PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPS Modified to DROS as Single Shot?

AMDG
10-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Ok, so the PPS is not on the roster.

Here is my question.. Let's say you replace the PPS magazine with a sled (this could be a PPS magazine that's been modified not to accept any ammunition) and a magazine locking devise is places on the firearm. This would be easy because the PPS mag release runs with the profile of the trigger guard so all you would have to do is "clamp" the trigger guard and mag release together with some metal and screw(s). Now you have a single-shot exempt from the roster.

Does this work?

(I realize the roster's time is limited).

ke6guj
10-07-2009, 12:51 PM
YOu still have to meet the dimensional requirements, so you'll also need to extend the barrel to make length.

12133(b) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-shot pistol with a barrel length of not less than six inches and that has an overall length of at least 10 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.

AMDG
10-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks, Jack.

Another dream dashed!

bwiese
10-07-2009, 1:15 PM
Ok, so the (Walther) PPS is not on the roster.

Here is my question.. Let's say you replace the PPS magazine with a sled (this could be a PPS magazine that's been modified not to accept any ammunition)

So far, so good... I'd use a PPS mag body with filler/epoxy (a la "dummy" training magazines - which, if they exist for this gun, would serve admirably).

and a magazine locking device is placed on the firearm. Yes, just for safety's sake I'd also lock the mag (screw in place of mag catch) for more demonstrable clarity. Probably not necessary, but I'd like to stay on the right side of the "bright line".

This would be easy because the PPS mag release runs with the profile of the trigger guard so all you would have to do is "clamp" the trigger guard and mag release together with some metal and screw(s). Now you have a single-shot exempt from the roster.OK, fine, you're more familiar with the PPS than I am.

Does this work?Well, you also need a min. 6" length, and 10.5" overall length measured parallel to the bore. So you might need a 7+" barrel (or somewhere up there).

Also, I think for clarity such a bbl should not have a feedramp. That clearly shows single-shot status, esp in combo with above.

Those bbls'd be hard to find. But a simple 22LR bbl - or better yet, 25ACP - with a cutout to allow a fingernail to remove the spent case, along with a stiff action spring to avoid cycling - could be fashioned relatively easily.

NB: the barrel must be rifled, so you don't end up with a smoothbore pistol (illegal).

ETA: oops, see Jack beat me to it.

yellowfin
10-07-2009, 1:44 PM
Those bbls'd be hard to find. But a simple 22LR bbl - or better yet, 25ACP - with a cutout to allow a fingernail to remove the spent case, along with a stiff action spring to avoid cycling - could be fashioned relatively easily. You only need one or two of them at a time. Use them to get PPS's in state, swap them out, then send them back and repeat.

bwiese
10-07-2009, 1:47 PM
You only need one or two of them at a time. Use them to get PPS's in state, swap them out, then send them back and repeat.

Correct, "lending library". Kinda like Springfield SASS rifle caliber uppers for 1911s.

tba02
10-07-2009, 3:59 PM
Well, you also need a min. 6" length, and 10.5" overall length measured parallel to the bore.
Damn, that's gonna be tough for the PPS or the PK380.

bwiese
10-07-2009, 4:06 PM
Damn, that's gonna be tough for the PPS or the PK380.

Cheap shot out 22LR barrels or 22LR barrel blanks lathed for the job.