009, 9:46 AM
Hmm reminds me of something I read in a book once :chris:

I always keep an M1 Garand clip handy myself.

technique
10-08-2009, 12:16 PM

And why do you guys kill the messenger? It was just a yes or no question. I have no dog in this hunt.

I would say there is no truth to that....have you ever seen an "agents" address posted here? Have we ever gone after them? I think not.

Of course if they troll here....well, now you know what happens and why they might be mad. The get found out and called out!

djleisure
10-08-2009, 2:31 PM
Wow. In that video that Oaklander posted the lady stated that "Everyone knows it is much easier for a kid to get an assault weapon than to get a decent meal these days." Is it? Is it really? Cuz I think I'm gonna start a "Meals for Machine Guns" program and start trading some Chalupa's for their "choppers"!

halifax
10-08-2009, 2:57 PM

Once you hit the Submit button you lose all control over the thread. That's just the way it is.

Clink on page two of nearly any thread here and start reading. You'd probably not be able discern what the OP was about.

:p

tankerman
10-08-2009, 6:23 PM
It was him.It wasn't Iggy, it was an imposter.

Not a bad attempt for a troll.

He's a cop in the SF Tenderloin.

Spyder
10-08-2009, 7:39 PM
Damnitt...I would LOOOOOVVVVEEEEeeeeeeeee to have seen that thread... *hint hint to anyone who has it*

leelaw
10-08-2009, 10:26 PM
It was him.

And you're so sure because..... ?

technique
10-08-2009, 11:18 PM
And you're so sure because..... ?

bring back the thread and let "the people" decide.:)

leelaw
10-08-2009, 11:29 PM
bring back the thread and let "the people" decide.:)

So you don't know. OK, just checking.

Meplat
10-08-2009, 11:37 PM
So, why dose LE think everyone with a badge should be the "secret police". I thought that was an affront to freedom. If you are a stand up guy your community will protect you. If you are a bully with a badge, well, good luck!

technique
10-09-2009, 12:42 AM

I do believe it was the Iggster...or as someone said a relative. Either way, a classic.

tankerman
10-09-2009, 6:59 AM

The posts had way too much emotional investment to be anyone but Iggy, not even a professional troll could hit that level.

I think you're trying to throw us off his trail.

B Strong
10-09-2009, 8:46 AM
So, why dose LE think everyone with a badge should be the "secret police". I thought that was an affront to freedom. If you are a stand up guy your community will protect you. If you are a bully with a badge, well, good luck!

I don't know about any Secret Police thing, but I've gotten more grief over the years - while being in full compliance with federal and state law - from off duty LEO's at the range than I've ever received in person from anti-gunners. At least I've converted a few anti's to the pov that guns aren't always evil.

To some officers, a civilian with better tackle and skills flips a mental switch.

There are certain officers and agencies in general that have a hard time accepting that it's legal for civilians to be armed, and have a even harder time accepting that some civilians might outstrip them in skills. It's a weird thing.

bwiese
10-09-2009, 9:51 AM
To some officers, a civilian with better tackle and skills flips a mental switch.

There are certain officers and agencies in general that have a hard time accepting that it's legal for civilians to be armed, and have a even harder time accepting that some civilians might outstrip them in skills. It's a weird thing.

Yup.

The Daly City PD officer staffing the Cow Palace show was heard by CGers saying all our black rifles should be illegal.

He did that in uniform.

B Strong
10-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Yup.

The Daly City PD officer staffing the Cow Palace show was heard by CGers saying all our black rifles should be illegal.

He did that in uniform.

When I brought in the Noveske for show and tell at the CG booth, the officer that checked it at entry to make sure it was clear was a Noveske fan, and gave me no grief - it's just the luck of the draw I guess.

Recently I had a little weirdness from an LEO at Jackson Arms.

I was doing the failure drill with my USP Expert in .45 when the guy came over and started chatting me up between strings. I had run the target back from approx. 10 yds, and was point shooting two to center mass, one to the head on a B27. He complimented me on my shooting, and asked me pretty standard gunnie questions until he told me what agency he worked for, and asked me what agency I worked for - when I told him I was the COS for... - I didn't get any farther - the guy actually told me that I shouldn't be practicing what I was practicing! He told me "no civilian has to worry about targets w/ body armor."

Guy's whole demeanor changed in a second. I don't know if he thought I was training to shoot LEO's or was some sort of crank, or what.

Strange that the guy would be shooting in a civilian facility and be that uptight.

leelaw
10-09-2009, 3:29 PM
The posts had way too much emotional investment to be anyone but Iggy, not even a professional troll could hit that level.

I think you're trying to throw us off his trail.

I'm throwing you off his trail... while identifying the correct city that he works for, and even the beat he's assigned at the same time.

Que?

tankerman
10-09-2009, 4:13 PM
I'm throwing you off his trail... while identifying the correct city that he works for, and even the beat he's assigned at the same time.

Que?
Que? is right...this isn't about where he lives or works, this is about a thread.

I thought you knew that.