PDA

View Full Version : Trying to understand NRF/NeRF

stom_m3
10-07-2009, 1:59 PM
So I understand that a LEO can purchase an unlisted CA DOJ handgun roster and sell it via private party transfer (please correct me if that's not correct). I also thought I read that you can purchase a pistol frame only that's not on the CA DOJ list and reassemble here and that would be acceptable as well. Is this true? Thanks for the clarification,

steven

wildhawker
10-07-2009, 2:04 PM
It has been requested that we do not NRF due to ongoing legal matters. Post-incorp., PeŮa will effectively kill the Roster.

5hundo
10-07-2009, 2:05 PM
It's true, but it's not exactly that easy...

I have friends that work at Alameda County who say that the Sheriff won't really let them buy any off-list pistols, unless they can justify the purchase with some kind of letter (or something)...

...or course, he might have just been telling me that to get me off his back about a Russian Makarov but I can't say for sure.

CHS
10-07-2009, 2:34 PM
It's true, but it's not exactly that easy...

I have friends that work at Alameda County who say that the Sheriff won't really let them buy any off-list pistols, unless they can justify the purchase with some kind of letter (or something)...

No one has to "let" an LEO buy an off-roster pistol, they are exempt from the roster just by virtue of being LEO's.

All they have to do is go into the store and pick the off-roster pistol they want. It's not like an AW where they need an approval letter.

5hundo
10-07-2009, 2:53 PM
All they have to do is go into the store and pick the off-roster pistol they want. It's not like an AW where they need an approval letter.

Hmmmm....

It must be this then:

...or course, he might have just been telling me that to get me off his back about a Russian Makarov...

M. D. Van Norman
10-07-2009, 3:00 PM
If itís a military-surplus Makarov, it is C&R and thus exempt from the roster.

5hundo
10-07-2009, 3:04 PM
If itís a military-surplus Makarov, it is C&R and thus exempt from the roster.

Tell that to virtually every 01 FFL I've talked to... :rolleyes:

I usually get the "If it ain't on the list, we ain't dealing with it" reply...

bwiese
10-07-2009, 3:09 PM
No one has to "let" an LEO buy an off-roster pistol, they are exempt from the roster just by virtue of being LEO's.

100% correct. There's even a DOJ letter that was on the DOJ website saying (in essence) "LEO ID/badge is good enough, no dept. permission needed."

It's likely still out there somewhere.

bwiese
10-07-2009, 3:13 PM
So I understand that a LEO can purchase an unlisted CA DOJ handgun roster and sell it via private party transfer (please correct me if that's not correct).

True. He probably should not do that as a business or service, but just that he happened to find himself unhappy with that handgun and needed to recover some funds.

I also thought I read that you can purchase a pistol frame only that's not on the CA DOJ list and reassemble here and that would be acceptable as well. Is this true?

Frames indeed are not Rosterable, though certain parties at DOJ dispute that.

However, we are asking folks and FFLs to hold off on NeRFs, as the CGF & SAF "Roster case" (Pena v. Cid) will ultimately take the Roster down - and in not that long of a time frame.

M. D. Van Norman
10-07-2009, 3:43 PM
Tell that to virtually every 01 FFL Iíve talked to Ö :rolleyes:

I usually get the ďIf it ainít on the list, we ainít dealing with itĒ reply Ö

You may want to look into getting a C&R FFL. :D

CHS
10-07-2009, 3:53 PM
Tell that to virtually every 01 FFL I've talked to... :rolleyes:

I usually get the "If it ain't on the list, we ain't dealing with it" reply...

Where are you located? I know of a couple SoCal dealers that will do it for you.

5hundo
10-07-2009, 4:09 PM
Where are you located? I know of a couple SoCal dealers that will do it for you.

South Bay, Torrance/Lomita area...

I've tried Turners and Sharpshooter.

You may want to look into getting a C&R FFL. :D

Already got one but it's no good for pistols. You still have to DROS... (unless the pistol is an "antique")

djleisure
10-07-2009, 4:22 PM
I've tried Turners and Sharpshooter.

There's the problem, right there.

ke6guj
10-07-2009, 4:29 PM
100% correct. There's even a DOJ letter that was on the DOJ website saying (in essence) "LEO ID/badge is good enough, no dept. permission needed."

It's likely still out there somewhere.
Yup, its still there, hiding in the Archive section

Policy Change Regarding State Exemptions for Authorized Peace Officers
Effective immediately, peace officers who have legislative authority to carry and use firearms may, without a letter signed by the head of their agency or the agency head's designee, purchase non-rostered handguns and/or large capacity magazines. The peace officer must present a valid peace officer identification card and the dealer must retain a copy of the identification card on file. (PC 12132 & 12133). A letter is still required from the head of the agency to exempt the peace officer from the ten day waiting period. (PC 12078). http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/exemptpo.php

South Bay, Torrance/Lomita area...

I've tried Turners and Sharpshooter. yup, as mentioned above, try some different FFLs. Heck, last I heard, Turners transfer fee was $125+DROS, and I think they even raised it higher at one point. Perhaps the new management will get it back in line. But, I do know that Turners has sold handguns that were roster exempt due to C&R status before. The CZ-52 pistols and a couple makavov-pattern firearms, IIRC, have been sold at Turners in the last couple years.

Shane916
10-07-2009, 8:11 PM
However, we are asking folks and FFLs to hold off on NeRFs, as the CGF & SAF "Roster case" (Pena v. Cid) will ultimately take the Roster down - and in not that long of a time frame.

Intriguing case. Where does it currently stand today in the legal process?

CHS
10-07-2009, 8:16 PM
Intriguing case. Where does it currently stand today in the legal process?

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Pena_v_Cid

M. D. Van Norman
10-08-2009, 6:58 AM
Already got one but itís no good for pistols. You still have to DROS.Ö

An FFL-03 is great for pistols! Yes, they still have to be registered, but when you buy out of state, there is no California DROS involved.